[Release] XAI (Xbox Addon Installer)

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
whufclee

[Release] XAI (Xbox Addon Installer)

Post by whufclee »

UPDATE - There is a new installer on the block:
The XAI is now depreciated, please install Addons4Xbox Installer from SVN Repo Installer (Passion repo>plugins>programs)
Anyone who uses XAI and asks me a question about why it's not working properly will be shot.

Ok maybe that's a bit harsh... let's just say DON'T ask for fixes to the installer. It served it's purpose as a stop-gap solution but fortunately the boys have worked on A4X Installer and it's working sweet. I cannot guatantee the safety of anyone who can't be bothered to read this and asks for help on XAI, there is a good chance i may hunt you down and torture you. I may force you to watch Glee, the missus has just forced me into watching an episode and I can tell you I think I'd rather have my toenails removed with pliers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About XAI:The easiest way to install addons. Basically it's a revamped version of SVN Repo Installer but it only has addons that are confirmed as "working on xbox", most of which are not available on SVN Repo Installer. If you find an addon isn't working then please post the details on here with a debug log (posted on pastebin.com) and I'll remove that particular addon until the problem can be fixed.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
DOWNLOAD Installer here
Extract to Q:\plugins\programs
Last edited by whufclee on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
xanderten50

Re: [Release] XAI (Xbox Addon Installer)

Post by xanderten50 »

That would answer my question then, cheers :D
Good signatures are hard to come by...
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

@Lee
XAI is on Jans EnglishXBMC4XBOX but when You work with it .
Install no Scriptmodule from XAI on Jan'sEnglishXBMC4XBOX V2.1 .
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Thanks Jan, updated OP.
infinity8x3

Post by infinity8x3 »

whufclee thank you so much for this Addon Installer. Becuase of you I was able to add things to xbmc4xbox that i was not able to add before, and opened up a whole new doorway of cool stuff to make my xbox even more epic.

I'm writing becuase i would like to ask you if its possible to add [removed] to the list of installable plugins in your app. PLZ plz plz. apparently im to dumb to do it myself believe me i have tried. And icefilms.... well I'm lucky to get a fraction of the videos to work in there.

I'm not sure if it can even be done, because I'm sure if it was easy to do you would have done it by now. Also jans version is not an option for me While i appreciate there work and i know ppl swear by it. I'm more of a minimalist and like to stay with stable releases from buzz.
Got a pit bull?
http://mypitbullpro.com
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I have had a chat with Jan about this before. Ideally I'd like everything to be in there but currently Jan just sends me a pack of his latest addons every now and then so I only add what he gives me permisiion to add. I'm hoping Jan will accept my invitation to be become an administrator for the repository which would make things a little easier as he can then update whenever he wants. I think the problem with [removed] is that it requires the special URL Resolver in the plugin directory and also the modified script modules - as soon as it's feasable it will be added! I could add the URL Resolver to XAI but it's not an ideal solution, maybe I'll have another chat with Jan and see what he thinks.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

What is XAi!

XAI ist the AddonInstaller from Lee , he have nothing to do with the addons on it!
Lee look in the free time that a find plugins and scripts what works on xbox and put this on the XAi but most addons and dependencies have i adapted that she works and give it to lee that he can it added to XAI!
But this is a bad situation . The user thinks oh is nice i can install and she not see the work or what is wrong and nobody Donate for xbmc4xbox!
And nobody understand what we will have for changes on The Source that the Xbox 1 live a little longer with a working xbmc!
The Situation on Xbmc4xbox is this :
We have on active Developer on the Sources : BuzZ
We have Two active Developer that make Skins : XBS , Domexecutiner
We have on active Man what adapted addons and scriptmodule from Mainline (XBMC) : Skatulskijean

I adapt the addons and script in the hope that more users come to xbmc4xbox back and make a donation for xbmc4xbox!
That is the situation why i adapt the addons and scripts from main xbmc, why i make Jan'sEnglish and GermanXbmc4Xbox!
And that is why the user can have 1 Channel and all the others addons from main xbmc (Eden) !

When this will not work i stop my working for xbmc4xbox !

What is the right solution for a Addon- Installer:

The AddonInstaller look on the addon.xml from the addon or script and install the addon and all dependencies (Scriptmodule, other addons what it will have that's work) and this is this what not work with XAI!

Lee you make a exellent work on your free Time but i think change to a new strucktur with adapted from main xbmc (Eden)
with a A note with a request to donate for xbmc4xbox and why!
I think the old youtube plugin from main xbmc dharma Version 2.14 was the only addon what access dependencies (scriptmodule simplejson) by a install with addon4xboxinstaller please have a look on it!

Sorry , you have many do for xbmc4xbox but please understand what i mean!

Edit 1 have not read your Post before ( my main language is german , most time i llook what i write that anywhere understand what i mean ! i look that i have time on this evening to make a tutorial to add 1 channel to base 3.2 build from BuzZ!
My Kids have holiday and i have not time the next week for xbmc4xbox!
But when i come back we lock what we can do to solve problems and find a solution for the user and for me that i can live with this!

Regards jan
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

+1

I completely agree that we could do with a proper installer which searches to see if there are updates and also installs the dependencies. XAI can search for updates (because it's based on SVN Repo Installer) and Addons4Xbox Installer can install dependencies but neither can do both. I spent 2 years trying to find a solution but have no coding experience which is why I had to settle for XAI - it's better than what we had but certainly not perfect. I know what needs to be done, just don't know how to do it! I have asked for help on xbmc, xbmchub and xbmc4xbox forums but there just doesn't seem to be any xbox Python coders out there willing to help :-(
AwesomeNurd

Post by AwesomeNurd »

I don't have the Q: drive, how can I get it??
Thanks
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

The Q partition will only show if you ftp whilst xbmc4xbox is running (it's a mirror of your install directory), it's fine to ftp plugins and stuff whilst xbmc is running - you just can't update the actual build this way which is why you should boot into another dash when updating the actual build. If you are ftp'ing with another dash then just stick it in the relevant xbmc4xbox install directory, probably something like E:\Apps\XBMC.
noyus

Post by noyus »

whufclee, can you make a way to download the files in the repository to the PC instead of directly to the Xbox? Some of them do not download properly (hang up in middle of download).

EDIT: Found it. https://code.google.com/p/addons4xbox/
Too bad you can't see the download files.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

If you want to download to PC (Windows) install TortoiseSVN, right click on a folder where you want them to go and click on ToroiseSVN>Checkout. Just enter the repo link and it will download the whole thing.
Klimator

Post by Klimator »

Hi whufclee

I just downloaded and installed your links then downloaded all the scripts & plugins (after the modules) but only Alaska hd works, the rest give a script error message. Are these all out of date now? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and I'm not having any success with plugins and scripts even with xbmc4xbox installer. Can anyone help, I feel like crying lol
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

The few that I'm using are still working, can you paste a debug log on pastebin?

I've not been informed that any have stopped working recently, as soon as someone lets me know something's broken I'll take a look at it and see if I can fix it - if I can't then it gets removed.

Occasionally when ftp'ing a new build (especially from a Mac) it ignores the script modules that come pre-installed with the build and this can cause problems similar to what you're having so check you have xbmcaddon, beautifulsoup and simplejson in your scripts/modules folder. I don't host these on XAI as they come pre-installed with the builds and the build versions will always be the most up to date. Check that first but it could be any number of things so if that doesn't work give us a debug log to check.

If you want to chat online about any problems then install teamspeak and you'll find a few of us online at xphazers server. Take a look here for more info.
Klimator

Post by Klimator »

whufclee wrote:The few that I'm using are still working, can you paste a debug log on pastebin?

I've not been informed that any have stopped working recently, as soon as someone lets me know something's broken I'll take a look at it and see if I can fix it - if I can't then it gets removed.

Occasionally when ftp'ing a new build (especially from a Mac) it ignores the script modules that come pre-installed with the build and this can cause problems similar to what you're having so check you have xbmcaddon, beautifulsoup and simplejson in your scripts/modules folder. I don't host these on XAI as they come pre-installed with the builds and the build versions will always be the most up to date. Check that first but it could be any number of things so if that doesn't work give us a debug log to check.

If you want to chat online about any problems then install teamspeak and you'll find a few of us online at xphazers server. Take a look here for more info.
Thanks for your reply whufclee. I deleted the reinstalled xbmc4xbox then checked to make sure I only used the latest scripts/programs instead of rushing in. So far so good :D
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

Hey Lee, (and friends) Long time since I've posted here, so I was just curious if you guys have been keeping this installer's repo upto date latley and does anyone still use it or has the majority been using Jan's builds? Can you guys bring me upto speed :)
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

To be honest mate I've got a lot of shit going on at the moment so I've not been doing anything with this. Jan's been doing a great job of adapting the addons from mainbranch and he would prefer them not to be included on this repo so that's where we're currently at. I've offered to give admin rights to anyone that wants to keep this project alive but so far no offers. Dom did briefly mention to me on Teamspeak he might be interested in looking at the code to see if he can implement auto-updates and stuff but that was a while back and I've not heard anything else.

I think you should still have admin rights to the repo kozz so if you want to have a play arond with it be my guest, like I said unfortunately I have a lot of stuff going on right now so for the forseeable future at least I'm out of the scene :(
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

whufclee wrote:To be honest mate I've got a lot of shit going on at the moment so I've not been doing anything with this. Jan's been doing a great job of adapting the addons from mainbranch and he would prefer them not to be included on this repo so that's where we're currently at.
why is this ?
infinity8x3

Post by infinity8x3 »

BuZz wrote:
whufclee wrote:To be honest mate I've got a lot of shit going on at the moment so I've not been doing anything with this. Jan's been doing a great job of adapting the addons from mainbranch and he would prefer them not to be included on this repo so that's where we're currently at.
why is this ?
Yeah why? Reason I ask is because I'm a minimalist And like to add what I will actually use and want on a base stock build of xbmc4xbox. Jan's build while I really respect his work (I really wish I could find better words for this as i mean no disrespect by this) is to bloated for me. And half the fun of xbox modding is setting stuff up your self, least for me it is.

It like coinops vs xport/madmab emulators. One is completely done for you while the others needs setting up. They both have pro's and con's but I'm sure you can tell which side of that fence I'm more on.
Got a pit bull?
http://mypitbullpro.com
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

When it comes to the license of the scripts, and the modifications of them, there is no reason why this cannot be added to the xbox addon installer, hence my wish for clarification on the issue.