Proper Release Method for Addons

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
mwaterbu

Proper Release Method for Addons

Post by mwaterbu »

Hello, I have recently taught myself some basic Python, so I decided to write a couple addons for XBMC. As they may be useful for others as well, I am wondering what is the best way to go about making them available. Also, right now, I just have a single default.py file for each of these. Do I need follow some sort of "proper" format?

The two addons I have written are:

Clear Cache - I know things like this may already exist, but this just clears the cache drives on the XBOX HDD (X, Y, and Z) and also the cache folder on the E drive, and then restarts XBMC. Very simple, but effective. This was nice for learning Python.

Update XBMC - Again, this may already exist, but I have not seen it, so I have written a script to update XBMC to a new version without using an external dashboard. You just FTP the new XBMC folder to your XBOX, run the script, and it takes care of the rest. No need to worry about copying old data over as you can choose to do this in the script. The update took me about 45 seconds.

Let me know if any of this sounds helpful as I would definitely like to release it, like I said, just wondering what the best way to do this is.
Thanks!
skatulskijean

Re: Proper Release Method for Addons

Post by skatulskijean »

mwaterbu wrote:Hello, I have recently taught myself some basic Python, so I decided to write a couple addons for XBMC. As they may be useful for others as well, I am wondering what is the best way to go about making them available. Also, right now, I just have a single default.py file for each of these. Do I need follow some sort of "proper" format?

The two addons I have written are:

Clear Cache - I know things like this may already exist, but this just clears the cache drives on the XBOX HDD (X, Y, and Z) and also the cache folder on the E drive, and then restarts XBMC. Very simple, but effective. This was nice for learning Python.

Update XBMC - Again, this may already exist, but I have not seen it, so I have written a script to update XBMC to a new version without using an external dashboard. You just FTP the new XBMC folder to your XBOX, run the script, and it takes care of the rest. No need to worry about copying old data over as you can choose to do this in the script. The update took me about 45 seconds.

Let me know if any of this sounds helpful as I would definitely like to release it, like I said, just wondering what the best way to do this is.
Thanks!
what for a day a xbmc4xbox user look on this was he will have and make a plugin!
I think the best best solutution ito release this is on the xbmc4xbox repo!
But i think you can make one plugin or script from the two scripts under the name xbox tools nice where you add a new fuction simple to install the codecs for the veetle addon to it!
it give many more ideas to make this to a propper helper plugin for xbmc 4xbox!
When you want help pim me!

regards jan