error code 05

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
futurechamp

error code 05

Post by futurechamp »

good day everyone,

i am new here so forgive me if this is in the wrong category or something like that. i had an softmodded xbox for like 10 years and it recently just stopped working. it worked well a couple months ago and i wanted to play some classics again, but it doesnt open. nothing happens when i press the power button. anyway, i bought an used xbox a couple days ago and i thought, that just installing the old hdd would allow me to play with all my mods and games again, but the only thing that happens when i push the power button is that it opens an error screen with the code 05. can i use my old hdd? what should i do guys? i really want to play my childhood games again and i need your help. any response is appreciated. and sorry for my bad english.
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: error code 05

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

With a softmod you can't just replace the HDD from another Xbox. The HDD has to be locked using the eeprom from the Xbox it is going to be used in. The eeprom is in effect a security code that locks the HDD to the specific Xbox's MB.

Your old Xbox's HDD is now locked to that the old Xbox's eeprom and if you put it in the new Xbox the error you get is.........05 which is what you have discovered for yourself.

AFAIK there is no easy solution if the eeprom from the old Xbox was not backed up to PC or external memory of some sort.
With the Xbox not powering up I'm not sure how you would get the eeprom off the old Xbox now.

There is a good chance the reason your old Xbox is not powering up is because a component on the power board has failed. It is possible to swap Xbox power boards BUT you must be very careful that it is from an identical Xbox. There is some cross compatibility but you need to know what you're doing to be sure or you risk bricking both the old Xbox for good, ruining the power board and electrocuting yourself.

In short: get more advice before doing anything of that sort.