Keeping "user data" when updating build

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
LudviG

Keeping "user data" when updating build

Post by LudviG »

First off, sad to see that the old forum is gone, i had quite alot of post i had bookmarked for the info in them. The old forum was full of good information, but i hope this forum will be just as good :)

And now over to my question, wich i had asked on the old forum too.

I am going to update my main x-box to the latest build, but i want to keep watched status and so on since my madam uses it to keep track. What folders/files must i then keep?
Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
xman

Re: Keeping "user data" when updating build

Post by xman »

Keep your whole userdata if your build isn't real old but even if it is, you can still keep your thumbnails etc. Just open up your userdata and look through it and most of it can actually be saved even on old builds. If you leave your old build as your booting build and "copy" portions of your old build's userdata to the new and then try as you go, you will see if the old data is to old and incompatible . If you copy over a portion of your userdata that "upsets" the new build, just delete that part out and move on. Once you have all the userdata portions that have the new build running with no problems, then make the new build your default build. I have done this on real old builds but just be careful and don't make your new build your booting till you are finished. That way, if you do stuff it up, just delete out the last portion that you just copied from the old build when you reboot. Also, "copy" and don't "move" the portion.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

xman wrote:Keep your whole userdata if your build isn't real old but even if it is, you can still keep your thumbnails etc. Just open up your userdata and look through it and most of it can actually be saved even on old builds. If you leave your old build as your booting build and "copy" portions of your old build's userdata to the new and then try as you go, you will see if the old data is to old and incompatible . If you copy over a portion of your userdata that "upsets" the new build, just delete that part out and move on. Once you have all the userdata portions that have the new build running with no problems, then make the new build your default build. I have done this on real old builds but just be careful and don't make your new build your booting till you are finished. That way, if you do stuff it up, just delete out the last portion that you just copied from the old build when you reboot. Also, "copy" and don't "move" the portion.
I will try that :) The build is not that old, maybe 4 months so it should not be a problem then :)
Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@LudviG
Or use XBMC SVN Installer, see the wiki page for a step through guide.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p=494#p494
EDgeofNJ

Post by EDgeofNJ »

@Dan Dar3 - thanks for updating your plugin to the new location.

@xman it looks like my library doesn't work on the newer build. i am upgrading from 31117 (to 31191). would i be able to just reconfigure my video source folders and rescan or should i go through the folder copying process as you suggested? what type of regression testing would you recommend to check that my userdata folder is working as expected? if i have to do a fresh install, what settings, if any, would i have to reconfigure? apologies in advance as it's been a while since i've done a fresh install. thanks!