Switching over the XBMC4XBOX

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
jinx2131

Switching over the XBMC4XBOX

Post by jinx2131 »

Hey everyone,

I'm sure for the people in the 'know', and guys who have been at this scene for a long time, you're going to be really annoyed at this question. BUT:

I am running UnleashX as my main dash right now. My question is: What is the safest, easiest way to have my main dashboard as XBMC4XBOX? I have tried to look this up before, but it seems very convuluted and over my head so far. I'm guessing there is not really a simple answer. Any help (or even mocking) would be appreciated! Also, does XBMC have the ability to update within the actual dashboard? Thanks for your time.
Nextelhalo

Re: Switching over the XBMC4XBOX

Post by Nextelhalo »

The safest way really depends on how your xbox is modded. It's very easy to do but need to know that first.
We all try to help out here without mocking anyone, to me that's what separates this forum from the rest.
Let us know how the xbox is modded and if the hard drive is larger than stock and we'll guide you there.

Cheers,

Nextelhalo
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
jinx2131

Post by jinx2131 »

Quick reply! Thank you.... Now I'll see if I can actually answer the questions.

I'm pretty sure it's a TB drive. At the very least is 500GB... but I'm pretty sure a TB drive.
The mod chip used is the DuoX3 (I realize this is not good and one of the cheap knock-off, so that may be a problem).

I am not a complete noob. I know how to FTP and all that. It's the flashing of the BIOS and EEPROM Stuff that confuses me.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Well the good news is that you have a chipped xbox with a badass hard drive. This could be done two ways.
1. Find out what BIOS your using on this modchip, if it's X2_5035 or Indi-bios you can just edit a small text file on your hard drive that will make the xbox boot to XBMC. No other BIOS that i'm aware of has this option.
If your using another BIOS like X2_4980 there is still a very easy way to do this.

2. Second option- there is an XBMC short cut file you can FTP to your hard drive, this shortcut will replace the .xbe of your current dashboard. Best thing to do now is look at where UnleashX is on your hard drive, need to know if it's in F or maybe C and then you can go from there.

Check your BIOS version first, boot up XBMC and go into system info, under the Hardware option it should tell you your current (detected) BIOS. Start there and let me know what you got.

Nextelhalo
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
Debug kit untouched
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

I think that the easiest way to set your xbox to boot directly into xbmc might be with Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc, it has an option to do exactly that, and since you have a modchip you wont be in too much trouble if it does go wrong. All you need to do is figure out where your current xbmc is installed, its usually in one of two places, either your e:/apps/xbmc folder or your f:/apps/xbmc folder. If it is in one of these two locations then you can download extract and burn the disc image then boot it up on your xbox and choose: *5. Dashboard Tools > *5.1. Switch Dashboards > *5.1.2.3. Switch to XBMC on E if your xbmc is installed in the E:/ partition or *5.1.2.4. Switch to XBMC on F if its in the F:/ partition. Then reboot without the disc in the drive and it should be now booting directly into xbmc.
Case closed ;)

Since the original xbmc4xbox site is down I cant provide the direct download link but heres a torrent link for you Download Hexen - Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

That could be the easiest way but if he's got a bios you can edit on the fly it's even easier, no dealing with a disc. Also.......what if it's a slim?
Debug kit untouched
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

Yeah your completely right Nex, I didnt actually see your second post there till after I posted so I didnt know where you were going with it, Editing your bios boot location can be easy so lets hope this is the case, I know that the hexen disc method is the same as the shortcut you mentioned in your second option just automated. So for now we might say that there are 3 possible options for jinx to choose :)
xman

Post by xman »

I think his using a cheap Chinese chip called an X3 and is more like an Aladdin than an Excuter X3. It is a pig to flash and comes pre flashed with an m8 or m8+ bios, (switch on chip selects 1.0-1.5 OR 1.6). It has nothing in common with "THE X3" we know having only 2 x 256k bioses on board. It does work straight away with Slayers so it boots to EvoxDash by default. I just use Slayers to set the default link to XBMC and your away. I have a number of these chips if they are the same I think your talking about, (X3 Logo on the bios flash screen?)
duo x3 1_6.jpg
cbagy

Post by cbagy »

Of course it could be an evox bios on the chip, if so
Check your c drive on the xbox, if it has an xbe called evoxdash.xbe, thats around 60kb (other dashboards/hacks/mods use this shortcut method too), its a shortcut to your hacked dash.
This hacked dash is usually found on e, f or even g partition. Perhaps in a folder called dash, unleashx or whatever.
Anywho, if you do have this shortcut on your c drive, then all you need is "XBE Shortcut Maker" (for your PC).

First step is to create a folder on your xbox for XBMC4XBOX, call it XBMC, dash or whatever floats your boat.
You could of course use its existing folder, whether that be E:\Apps\XBMC or whatever, doesnt really matter.
I personally like things nice n neat so i create a folder on E partition called XBMC.
Copy or move your existing XBMC folder contents to this new folder, or, leave the XBMC install where it is, its up to you.

Open xbe shortcut maker on your pc, enter its location and name in the fields (eg- name= XBMC, location= E:\XBMC\default.xbe), save your new shortcut somewhere ie- desktop.
FTP new shortcut (60kb) to root of xbox C partition, reboot xbox, done and working.

Of course a different bios on the chip may require a txt file edit ie- like an X2 config file etc.
Usually on E, though it can have a more complex to set up.
jinx2131

Post by jinx2131 »

Wow - Thanks for all the great replies fellas. I'm heading out of town for a few days so I'm going to work on this when I get back. Then I'll look into the different options.
For some reason (when I first got the box I was looking into it), I think it is the cheaper chinese chip that was previously mentioned. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks again!
jokster

Post by jokster »

i have a DuoX3 in my crystal and i use the shortcut method and then just edit cfg file when i want to boot to a new version.
its a doddle to do