Update softmodded xbox

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Firas64

Update softmodded xbox

Post by Firas64 »

hello guys
i have bought a softmodded xbox with 160gb HDD and i wonder if there some easy way to update it?
someone told me to update the dashboard,xbmc and flash the bios but i dont know any of this [Profanity Removed]
my current XBMC version is 3.1 .
also i want to format the HDD and install a new games and emulators
Best regards!
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Update softmodded xbox

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

If it is a softmod you definitely do not want to be flashing the BIOS. That only applies to chipped and TSOPed machines.

You need to make sure that it actually is a softmod first because any specific advice about updating the main dash will depend on whether it is a softmod or not.

First thing to do would be to find and download XBM4Xbox v3.5.3 which I think is still the current latest version but do not try to install it yet.

As you're a relative noob to this stuff if it is a softmod the safest bet would be to use Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tools package. That includes most of the stuff you're likely to need and more. So if you can find that too and download but not use it yet that would probably be a sensible idea too. HeXEn (Heimdall's Xbox Engineering dis) or AID (Auto Installer Deluxe) v4.53 (the final version) are also good alternatives.

If you're not certain about the formatting of the already installed 160GB HDD then find XBPartitioner v1.3 or Rocky5's Chimp261812 (which maybe included in his softmod pacakge - not sure). Either will sort out the formatting if there is anything that needs sorting.
Firas64

Post by Firas64 »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:20 pm If it is a softmod you definitely do not want to be flashing the BIOS. That only applies to chipped and TSOPed machines.

You need to make sure that it actually is a softmod first because any specific advice about updating the main dash will depend on whether it is a softmod or not.

First thing to do would be to find and download XBM4Xbox v3.5.3 which I think is still the current latest version but do not try to install it yet.

As you're a relative noob to this stuff if it is a softmod the safest bet would be to use Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tools package. That includes most of the stuff you're likely to need and more. So if you can find that too and download but not use it yet that would probably be a sensible idea too. HeXEn (Heimdall's Xbox Engineering dis) or AID (Auto Installer Deluxe) v4.53 (the final version) are also good alternatives.

If you're not certain about the formatting of the already installed 160GB HDD then find XBPartitioner v1.3 or Rocky5's Chimp261812 (which maybe included in his softmod pacakge - not sure). Either will sort out the formatting if there is anything that needs sorting.
[/quonot
OK man thx thats helpful i will try hexen 2017 disc or whatever but if i flashed the tosp i will gain more performance and compatibility or not ?
should i flash the BIOS ?
and what are you mean download the latest version of XBMC and dont install it ?
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I thought I was making this clear; if it is a softmod it is not a case of choosing whether to flash the BIOS or not it is that you must not attempt it or you risk bricking the thing entirely.

Softmodding and chipping/TSOPing Xboxes are completely different methods of modding a Xbox which is why I advised you to make sure you know what you have is actually a softmod and not hardmodded ie. chipped or TSOPed. Until you are certain do not do anything.

That is the reason why I suggested downloading the latest version of XBMC but not installing it. Until you/we are certain how the main dash is set up to boot you could cause yourself some real hassle if you get it wrong.

Screenshots of the main file manager and also specifically the contents of C:\ and E:\ might be useful. XBMC has a built in screen grab facility - press the left stick button down and if you don't have a screenshot folder already allocated you'll be asked to create one.

But first things, first: you should do a backup the eeprom as a priority, that means externally. There is some way you can do that using XBMC but it is easiest to either install an EvoX dash as an app or use an AID or HeXEn disc both of which have eeprom backup options. In fact they're basically just re-skinned versions of the same EvoX dash 'Backup' tool.