Possible to Scan HDD to Recover Lost Files?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
jfreynik

Possible to Scan HDD to Recover Lost Files?

Post by jfreynik »

I am looking for a way to scan the "F" drive in my modded original Xbox to recover some deleted files. I have recovery software that runs well on my Windows 10 machine and I originally thought I could map a network drive to the Xbox similar to a NAS drive and then scan it, but this does not seem possible. It looks like some people are able to connect their Xbox HDD to their computer and use software like "FatXplorer" to explore the drive - however I am not sure if that would give me the ability to scan the drive for deleted files using the software on my Desktop.

Then there's the whole "locked" drive barrier too... so - I've seen the question a few times but have not seen any examples of how to accomplish the task - is there any software available that could allow connecting my Desktop to my Xbox HDD and scan for deleted files?

Thank You
GoTeamScotch

Re: Possible to Scan HDD to Recover Lost Files?

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Try TestDisk.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I've had great success using this on Windows formatted hard drives. I haven't personally tried with Xbox drives, but it does claim to support FATX file systems like the Xbox uses.

You'll need to unlock the drive and hook the hard drive up to a computer. I personally use an IDE/SATA to USB adapter on my laptop. This is the one I'm using: amazon link. You might be able to run TestDisk on your drive once it's connected, but locking it may be difficult depending on what equipment you're using. My adapter doesn't support locking so I have to use a hardmodded Xbox to re-lock drives. If you don't have one, you can also use an older PC that has IDE connections.

To unlock the Xbox's hard drive, you can use a variety of apps that do the job. I recommend ConfigMagic. Make sure you create a backup of your EEPROM and upload it to a computer before you do anything. If something goes wrong, this is your key to fixing things. Do not unlock your drive if your Xbox is softmodded and you don't have a means of re-locking it. If your Xbox is softmodded, it won't boot up unless the hard drive is locked with the right password.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with modding Xboxes so feel free to ask for clarification on any terms I've used.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!