Can XBMC4XBOX read off an external HD?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
ocmdiaz714

Can XBMC4XBOX read off an external HD?

Post by ocmdiaz714 »

And if so, is there an external HD with a network adapter that you guys use? So I don't have to turn on my PC every time I want to stream media. And would you guys recommend an external HD over internal? I'm looking at external drives at they seem cheaper, and I would use it alone for media.

This seems to be the best match so far:
Seagate Expansion 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STBV3000100
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion ... s_595048_3

Although I doubt I'd be able to fill up the 3 TB storage, it's nice to know I would have it available. :D
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Can XBMC4XBOX read off an external HD?

Post by BuZz »

yes, very slowly and larger drives will have issues. your options (imho)

a) put a bigger drive inside the box
b) use a script to turn the PC on when you need it should it suppower powering on via ethernet signal
c) put the pc somewhere where it can stay on without being annoying
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

I've got this:
http://dandar3.blogspot.ie/2012/08/seag ... e-nas.html

It goes to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity; the HDD part that is, the OS is still active, HDD wakes up when you browse the shares or use UPNP-AV (I haven't use XBMC4Xbox with it to be honest, I will confirm later, although I would expect to work fine). I also like that I can connect an older USB drive to the additional port, extending the storage.

I'm using the drive not only to keep media (very little though), but mostly software, pictures and PC partition backups and all that from computers around the house - very handy to have that much space around.
xbs

Post by xbs »

You can use a large USB HDD + Router with USB storage support (I'm using my ISP router with fantastic write speeds 8-10 Mb/s)...
or the cheap/eco friendly RaspberryPi ;)
Skins: SLik JX720 MS_Redux Mosaic
Utils: HeXEn
github.com/xbs08/
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

i have a simple set up on windows xp via smb shares on my xbox. i pluged in my hdd one day and clicked the sharing over network option located in the properties option on my computer.

All i had to do was then add the source and the job was done. i have a 500gb hdd packed with films and tv shows and have to say its still quite quick for me and can report no problems as of yet

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
2 Bunny

EXTERNAL Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

sixties keith wrote:i have a simple set up on windows xp via smb shares on my xbox. i pluged in my hdd one day and clicked the sharing over network option located in the properties option on my computer.

All i had to do was then add the source and the job was done. i have a 500gb hdd packed with films and tv shows and have to say its still quite quick for me and can report no problems as of yet
Just out of curiosity, what kind of speeds can you get that way, or is it more dependent on your network connection?

- 2B
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

The speeds for me arnt bad at all. Clicking on the movies folder hung for a few seconds 'with the working icon displayed' then presto. Not much if any difference to speed of reading off the native computer hdd via smb.

Furthermore now that i have organised the different films into folders for collections such as rambo and rocky etc its even quicker so i suggest that

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.