xbox v1.6 does not recognize any HDD

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
somacast

xbox v1.6 does not recognize any HDD

Post by somacast »

Hello,

I bought a used v1.6 xbox, modded with Aladdin xt plus, in either cases with or without the modchip it does not read any HDD !!

I installed the modchip as I thought it might help, however it did not, when you throw a game in it shows m$ logo , then goes to error page I think E16

in the slayer 2.7 DVD, it sees all partations as zeros,

tried another HDD which is working and locked with evox on it, also not recognized, it even does not boot to slayer CD at all with it,

any clues please?

thnx

note : the original HDD which came inside it was damaged it had a leaking component (chip) so I threw it,
XC-3730C

Re: xbox v1.6 does not recognize any HDD

Post by XC-3730C »

Have you tried the HeXEn disc? I got an Xbox that also has a 1.6 mobo, and had an X3 chip. The HDD was dead, so I dropped in a 500gb HDD, fired up HeXEn, and easily prepped it with XBMC dashboard.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

The question I'd ask is what BIOS is being used and whether the HDD has been properly formatted and a dash installed?

As XC-3730C suggests: cold boot a HeXEn disc (DVD-R burned with ImgBurn at default settings) and that should take care of the latter and allow you to do the former as well.
somacast

Post by somacast »

thnx for both of the replies, I did not try hexen i tried slayer 2.7 dvd, i flashed the chip through the slayer dvd with many different bios for 1.6, none of them changed the problem, no hdd is accepted at all by the console, nor can be formated, all partations are always zero!!
somacast

Post by somacast »

update: downloaded hexen from a forum, burned it on 8x to dvd, when i start it it shows linux logo, power lights becomes red, and just freezes on that screen?!

is it a bad copy or burned wrong?!
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

No it's supposed to do that, then eventually it goes to a screen where it asks you if you want to format the HDD.
somacast

Post by somacast »

there is something crazy in this xbox, i took the hdd, formated it and locked it in my working xbox, tried it working, here, if you dont put slayer 2.7 setup dvd, it gives error 13 with evox enabled and hdd formated with full build installed and tested on another console

even with this ready hdd, slayer 2.7 shows all partitions as zeros
what is going on?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

You can't take an HDD locked for one Xbox, then put it in another. There really is no point in locking an Xbox HDD, unless you are dealing with a softmodded system.

You don't need the Slayer disc. HeXEn does all you need.
somacast

Post by somacast »

well i did that before many times on different systems formating it and installing all evox package then using it on another console and that worked,

anywayz what matters now is getting hexen to work although i am quite sure that it will behave the same and i feel that some hardware issue is going on

another thing i measure resistivity of the 1F capacitor near ide cable socket and its high so i guess this 1F cap is the clock cap, could it be it? shall i remove it from mb?
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

You can lock a HDD on another Xbox with the eeprom from any other that's always been possible with ConfigMagic and Rocky5's updated Chimp 261812 makes doing that even easier.

But, in general, HDD's on chipped Xboxes usually are left unlocked, as XC-3730C explained its almost pointless and will save you a lot of hassle if, for instance, the Xbox dies and you don't have the eeprom backed up. Even then unlocking a locked Xbox HDD isn't always that simple.

HeXEn ISO burned to DVD-R with ImgBurn ("Write image file to disc" default options). Minimum burn speed for most DVD-R media, depending on the hardware, is typically x4. It is generally recommended to burn at the slowest supported speed but in my experience burn speed is only a factor with disc drives that are very old and have a weak laser or other wear and tear issues.

The HeXEn disc takes a long time to boot, usually about 30secs after the loading screen appears. The LED going red is normal.

BTW the latest version is the Hexen 2017 Update - easily found using Google. It includes Chimp 261812 although probably not the latest version.

If you still have problems because of disc drive trouble try finding HexIns. This is an installed version of HeXEn compiled by shambles1980 a few years ago. It can be FTPed to your Xbox.

Although it is covered in the readme it's worth mentioning that you have to install it on the root of the E:\ drive ie. not in Apps/Applications. It still takes some time to boot but is slightly faster than the disc version.

HeXins is less easily found but if you search for: "Hexen For hard disk Drive not dvd" you should be OK. :)
somacast

Post by somacast »

well explained thnx alot, ill give it a try
somacast

Post by somacast »

thaaaaaaaaank you guys!!

you were all right and i was wrong although it worked before

the magic word was unlocking the hdd

did it with hexen, and tried slayers 2.7

solved thnx alot