xbox sata mod 2tb crashes

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
peke

xbox sata mod 2tb crashes

Post by peke »

Hi everyone!

I did this mod:

viewtopic.php?t=649

I use xpartitioner 1.3

I got messy with this part:

Next you need to check the Cluster Size to make sure it’s set to 64k,........ but since by defaut Cluster Size is set to 64k in xpartitioner 1.3 didn´t double check it (it´s what the tutorial says).

Overall it works fine, but sometimes it crashes, happen to me in outrun 2 in one part but didn´t repeat next time I play it, sometimes happen when I left the intro for too long.

I use a 2tb wd green hdd

and this 3.5 HDD Parallel Pata IDE To Serial ATA Sata Hard Drive Adapter Converter

https://ibb.co/bOdY7k

don´t wont to spend a lot of time copying games to hdd if something is wrong, overall it works fine but....

Any help would be appreciated!
shloader

Re: xbox sata mod 2tb crashes

Post by shloader »

First thing I'd suggest is to scrutinize your SATA adapter. Look for shoddy soldering quality or heat damage on the main IDE-to-SATA bridge chip.

I wouldn't worry about an incorrect cluster size if you did indeed use the 1.3 version of XBpartitioner. I've never seen that version fail... not yet, anyway.

Just my totally unfounded opinion but I feel that hard drives with aggressive power saving features tend to be a bad choice for use in the Xbox, at least that's always been my experience with with IDE drives. That said I'd hate to suggest pointing a finger at the most expensive component of the mod early on. ... unless your Green drive is like some of the 2TB Western Digital Green drives I have sitting around and are approaching a total of seven years of constant run-time. :shock:

Could just be a general heat accumulation issue. I run the system fan on all my mods at %32 instead of the stock %20 speed. I've heard you can do this with nkpatcher, Rocky would know more. My way is more involved as I edit the bios. Check your temps upon exiting a game.

The few times I've had issues like you're describing it has been hard drive related.
I make a conscious effort to use terms that can be googled.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.
peke

Post by peke »

Thank U, I also think maybe it´s a Temp issue, so I put the fan to 55º and min. to 30º in xbmc settings, now I´m testing, It´s strange because it´s not to often that it crashes, maybe it´s hours with and FTP transfer and works OK, 1 hour playing and it´s OK, an then....suddenly crash, restart and get to the same spot in the game and works perfect....strange. Overall It works perfect.

I hope it´s not the Hdd (wd 2tb green), but if It continuous failing I maybe swap it.

thanks a lot!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Have you increased the head parking time on the drive?

WD green drive are crap as they like to park the read head every 3 minutes or so, so seek times and access times are atrocious.

Look here.
http://www.storagereview.com/how_to_sto ... th_wdidle3

I returned my drive as it was doing my tits in and got a blue instead.
( I thought green would be more energy efficient and last longer, let’s put it this way if I kept it I would have smashed the bugger :lol: )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
peke

Post by peke »

Change hdd to 2tb wd blue.....still freezes randomly =(
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

peke wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:24 pm Change hdd to 2tb wd blue.....still freezes randomly =(
Then it’s not the HDD, have you tried another 80 wire IDE cable?

Also how loud is the fan when the system crashes? the Xbox should start blinking orange when it’s overheating but you never know.

I always change the thermal compound on the CPU and GPU when I get a new Xbox.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
peke

Post by peke »

Now I put the fan on 30% and testing, wd blue seems more reliable than the green one, if it crashes again then I change the 80pin cable.

thanks!

ezequiel
peke

Post by peke »

still freezeng randomly, maybe I play for hours and nothing...and then....freeze