XBMC freezes at startup (splash screen)

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
B4DschK4Pp

XBMC freezes at startup (splash screen)

Post by B4DschK4Pp »

Hi there,

first of all i have to say that it is amazing that this project is still continued!!! Cheers to you! I didn't think of finding much good information on XBMC for Xbox classic on the internet when i ran into my problem... So now to that...

I send my Xbox to a modder back in 2006 and it came back softmodded with Krayzie_SC-PAL_Ndure_Installer_v1.1 Softmod.
It was configured to start XBMC (unfortunately i don't know which version anymore) when i press the power button and M$ Dash when i start the box by opening the DVD tray. And it worked like charm for years. Then last week i wanted to start up the box again and play some old stuff so i connected it to my new TV. But the XBMC Dash suddenly freezed! So i restarted the box but this time XBMC freezed at splash screen (or right after the splash as i tried it few more times). Everything else works as expected. M$ Dash has no problems at all and unleashX either. So i started a search and tried stuff i found for days now. Well here's what i did so far or where i am right now:
  • Deleted softmod and installed it again with the existing savegames still present on my HDD. Now unleashX v0.38 build 365 is my default dashboard for now and working.
  • Deleted old E:\apps\XBMC folder, downloaded XBMC 3.5.3 build (thanks to B4K3D PI) and FTP it over to E:\apps\XBMC.
  • Create an advancedsettings.xml in E:\apps\XBMC\UserData\ containing

Code: Select all

<advancedsettings>
        <setting>value</setting>
        	 <loglevel hide="false">3</loglevel>
        <setting>value</setting>
    </advancedsettings>
So then i started XBMC form unleashX application menu and the new SpashScreen appeares! Yeay!!!...i thought...but XBMC still freezes at splash screen or soon after. Sometimes i even get to the Kodi dash and see the menu but then have to shutdown the console, because it is just not responding to anything.

Here are some more infos i guess you need as they were always requested in other threads:
  • BIOS Version: 1.00.5960.01
  • Kernel Version: 1.00.5101.01
  • Softmodded Xbox with Krayzie_SC-PAL_Ndure_Installer_v1.1 Softmod
  • UnleashX v0.38 build 565
  • XBMC 3.5.3
  • 80GB HDD (want to upgrade to 500GB SATA, but thats another issue...)
And finally the logfiles from first clean start of XMBC and the second start after having to restart the box.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnvWxHyCzEOAge4KzO-QWVfKsw0B7g

It would be SOOOO great if someone could assist me on that, as i have no idea what to do next...

cheers
B4DschK4Pp
B4DschK4Pp

Re: XBMC freezes at startup (splash screen)

Post by B4DschK4Pp »

oh yeah, i also deleted the 0face008 folders in TDATA and UDATA as described here https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Insta ... C_for_XBOX.
As i deleted the whole XBMC folder of the old installation, i guess that the UserData folder is gone too by doing so, right? ;)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

The Q:\ drive you see in File Manager, the top of your logs and through the FTP is always a mapping to the currently running XBMC4Xbox, so you can use that to get to UserData as well as getting access to the logs.

13:07:02 M: 56758272  NOTICE: Starting XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3-r33027 (SVN:33027, compiler 1310). Built on Feb 27 2016
13:07:02 M: 56758272  NOTICE: special://xbmc/ is mapped to: Q:\
13:07:02 M: 56758272  NOTICE: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: Q:\UserData
13:07:02 M: 56758272  NOTICE: special://home/ is mapped to: Q:\
13:07:02 M: 56758272  NOTICE: special://temp/ is mapped to: Z:\
13:07:02 M: 56758272  NOTICE: The executable running is: E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe
13:07:02 M: 56758272  NOTICE: Log File is located: Q:\xbmc.log
UserData is inside the XBMC4Xbox folder, Q:\UserData for all installations (virtual drive) or E:\Apps\XBMC\UserData phisically in your case.
https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/UserData

There isn't much point in removing it if it was a fresh install - you removed it the last time when you removed the entire XBMC4Xbox from E:\Apps\XBMC.

Just to get it out of the way and because you know how to handle it, add this setting to your advancedsettings.xml and restart, see if it makes any difference.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3969&p=37966#p37966

<advancedsettings>
        <powersave>false</powersave>
    </advancedsettings>
B4DschK4Pp

Post by B4DschK4Pp »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Got it working with <powersave>false</powersave>

Unfortunately it doesn't explain why it didn't start in first place with the old version. If i read correctly powersave option came with 3.5.
Nevertheless XMBC works now on my xbox. But in the top left corner it shows me CPU at steady 100%. Is this normal?

Thanks again and keep up the good work! :)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

That is correct, it is a side effect - practically it disabled the HLT instruction that makes the CPU go idle and what it might do is increase the heat dissipation so keep an eye on that as well as good ventilation. Read the rest of the thread I posted earlier for more details: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3969
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I would guess that in the small number of cases where this doesn't work, there is a hardware problem/fault at play - but I don't know the cause.