XBOX HDD Upgrade

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
MikeH

XBOX HDD Upgrade

Post by MikeH »

I have recently been thinking about upgrading my XBOXs original hard drive. As of now I am a little confused on which HHD to buy for the upgrade. My XBOX has a modchip installed and is running perfectly. I would really like to save some games to the HHD. I did read a tut on the upgrade but I saw mixed comments about the final outcome after the upgrade. Any help or comments welcomed on the topic. Thanks
bigkidoz

Re: XBOX HDD Upgrade

Post by bigkidoz »

Since it is chipped, the easy process is just to download one of the installer discs like AID/ Slayers or Hexen and burn to a DVD.
Then remove and fit your new hdd either IDE or a Sata hdd with one of the known working sata - ide adapters (seagate prefered for sata hdd) and then boot from the disc and follow the selections to format the new hdd and install the dash files. You shouldnt have any problems with IDE hdd's but sata's tend to be a bit more troublesome but seagates seem to work best. do a search and you'll find plenty with sata hdd's up to 2tb working well.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Thanks for the advise..
maraxion

Post by maraxion »

So there is no way to just copy the old HDD to the new HDD?
You first need to install the new one into the xbox using a install cd, and then copy everyting over when its done?
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

maraxion wrote:So there is no way to just copy the old HDD to the new HDD?
You first need to install the new one into the xbox using a install cd, and then copy everyting over when its done?
There is but you are better off just starting with a fresh install, if you are softmodded then the clone method is probably the safest and easiest.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Would I have to worry about cluster sizes for a 1 TB Hard Drive? Would the AID disk take care of that when formatting the drive?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I don't think the AID disc automatically converts the partitions to the correct cluster size, I could be wrong but I'd use xbpartitioner just to play it safe. 500Gb-1Tb partitions should be 64k clusters.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Lee is correct, the initial setup can be done with any installer disc then use xbpartitioner to set the right cluster sizes.
xman

Post by xman »

A couple of words of advice, FTP XbPartitioner to your E drive, (not F or G because you will be altering them and XbPartitioner will start until it is re-clustered itself. :shock: ), and once your machine is set up and only needs the cluster sizes changed, boot the XbPartioner from XBMC or any other filemanager. Once it boots it will look something like this.....
Don't expect the "64" under the "N" in extended partitions nor the 927GB. That is a 2TB hard drive being done in the picture with another version of XbPartitioner but it will look nearly the same. Now partition 6 is your "F Drive" and partition 7 is your "G Drive". Pressing the "Back" button on the controller will have you in a screen telling you what the buttons do in this app which is worthy of reading but basically in partition 6 and 7 you can rotate around the default sizes of the two partitions till you find what sizes your after and then write and format them one at a time if you need to do both or just one.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Did the HHD upgrade and the AID disk never worked on my Xbox. I used Slayer install disk V2.7 . Every thing seems to be there but after I do option 3 (new install/full rebuilt) and I power off and power on with out the disk. I get error code 13. I reboot again with Slayers and check drive space and at first 0's but then I see C,E and F with their #'s. I think my xbox boots but doesn't find the dash. How can I fix the boot process with my slayers disk? Any and all help welcomed..
Thanks Again..
xman

Post by xman »

If your using Slayer's to build your HDD and selecting the large HDD option, it will be changing your boot path to F/ apps so your booting app is going to need to be there. You can use Slayers to change the app and the boot path. Just tell it stock HDD and it will go looking in E/ apps for the app. Just make sure you have your app in there and it will work. It will also ask what app to boot, ( XBMC etc), so make sure you have that or again, it won't boot.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Well I have been trying to get my 1TD hdd going but I keep on getting error code 13. I have used both Slayers and AID. My next option would be to send my xbox out and get it done by someone other than myself. Any comments and help welcomed.

Info: Xbox V1.6
Mod chip: Xenium Ice Solderless 2.0.1
Using Bios: X2 5035
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Given Hexen a shot and see how that goes, it's a much newer AID and put together well by Heimdall. Remember it takes a minute or so to boot the disc so be patient. And go ahead and do a full format of the HDD first so your starting over with a clean slate.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Will Hexen also format the drive?
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

Sorry to hi-jack but how do you change the cluster size? i dont know how to change it. I'm setting my 1tb drive to have 462.03GB on each F and G partition, but when i cycle through the standard settings (A Button) It shows 32kb clusters on each when i was told i should have 64kb clusters
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Use xbpartitioner, I think xman has done a tutorial on here somewhere. Hold on, I think 32k cluster size is ok for the size you have. Isn't it 250gb-500gb 32k and 500gb-1tb 64k?

You'd better check the details on that, my head is very fuzzy from all the Christmas booze!
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

Does it have to add up to 64kb total for both or does it have to be 64kb cluster for each?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

SquirlKiller wrote:Does it have to add up to 64kb total for both or does it have to be 64kb cluster for each?
:-), no it's not like that at all.
It's all about the number of uniquely addressable parts of the disc (max in the BIOS), and how big each part is (32k or 64k). If it's 64k there are half the number of addressable parts versus 32k clusters, or conversely you can have twice the amount of max available disc.
Bedtime reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cluster
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

Interesting, wonder how much space ive wasted on my PC lol. So how do I go about changing the cluster size in xbpartitioner? its 32kb for both F and G
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

SquirlKiller wrote:Interesting, wonder how much space ive wasted on my PC lol. So how do I go about changing the cluster size in xbpartitioner? its 32kb for both F and G
It automagically gets the cluster size right as you change the amount of space you allocate to each logical drive (E:, F: and G:).