SOLVED: Power supply replacement

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
bono1000

SOLVED: Power supply replacement

Post by bono1000 »

UPDATE: Issue solved after finding local tech who repaired original PSU, scroll down for post.

Hey everyone,

I am located in Newcastle NSW Australia & have what I believe to be a power supply issue.

Mine is an early generation crystal xbox. I had it chipped by an Aussie modder In 2005 resulting in a 200gb hdd & the necessary programs to install all my games. Having just acquired a component cable for it from amazon & plugging it all back in, after a few months I noticed that it would not power up any longer. From memory it had begun intermittent freezes & failing to power off/on occasionally. Given its age I did not think anything of it.

Now it's 100% unable to power up. I pulled it apart & discovered a power supply with serial DPSN-96BP-1, did a quick Google & found an Aussie supplier, which I then purchased a used supply from. Once it arrived I observed a different connection plug & a serial ending in 96AP.

I then managed to dig out another xbox I had & found the matching supply, swapped it over but still no luck - not surprising as I picked that unit up for its two s controllers, having the unit thrown in due to "the power supply being stuffed"

Does anyone have any advice on where I might locate a replacement supply or anyone they know here in Aus who is able to repair mine for me??

I am definitely not equipped to attempt the repairs myself & my friend who has helped me so far would not be able to do it.

I am definitely keen to lean on the brain trust here & look to further my skills in modding this unit myself in future! But due to work/family commitments I don't know that I would have time for about half a decade atleast!

This leaves me either to buy a replacement & see how that goes or happy to find someone to fix this issue for me!

Any help is most welcome & I hope to be returning to playing KOTOR & all the other loved games on this beast soon.

Cheers
Last edited by bono1000 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lion

Re: Power supply replacement

Post by Lion »

Which version of xbox do you have (1.0-1.6)?

You can buy replacements online - just search on ebay for:
xbox power supply -360 -one
But that's pretty expensive (~40AUD + ~50AUD shipping).
Or you can buy one from china on aliexpress (search for: xbox power supply 1.0-1.6c) for 20USD + 28USD shipping.

There's also an option for ATX - XBOX adapter that allows you to connect normal PC PSU to your Xbox but I wouldn't recommend this solution.
bono1000

Re: Power supply replacement

Post by bono1000 »

Thanks for the reply Lion, I managed to find a local guy who repaired my existing PSU for me & got it all working within an hour! Very happy & only cost me about the same for a used PSU from eBay ($35-40 AUSD). Happy to provide his details to any Aussies in the Newcastle/Hunter region, PM if interested.

Looking forward to getting back into the beast!