Best MP4 Video Settings

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
cheema201

Best MP4 Video Settings

Post by cheema201 »

Hey guys!

Just wanted to throw a quick question out there about the settings in main reference to mp4's

I've changed my default player to DVDplayer, as Mplayer doesn't seem to handle the mp4's at all.

What about these:

Full codec support -

Fast mode h264, etc etc -

h264 skip loop filter -

Render method?
Flicker Filter?

Basically I have an issue with playing mp4's where they randomly glitch, as in it feels like the fps drops to about 7fps. This can last for anywhere between 2 seconds, to around 30 seconds, before it fixes itself.

I'm using the confluence skin and am on 720p... I tried it through 480i, same story.

Should I be using certain settings? Or do these change depending on your tv? Or what?

Any info would be greatly appreciated... Thanks! :D
Adult Swimmer

Re: Best MP4 Video Settings

Post by Adult Swimmer »

I love confluence horizontal. It looks great and is cool to customize, but the trade off for all that is it uses to much of the system resources and thus doesn't have the ability to play mp4's and mkv's all that well. If you want better video play try the PM3.HD skin. It will give you better results for video playback......
Always root for the team of the guy who supplied the keg!!!!!
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

cheema201 wrote:Hey guys!

Just wanted to throw a quick question out there about the settings in main reference to mp4's

I've changed my default player to DVDplayer, as Mplayer doesn't seem to handle the mp4's at all.

What about these:
Full codec support -
Fast mode h264, etc etc -
h264 skip loop filter -

Render method?
Flicker Filter?

Basically I have an issue with playing mp4's where they randomly glitch, as in it feels like the fps drops to about 7fps. This can last for anywhere between 2 seconds, to around 30 seconds, before it fixes itself.

I'm using the confluence skin and am on 720p...
Lots of info there which needs explanation!

mp4 is a container format, as is mkv (file typically containing audio and video streams). Inside that container you most likely have H.264 video, but not definitely.

XB0X has trouble playing H.264 (AKA MPEG4-AVC) because it is very CPU intensive. This is why you get frame drops and reduced frame rate with anything above SD video resolution. It can _just_about_ manage 720p if it's very low bit rate - but the quality at those bit rates ain't that good. If you really want to play back 720p rips, then encode them with MPEG4-ASP (colloquially, divx/xvid).

To maximise the performance of H.264 playback, in settings -> video -> playback
DVDPlayer full Codec support (off)
DVDPlayer fast mode for MPEG2/MPEG4/H264<sic> (on)
H.264 Skip Loop Filter (skip everything)
Then, choose a less memory hungry skin. Try SLiK, or even PMIII. And switch off library mode.

This will also improve the performance of the box when playing 720p rips encoded in MPEG4-ASP video (as you typically find inside an avi container).
cheema201

Post by cheema201 »

Thanks for the info :D

I'm talking about the mp4, h264 scene releases from TVT...

spicemuseum wrote:If you really want to play back 720p rips, then encode them with MPEG4-ASP (colloquially, divx/xvid)
What's the easiest way to do this? I'd need to set it up to chomp through many many mp4's - if that's possible :)

I'll also try those settings you mentioned and using SLiK or PM3
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

cheema201 wrote:
spicemuseum wrote:If you really want to play back 720p rips, then encode them with MPEG4-ASP (colloquially, divx/xvid)
What's the easiest way to do this? I'd need to set it up to chomp through many many mp4's - if that's possible :)
Krikey, on the old forum there were so many threads about which tools do this "best". Here we go again...! :-)