DVDplayer not playing audio on some .mkvs

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
ogxbox

DVDplayer not playing audio on some .mkvs

Post by ogxbox »

Hi all. Like the title says DVDplayer is not playing audio on some mkv files. These are dual audio mkvs and for some reason the audio sometimes works if I switch to Japanese. Sometimes it would freeze when I try to change the audio tracks back and forth, then I have to power off the xbox. I do get video, just no english audio.
Everything was playing fine and suddenly a few days ago the sound stopped. I copied the mkvs back to my pc and they are playing normally. Also, Mplayer appears to be able to play them normally, but I don't like using mplayer because it stutters while playing mkvs.

I noticed a slight crackle/pop before the video plays. When i pressed B button to go back out I noticed that the bubble noises are slightly lower in volume than before. This does not happen with .avi files, which are playing normally.

My settings are pretty much set to defaults, other than changing to confluence skin. I've tried suggestions on this thread, but nothing worked. http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... audio#p451. My biggest concern is data corruption, but I don't think it's that because none of my files have disappeared and I formatted with 32k this time.

I am using xbmc4xbox 3.2. Here is my xbmc.log file http://pastebin.com/Y7mCA1a0 and here is xbmc.old.log http://pastebin.com/9FjY3imy

Thanks for your help.
sixties keith

Re: DVDplayer not playing audio on some .mkvs

Post by sixties keith »

Personally i dont like playing mkv files as i too have either problems with audio or with video playback. Do you have alot of files in mkv format?

Ive used converter in the past to convert the files to avi which is defo worth a go. Another thing to try is to simply re download the files in avi format. Also of people still post the tv shows and films in both mkv / h264 and xvid / avi. Try the xvids and see the result i havent looked for anything and couldnt find it in xvid yet.

Also what set up are you using? standard component cables or you running hi def?

Im sure someone else on the forum will be of more help but in the meantime if it suits have a go and see if you can get what your looking for. Im just about to watch the new big bang theory and red drawf episodes on the xbox :P

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

It's worth pointing out mkv is just a container. You can put virtually any video / audio codec combination in an mkv.

avi is also a container, but much less flexible, and ffmpeg actually supports mkv better than avi.
ogxbox

Post by ogxbox »

@ sixties keith. I'm just using the regular cables that came with the xbox and on a regular fat pre-lcd 4:3 tv. I don't really have a lot of mkvs or higher resolution videos because it stutters on the xbox. I try to add only dvd files or avis.

Also as a side note, I noticed when I play any type of video file with DVDplayer that it "tags" underneath the preview screenshot with "SD xvid aac 5.1" or some variation of this. Is this normal behavior for DVDplayer? Mplayer does not do this.

Nothing after playing with Mplayer:

After playing file with DVDplayer:

Well I will try to install 3.2 again, see if that works. Will my library still be available if I copy over a new xbmc 3.2 or do I have to redownload all the library stuff? Thanks.
xbs

Post by xbs »

The media flags are extracted with DVDPlayer not with MPlayer so it's normal.
Skins: SLik JX720 MS_Redux Mosaic
Utils: HeXEn
github.com/xbs08/