[XBMC 3.5.3] Problems with SMB mass transfer

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
KrisKenesei

[XBMC 3.5.3] Problems with SMB mass transfer

Post by KrisKenesei »

Hi,

I have recently hooked up a few new Xboxes with my Synology NAS. All of the Xboxes can see the NAS, can download files from it, but some do faster and better then the others. In particular, an Xbox with a very old version of XBMC can show total task progress and individual progress at the same times and also transfer quite a lot faster. On the other hand, those with XBMC 3.5.3 or 3.5 only show individual file progress bars and close the transfer in progress prompt between each file, and display a small "Working" sign in the bottom left corner. There is quite a lot of time that they just spend "working" and not actually transferring anything, and thus the full transfer takes a lot more time. Is there a way to solve this problem?
Using FTP from a computer also doesn't work. The same goes for this, with the old version of XBMC, FTP work perfectly, but with 3.5 or 3.5.3 it keeps disconnecting and therefore it also takes a very long time for transfers to finish (I'm using FileZilla for FTP.).

Does anyone know about a solution for this strange behaviour?

Cheers.
xman

Re: [XBMC 3.5.3] Problems with SMB mass transfer

Post by xman »

I'd simply put in a version of XBMC that is FTPing quickly, use it for FTPing and once done go back to 3.5.3 for every other task. You are correct, some XBMC versions are fast while others are slow.
KrisKenesei

Post by KrisKenesei »

Thanks for the reply!

As a matter of fact, I managed to figure out that XBMC4XBOX doesn't allow for simultaneous transfers and FileZilla tries to transfer two at a time by default, hitting the "too many connections" error continually. Limiting it to one transfer at a time in FileZilla transfer settings managed to solve the issue.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

You're not saying what protocol you're using to transfer the files from Synology down to Xbox - if SMB, you can try FTP or WebDAV if Synology NAS supports it, they might be faster. (you configure that in the source definition, you can have multiple sources pointing to the same phisical location through various protocols, if you want to do some performance tests)

As to embeded XBMC4Xbox FTP server, while it might not support multiple connections you can try increasing the "Maximum user count" setting, the blog post below should take you closer to it. http://dandar3.blogspot.com/2010/03/xbm ... t-ftp.html