Can't get Wake-on-Lan to work in my own LAN?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
RedDawn2587

Can't get Wake-on-Lan to work in my own LAN?

Post by RedDawn2587 »

Hi. So I am running into a few problems here with XBMC's WOL functionality.

My intentions are to be able to remotely boot my PC via XBMC (on a 1.6 box, presumably left running most of the time) since I can't get WOL working conventionally through my router (ARP timeout and lack of router configuration options, the usual WOL stuff). So if I was away from home and wanted to boot my PC, I would webserver or remote into XBMC (which is sort of working right now) and run the WOL script. This would boot my PC, then I could RD client into it or access my FTP server, whatever. But, whenever I try to wake my PC from the box, the WOL script gives me an error and my PC doesn't boot. It's saying that there is an "error on host-up check". I've tried disabling the host-up check and tweaking the timeouts, but to no avail. Strangely, when I set the "Continuously send packets" option, it says "Script failed" after the first packet.

So, since my PC and XBOX are wired together in the same LAN, I don't need to do any kind of port-forwarding, right? They should be able to talk to each other without even touching the router. I am able to FTP into the XBOX with the PC and FTP into the PC with the XBOX. I'm tearing my hair out over this. Wired WOL is supposed to be the easiest type to get working, and I seem to be failing at it miserably. My phone is able to wake my PC when I'm on the wifi, and I can even wake it from outside the router with said phone when I'm away (But only for the first few minutes after shutdown, then the ARP tables in the router time out, hence this entire fiasco).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm almost ready to send this XBOX out the window.
fxmech

Re: Can't get Wake-on-Lan to work in my own LAN?

Post by fxmech »

It sounds like your router is the thing you should throw out the window.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

I would check the settings on the network card (Advanced) see that "Wake on Magic Packet" is enabled ("Wake on Pattern Match" as well if you want).
Also check "Power Management" tab, enable "Allow this device to wake computer" and also try "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer".

Set the computer in standby, check the network card lights, then try the script.
If it wakes it up from standby, next step is to try from power off (shutdown) - check the network card lights, try the script.

If still not working power back on and try disabling all "offload" (TOE) settings, then try again.

Give us a look at the plugin source, upload to services like pastebin.com or similar. Maybe give us more details about the router model and software it is running.

As far as I know WOL packets are broadcasted, it's the network card receiving the packet, not the OS, so there is no firewall to play with.
RedDawn2587

Post by RedDawn2587 »

fxmech wrote:It sounds like your router is the thing you should throw out the window.
Right? I really should just look for a friggin router.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

What type are you using currently? The one built into the modem or a dedicated router?
RedDawn2587

Post by RedDawn2587 »

Dan Dar3 wrote:I would check the settings on the network card (Advanced) see that "Wake on Magic Packet" is enabled ("Wake on Pattern Match" as well if you want).
Also check "Power Management" tab, enable "Allow this device to wake computer" and also try "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer".

Set the computer in standby, check the network card lights, then try the script.
If it wakes it up from standby, next step is to try from power off (shutdown) - check the network card lights, try the script.

If still not working power back on and try disabling all "offload" (TOE) settings, then try again.

Give us a look at the plugin source, upload to services like pastebin.com or similar. Maybe give us more details about the router model and software it is running.

As far as I know WOL packets are broadcasted, it's the network card receiving the packet, not the OS, so there is no firewall to play with.
Here is default.py for this script, I can post other parts of it too. (figured this was the important one, I don't know much about Python or coding n stuff)
http://pastebin.ca/3571702
My router is a Netgear C3000, router/modem combo unit. I have tried telnetting into it to no avail, looking for a static arp setting of some kind. Foiled every time. As fart as port forwarding goes, is there one I may need to forward from the Xbox to the PC? can I even forward a port inside my own network? I believe WOL uses UDP ports 7 and 9, so maybe I should forward those from Xbox to PC? (assuming the script is using them, I don't know what it's using, the script has no port setting that I could find).
RedDawn2587

Post by RedDawn2587 »

fxmech wrote:What type are you using currently? The one built into the modem or a dedicated router?
Combo unit. Built into modem. Is it possible to use a separate router and somehow disable the "router" function of the combo unit?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

It is likely your combo unit is firewalling each of the clients from one another. I think it is done this way by default to prevent wireless clients from snooping on the network. Most standalone routers don't do it this way.

You have set static IPs, etc? I have terrible luck getting anything fancy working on the modems.

If you get another router, put it in the DMZ of your current unit, and wire the rest of the network behind your new unit.
RedDawn2587

Post by RedDawn2587 »

fxmech wrote:It is likely your combo unit is firewalling each of the clients from one another. I think it is done this way by default to prevent wireless clients from snooping on the network. Most standalone routers don't do it this way.

You have set static IPs, etc? I have terrible luck getting anything fancy working on the modems.

If you get another router, put it in the DMZ of your current unit, and wire the rest of the network behind your new unit.
I may end up doing that... I have addresses reserved for all devices on the network, and I can wake my pc from my phone while on the wifi, so I'm kinda thinkin its an xbox problem. any way ill go router shopping today n try to find one with static arp binding. thnks for the help.