Can I connect an external USB drive to the xbox?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Ash123

Can I connect an external USB drive to the xbox?

Post by Ash123 »

Maybe a dumb question but is it possible to use an external USB hard drive with XBMC4XBOX?

Basically I have a 3TB USB drive with all my video files on it. If I connect it to the xbox via a joypad to usb lead will the files show up in XBMC?

The reason I ask is that i'm tired of FTPing files over to the XBOX all the time, it takes too long.
sixties keith

Re: Can I connect an external USB drive to the xbox?

Post by sixties keith »

Nope mate sorry only up to a 4gb usb stick will work due to the fatx limitation. However if you have alot of files why not share it to the xbox via shared folder (windows smb) from your computer. you can also share the hdd over the network, something i do with my own 1tb external hdd :D Hope this helps

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
zxcvbnm

Post by zxcvbnm »

^ sixties keith is correct. And also the 4GB limitation isn't the biggest issue here but rather that the Xbox only reads FATX, a whole different file system, compared to FAT32 which USB flash drives usually would be.
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

OK Thanks for the info. Thought it might not be possible. I'll look into the shared folder option via windows. Thanks.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

zxcvbnm wrote:^ sixties keith is correct. And also the 4GB limitation isn't the biggest issue here but rather that the Xbox only reads FATX, a whole different file system, compared to FAT32 which USB flash drives usually would be.
XBMC can read FAT32 and FATX formatted drives. It can only write to FATX.
Kinstinct2

Post by Kinstinct2 »

What Fxmech said is QFT, also leaving in usb/flash/hdd connected devices during boot caused the format of device to fatx iirc. Also usb 1 speeds is useless for high bitrate video, so unless pictures/music/saves stick to internal hdd and/or stream