Folder Art Ideal JPG Size

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Coldly-Indifferent

Folder Art Ideal JPG Size

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I want to add folder art to XBMC4Xbox.

Using the UnleashX dash with it running as an app I've simply added a default.tbn to things like apps usually simply renaming a copy of the icon.png/jpg I use for UnleashX. The problem with UnleashX is that there is some sort of unwritten maximum total file size for such icons which, if you exceed it, means beyond a certain (cache?) limit some of the icons will stop displaying in the main menus. BTW Avalaunch is even worse.

To get around this I've just finished resizing all the 150+ icons I'm currently using for apps, emus, homebrew games etc to 256x256. Employing various techniques I've further reduced their file sizes so that they're all under 50KB, usually much smaller. This has worked great and speeded up the menu loading very noticeably.

When converting these smaller file size icons to default.tbn and used with my normal XBMC4Xbox skin: Xbox-Classic with either "Icon" or "Big Icon" View options they're fine too.

However I'm in the process of setting up a Xbox with a XBMC4Xbox main dash and using a different skin: probably Back-Row if NOTHESAME can sort out its problems. What I'm concerned about is that if I start adding lots of extra art for film, music, TV folders I'm going to run into a similar problem I had with UnleashX.

I'm not happy with Back-Row's default view option display of some of my reduced size 256x256 icons at 480p as it is. They're just not high resolution enough to maintain good PQ when displayed any bigger than the "Big Icons" view I've been using with the Xbox-Classic skin. Eventually I expect to be using XBMC4Xbox at 720p so if they're not OK now they're going to look even worse on a bigger HD screen.

So what is the ideal folder art/icon image file size/resolution to use with out it causing problems if you have hundreds of such thumbnails? I can't find any definitive information on this at all.