How can I do a disk check?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
bornagainpenguin

How can I do a disk check?

Post by bornagainpenguin »

I've been having (formerly working) videos refuse to play for me and I would like to do a scan of the hard disk to ensure everything is fine or repair the file system, hopefully fixing the issues. What is the recommended method of doing this? I am soft moded with a 500GB hard disk.
fxmech

Re: How can I do a disk check?

Post by fxmech »

Try turning debugging on and post a log.

There isn't a way to repair the FatX filesystem, aside from reformatting the desired partition. You can do that with a Softmod.

You can check the disk for bad sectors using a PC, but this requires you unlock your HDD first. You have a softmod, so take care and know what you're doing before attempting that.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

on the pc there is a program called testdisk that can be used to pull files off a disk that may be other wised damaged, it works with the fatx file system.

you could also run xblast os and check the smart status, but on a pc you might get a bit more information such as relocated sector count etc....
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

professor_jonny wrote:on the pc there is a program called testdisk that can be used to pull files off a disk that may be other wised damaged, it works with the fatx file system.

you could also run xblast os and check the smart status, but on a pc you might get a bit more information such as relocated sector count etc....
Yeah I think the PC will have better smart status reporting than available on the Xbox. But I'm personally interested in what XBlast will show. Thanks for that suggestion, I am going to try that just for kicks
bornagainpenguin

Post by bornagainpenguin »

Thank you for the replies, I will post a log and see about trying to boot xblast os if I can find it and do the scan. Work has been absolutely insane lately and I rarely have more than a few minutes here and there to do much of anything. Will have to get back to this when I can.

If nothing else the debug log might help point in the right direction, but since we're talking about old hardware I may just decide to move on. :(