XBMC Navigation Sound Files

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Coldly-Indifferent

XBMC Navigation Sound Files

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I've been installing various versions of XBMC4Xbox recently and one thing I've noticed is that the most recent releases only provide one set of navigation sound files apart from the default: Bursting Bubbles.

The older version of XBMC I have, from 2008, installed via an AID v4.4 disc, included around 24 alternatives. About half a dozen have never worked despite reinstalls from other AID version discs. My preference has always been, for consistency, to use the XB360 sounds.

Why aren't more provided now and is there a navigation sound archive available anywhere because, at the very least, I'd like to replace those non-working ones?
fxmech

Re: XBMC Navigation Sound Files

Post by fxmech »

I had a package of them around, I'm sure that I can find my collection of old sounds.

One thing you can try is grabbing all the sounds from within each skin and making packs of each skin's default. That way they can be used for every skin.

No time to search around now but I'm sure I found a pack on theisozone
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: XBMC Navigation Sound Files

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Thanks I've found and been pointed at several sources for the full(?) set of navigation sounds but I have found that they all have the same problem: six non-working ones.

That got me thinking so I started looking into the matter. The six are: Bloop, Flutschi, Money, Online, Shooty and Wipe. They don't work with any XBMC version dating back even to as long ago as the v9.04 from 2008, the earliest version I still have. But this can can be fixed very easily.

The problem appears to be the syntax used for these particular navigation sound.xml files. Whether there was a XML revision and XBMC versions after that didn't support the earlier version, perhaps somebody here knows.

In the non-working ones command lines use terms like:-

<action>
<description>Move Right</description>

in the working sound.xml the same line is now written:-

<action>
<name>right</name>

The solution is simple because all the problem sounds use only one nav.wav file. "Bursting Bubbles" does too but it's sound.xml must have been written later because it does work, using the same syntax all the other working navigation sounds. Therefore all you have to do is delete the 0.9KB sound.xml file from the offending six non working navigation sounds folders and copy in the 2.3KB sound.xml from "Bursting Bubbles".

Restart XBMC and you'll find all those sounds will now work as they should.