Can't move folders from one partition to another

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
XC-3730C

Can't move folders from one partition to another

Post by XC-3730C »

I use FlashFXP to transfer from my PC to my XBOX. My dash is XBMC4XBOX. Every time I try to move folders from partition F to G (or vice versa), FlashFXP tells me there was a move failiure.

Any way to fix this? I wanna move a bunch of folders on partition F to G without having to re-transfer from my PC.
spinnersp

Re: Can't move folders from one partition to another

Post by spinnersp »

you can do this from within Xbmc,using file manager
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I tried it but it is super slow
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

If you are into Python, you could try using shutil.copytree(), although I don't how fast it would be compared to the other methods.
https://docs.python.org/2/library/shutil.html

Since you're moving from one partition to the other it's a copy to destination, then on success remove source. Since the HDD will be busy with both reading and writing, it will probably half as slow.

I don't think you can move files through FTP, and probably that's what FlashXP is trying to tell you.

If I was to do it, I would download the entire thing to the PC, upload on G: and remove from F: - that way you would get full speeds in reading and then writing, but in the end it might take about the same time, depending on the HDD performance versus network performance.
spinnersp

Post by spinnersp »

Dan Dar3 wrote:If you are into Python, you could try using shutil.copytree(), although I don't how fast it would be compared to the other methods.
https://docs.python.org/2/library/shutil.html

Since you're moving from one partition to the other it's a copy to destination, then on success remove source. Since the HDD will be busy with both reading and writing, it will probably half as slow.

I don't think you can move files through FTP, and probably that's what FlashXP is trying to tell you.

If I was to do it, I would download the entire thing to the PC, upload on G: and remove from F: - that way you would get full speeds in reading and then writing, but in the end it might take about the same time, depending on the HDD performance versus network performance.
Yes can be painfully slow Just set it up to at bedtime,leave it overnight.
Yes you can move files from within FlashXP.cant remember if you can c/p or just copy.If you have the room its always best to copy,confirm,then delete.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I got it figured out. Thanks guys