Help to install XBMC4XBOX-3.5 on old xbox

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
macbain

Help to install XBMC4XBOX-3.5 on old xbox

Post by macbain »

I havn't done anything to my old xbox since 2005 so I thought I'd show it some love and install the latest xbmc.
Problem is that I don't rember much on how to do this, so if anyone have any tips or quick pointers I'd really appreciate it.
I tried coping the new xbmc folder into the f:\app\ folder and start the .xbe file, but that only gives me the XBMC Fatal Error: special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml.
I have lots of stuff I don't want to loose on the hd, so is there an easy way of installing the new xbmc, like renaming and moving the new default.xbe file to c:\ etc?
The way it's configured now it boots directly into an 2005 release of xbmc.

Any help would be much appreciated :).
spinnersp

Re: Help to install XBMC4XBOX-3.5 on old xbox

Post by spinnersp »

try holding down both thumbstick buttons on bootup.This will reset all of XBMC's settings to their defaults.http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Error_Recovery_Mode
macbain

Post by macbain »

But how do I go about installing the new xbmc?, should I just go ahead and replace the old xbmc folder with the new one and rename default.xbe to evoxdash.xbe(or other?) and place it at the root of c:\ ?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Where is your main dashboard stored & are you Softmodded or hardmodded?
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
macbain

Post by macbain »

Have a modchip, and the dash is installed at f:\apps\xbmc\
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

This is how i do it.....

1. Copy the new version of xbmc on the xbox along side the old one in a different folder called "xbmcnew" for example :
f:\apps\xbmcnew\

2. Run your file manager and boot up the new version.

3. Goto to the file manager in the new version and rename the old version of xbmc to "xbmcold" for example:
f:\apps\xbmcold\

4. Then load up the old version again that is now located in f:\apps\xbmcold\
goto to the file manager rename the f:\apps\xbmcnew to f:\apps\xbmc

5. Reboot and all should be good, Have a beer job well done.
macbain

Post by macbain »

I have configured it so xbmc boots automatically, don't remember have to set it back so it boots to evox or what its was called.
I have tried copying the new xbmc to f:\apps\xbmc2\, but when i try to lauch the default.xbe it gives me the XBMC Fatal Error: special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml.
Also seem to rember I had to move and rename the default.xbe to c:\evoxdash.xbe, is this correct?

Could I make a straight clone of the hd as a backup or is there something with locking or unlocking the disk I need to do?
(just in case I mess something up)
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

the recommended way is to use XBMC shortcut xbe, and use that file to point to your /XBMC/default.xbe

as for the problem at hand in updating xbmc.

use UnleashX, Avalaunch or EvoX. just run any of them and connect to the ftp. Xbmc4xbox is no longer running once you are in another program, making it safe to transfer and then run a fresh install. once your fresh install is confirmed to work, go back to your "third party" app and rename your old XBMC directory to a different name. finally, rename the new install directory to replace the original, old folder.

if done correctly you will boot an up-to-date XBMC.
macbain

Post by macbain »

All this knowledge has been forgotten, I can't remember a thing :(.
Tried booting from an evox disk, but of course that ip is wrong and I can't change it because it's nor running of the hd.
My nephew is playing some old games all the time so I can't afford to mess this up :).
After booting from the disk I tried starting the new xbmc, but it gave me the same error.
I have both the evoxdash.xbe and the xboxdash.xbe, seem to rember I used the shortcut creator.
But have do I boot into evox without the disk?, since I can't change the ip when using the disk I'm scared of not being able to ftp back onto the box.
I also downloaded the Junk XBMC installer, don't know if that's a good idea to try?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I turn off the modchip using the switch at the back does it boot the xboxdash.xbe?

Ps. tried booting the junk installer and there is and option to install xbmc to f drive, would that do the trick?
Ps2. Do I need a certain msdashboard in order to install the latest xbmc? (everything on the xbox is from 2005, and I havn't kept an eye on the mod scene since then)
macbain

Post by macbain »

Got it working now, but how do I add repos?, all the guides on the net assume you're using xbmc for pc or mac :(.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Repository files are added the same as a plugins would be via zip file. Addons4Xbox Installer program plugin is the addon management tool for the time being.

After you install the repo by zip (zips you can probably find searching Google) you can select the third party repo from the Addons4Xbox Installer.

In case you don't know already, Addons4Xbox Installer us included in the latest builds.
macbain

Post by macbain »

Got that working, but now when i try to start watching something it seems to run out of space, get a red bar on top which goes from 4mb down to 0mb then freezes.
Strange got lots of space, except for the c:\ drive, but it doesn't cache anything there?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

you are running out of free memory - RAM. has nothing to do with the storage space.

disable features, use more lightweight skins, and turn on debugging so you can actively monitor available ram. it takes a little tweaking and patience. i don't have time to write up the how-to-save-ram tutorial, but there are certainly discussions on the subject here already if you search around.

a major impact is your display resolution (try 480p?) and your skin (try rapier-clarity-mod by byron).