Help with FTPing to xbox

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
sealeysonic

Help with FTPing to xbox

Post by sealeysonic »

Hi all.....I struggle to ftp to my xbox....it takes me ages to connect if at all....im useing this guide here..

http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/tut ... ox.375413/

Now i do have the cross over cable.

And the xbox is set to static and IP address 192.168.0.3 DNS server 192.168.0.4

All other options in the Auto-detection and Services are un checked.

On my laptop(running xp)

Fire wall off
Antivirus off

And the network connection set as in the above guide......the laptop says the network is connected....and so does the xbox(full duplex)

FlashFXP(quick connect)

Url 168.193.0.3
user name XBOX
password XBOX

(xbmc4xbox 3.5)

now all i get is "connection" refused.

All i want to do is to be able to ftp music over from the laptop and games etc i have managed to do it in the past after messing around for hours,

Thanks all
xman

Re: Help with FTPing to xbox

Post by xman »

I use a switch in my setup but mine is in the house network. I use FileZella on my Win7 but have used it in XP. I set up all static IP addresses on all the Xboxes, different last number on each of coarse, with the gateway set as the same number, ie, 192.168.0.0. I don't use a cross over cable, just patch cables but I do use a switch remember. I think my DNS is the same number on all devices though, the same number I use for the gateway. I have found sometimes I need to reboot the Xbox or FileZella itself on the PC. It is usually indicated by a "Failure to connect" warning but this is usually as a result of changing the IP while an Xbox has already tried to connect.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@sealeysonic
You set the IP address on Xbox to 192.168.0.3 and then you try to connect from the PC to 168.193.0.3, is that a typo or just plain wrong?

Try ping-ing it first, as in run Command Prompt (cmd.exe) and issue a "ping ipaddress" and that'll tell you whether it can "see" it (not all machines / Internet sites respond to ping for security reasons, but your Xbox will though).

Your PC is showing "network connected" when it gets a signal on the wires - look at the lights of the network card on either end, if one light is steady green and the amber / red one blinking every now and then (not rapidly) i'd say you're cable is probably fine. Is this a validate cross-over cable though, have you used it before to transfer data between the same or other machines?

Last but not least, check that the FTP server is actually enabled on the Xbox side, and it runs on the port you expect to (default is 21):
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Settings/Network

and check the IP information in System Information - press Info on DVD Remote, or go to Shutdown > System Information menu.

@Xman
From my experience most people that do not have a network hub / switch already fall into of the categories: do not know of, cannot afford or simply do not want to buy one. So usually remains we work with the material at hand.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Are you sure you have a crossover cable?

How I used to do mine about 10 years ago.

PC Static IP settings.

IP = 192.168.1.2
Sub mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.1.1

Xbox Static IP settings.

IP = 192.168.1.3
Sub mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.1.1
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

Thanks for the reply`s Gentlemen......I managed to FTP to my xbox but only after switching my WIFI adapter off....and using my backup XBMC 3.5 on EL drive......took some snap shots

sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

the only thing i can see that is different from my primary xbmc and my backup xbmc is in the "FTP user name" is "none" and on the "backup" xbmc the "FTP user name" is "xbox"
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

I don't know how would have that affected things, not withou a debug log (http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=65) which you can't get without a network connection :-), if it was a user/pass issue would not tell you connection refused, would tell you an authentication error occured.

If you want to reset that part you can try renaming or removing Q:\system\FileZilla Server.xml, I believe that gets recreated on next start, and then restart XBMC4Xbox - see if it gives you back the defaults for the FTP server settings.
spinnersp

Post by spinnersp »

I think you could "bridge" ypur connections,then your laptop would act like a router.You could then set xbox to dhcp.It should then be able to ftp to,and also have internet,assuming your laptop is hooked to wifi.Just go to network connections,highlight both,local area conn and wireless conn,right click,select bridge connections.(Id probably set my pc back to dhcp first.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

spinnersp has a very good suggestion to bridge connections (if doesn't work you can delete it to get back to current situation):
https://www.microsoft.com/resources/doc ... x?mfr=true

Alternatively, Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) was the traditional solution for these kind of situations:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

interesting......well at the moment the problem is fixed.....ftp.....and even with the file manager i can move/copy filed both ways....even craxton sees the networked box.