a reAwakening

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
loominus

a reAwakening

Post by loominus »

hello. new to the forums, but not new to the XBMC world.
been on the scene since its roots.
i reMember watching g4 in aMazement at what taLented individuals did w/ that deVice.

when i was heavy on the scene i had an original xBox, softModded it, and inStalled all i wanted on it at that time.
and it actually got me into python coding, b/c i knew nothing about it at that time.
i've since hungUp python, but will pick it back up if XBMC still uses python scripts.

anyWays...
i'm jumping back on the scene.
i've seen the recent upDates to XBMC and wowed, so i'd like to upDate my verSion of XBMC on my alReady softModded original xBox.

its been years since i've done any work on the original xBox so a lot of knowLedge i had from back then is lost and i need a refresher.

a brief deScription of what i know of my xBox (at work now, so dont have the conSole w/ me).
- running eVox when powered on w/o opening the DVD case.
- running what looks to be aValanche when poWering on w/ DVD case opening (ill check for specifics when i get home).
- running XBMC, but unSure which version.
- out of box HDD.
- unsure on DVD version.

what i'm looking to do is place the neWest verSion of XBMC i can on the original xBox.
i'd also like to throw a few of those (what looks like) apps to be used in XBMC as well.

some more info just in case its needed...
i have a new PC running winDows 8. a lot of the info alReady brushed up on in the forums shows use of earlier verSions of winDows
when i was doing work on the xBox originally in the early 2000s, i was running windows XP.
spicemuseum

Re: a reAwakening

Post by spicemuseum »

loominus wrote:what i'm looking to do is place the neWest verSion of XBMC i can on the original xBox.
Have a look through here first:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@loominus
Search the forums for "unofficial builds: 3.5 + nightly".

Read / Watch this thread:

[Video Guide] Update XBMC4Xbox Via FTP
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=14&t=146
loominus

Post by loominus »

ok...
1st i wanna thank you guys for the helpful info.
that video was fantastic and now i have the newest XBMC.

i have a few questions/statements...
1. i cant see the corners of the screen. ive been trying to change the settings but to no avail.
2. i'm trying to network my video library from my PC to XBMC. when i go to add source i see the drives from my PC i'd like to add as source, XBMC is asking for a username and password. i didnt have to do this on my windows XP comp. i'm running windows 8 now.

how can i alleviate these issues?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Settings > Appearance > Display > Screen Calibration.

As for the home network, just enter you windows username & password, I couldn't get around it. (No information is sent anywhere, though the info is stored in plain txt on the Xbox hdd in the sources.xml)
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

To get around smb password being required, make your share available to "Everybody" as read only. You may have to delete the old source and paths in XBMC for the server before it will stop prompting.

Basically you should set up the shared folder from scratch. Don't add a network location but rather browse directly to the share from the add source dialog.

Something about adding a network location and add a source creates different results from my experience... But I never bothered to figure out the reason after getting it working by setting up my shared folder in Windows properly.

----

Also, does your user account have a password set on your PC?
spinnersp

Post by spinnersp »

fxmech wrote:To get around smb password being required, make your share available to "Everybody" as read only. You may have to delete the old source and paths in XBMC for the server before it will stop prompting.

Basically you should set up the shared folder from scratch. Don't add a network location but rather browse directly to the share from the add source dialog.

Something about adding a network location and add a source creates different results from my experience... But I never bothered to figure out the reason after getting it working by setting up my shared folder in Windows properly.

----

Also, does your user account have a password set on your PC?
This should do it,shouldnt matter about password on PC,doesn't on win7 or Vista
loominus

Post by loominus »

ok...
again thanks for the assistance.
i've followed you all steps and have the folders i want shared setup for everybody to share.

now in XBMC when i go to videos this is the path
videos > files > add source > browse > windows network SMB > ..

it doesnt show anything.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Set your WINS server address to your router or directly to the fileserver's IP. It's a shot in the dark.

Did you delete the Userdata folder's xml configuration for the sources?
loominus

Post by loominus »

fxmech wrote:Set your WINS server address to your router or directly to the fileserver's IP. It's a shot in the dark.

Did you delete the Userdata folder's xml configuration for the sources?
my apologies...
I dont know what a WINS server address is or how to set it to my router. Nor would i know how to set it to the fileServer's IP b/c i dont know what a fileServer IP is.

that 2nd question is comPletely foreign to me as well.
can you exPound on those suggestions, i'd love to try them.
loominus

Post by loominus »

i attempted to do some research and readup on WINS servers... all i can say is WOAH!
i'm aspiring to be a network administrator... i guess that's what i have to look forward to.
still hard to understand.
everything i read seemed to take me to another area i had to read, which lead to another area i had to read.
all of it being overwhelming and confusing.

is there any that have successfully networked there windows 8 PC w/ XBMC to successfully stream videos from said PC?
if so, can detailed info be provided on how this was accomplished.
loominus

Post by loominus »

ok...
through vigorous research i was able to find the way to share my videos files stored on the HDD. any external storage device connected thru USB, i still seem to have a problem w/.
also, i ensured i got the most stable version of the XBMC build however when i attempt to play a video file, nothing happens.
so i then attempted watching a DVD... again nothing.

i then ran my older build of XBMC, shared the files and played the videos...
what's the diff?
the older build is several years old (I couldn't tell you what build).
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

loominus

Post by loominus »

ok...
so i went to the log file and found that this:
- XBMC4Xbox. Built on May 16 2011 (SVN:30850, compiler 1310)
which is hard to believe, b/c i dont remember working on this xBox in 2011, but my old 1 did go out on me and i did mod the new one i got which was probably around that time...

so anyways, in what ways may this build differ from the new on in the since that the video files dont play?
Dom DXecutioner

a reAwakening

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

The point was to retrieve and upload the debug log as described in the post! We are not gonna sit here and discuss differences as they are abundant. The debug log of both builds - the one that works and the one that doesn't - may provide more details than pure speculation.