XBMC4Xbox 3.5 final wait forever for DVD

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
blackonwoman

XBMC4Xbox 3.5 final wait forever for DVD

Post by blackonwoman »

Hello,

I have Xbox without DVD drive (in M8 bios "no DVD" option set) and in XBMC files manager it's just wait the answer from DVD drive ? no menu at all, no reactions on buttons, but FTP work fine ... In XBMC system info page it's "freeze" too ...

any solutions please ?
Oldxboxusa

Re: XBMC4Xbox 3.5 final wait forever for DVD

Post by Oldxboxusa »

A burned DVD? Which DVD drive you have? More information please.
blackonwoman

Post by blackonwoman »

sorry for misunderstanding, but I don't have DVD ROM DRIVE in my Xbox, I'm buying it without DVD DRIVE ...
for 3.5 final version of XBMC it's may be a problem ? because of "freezing" in file manager and system info pages
tim619

Post by tim619 »

That sounds like a bug. I think the code was written assuming xbox has dvd drive so the special case isn't checked and obviously if the status is expected from system but doesnt come it runs forever as you said. You should create a ticket: http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/xbmc4xbox/issues
Btw does this only happen on 3.5?
One solution I would say is adding a timer eg 5 seconds. If xbox doesnt react in this time it has no drive and should return.
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

This ca be because it was the wrong Bios flashed i mean.
Do you have it flashed or someone else?

It must be flashed without the DVD Drive Option (show in my first screen) and the DVD Cable must be jumpered in special order (second screenshot).
Jumper with original cable soldered
Jumper with original cable soldered
XboxDVDFool.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
EVtool Bios Options
EVtool Bios Options
Screenshot 2014-10-21 15.12.03.jpg (32.63 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
On my Xbox i don't have this bug. I have the special DVD Drive Option in my first Bios, but when i start my second without this Option, my box deosn't restart or hungs up.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

If I understand correct you have two bioses flashed, one with dvd skip hack and one without.
You say both boot fine without probs -> this would mean you dont have your dvd drive separated from your xbox.
If I'm right pls put of the yellow wire (electricity) from dvd drive and try again...

blackonwoman has flashed his bios 100% correctly otherwise he couldnt boot the xbox without error code because of the missing drive.
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

It made no sense. I had a switch for that backside of my box. Because sometimes I use a PC DVD drive under Linux.
blackonwoman

Post by blackonwoman »

thank you for your help

I'm will try to set jumpers first. Yes the BIOS flashed with "NO DVD" option.
In older XBMC version, I belive version 1.7? from Slayers autoinstaller DVD, file manager works without problem, in the drives list missing DVD Drive (D:) set as always opened ....
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

That's not normal I mean. Normally I think that DVD drive must closed in file manager.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

I'm pretty sure I was right with my guess...
I would recommend to not try to set the jumpers even if that would solve your problem it is still a bug and you have a risc of damage...
blackonwoman

Post by blackonwoman »

hmm, without jumpers some old games can check state of the Xbox DVD drive (opened/closed) ?
tim619

Post by tim619 »

No. But I would say they dont check if the drive is closed that would in my opinion check the bios. But if its checked by games that would be the only reason for setting jumpers. Just try if some games check that...
xman

Post by xman »

I have one machine, a slim, that has a "busy" displayed in filemanager. Never has been an issue other than it saying busy. You wouldn't be using a big sata HDD by chance would you?. I ask this because I have had freezing in File manager on another machine and that was as a result of using a 1TB sata HDD with a "non DVD" bios. What I found was it wasn't necessarily the sata HDD or the adapter because when I tried with a 600Gb sata HDD with the same adapter, it worked perfectly however, when I tried the same brand and type sata HDD but it was a 750GB, the problem can back, freezing in file manager. How I cured it, as I wanted the machine to have a 1TB HDD, was to remove the "non DVD" bios, replace it with a standard DVD m8 bios and install just the PC board out of a Thomson DVD, the exact same "trick" you use to make a slim softmod machine and I have this machine working perfectly today. You can use any DVD board, I just used a Thomson because they were the smallest boards I had at the time.
You may find this post interesting....http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... slim#p3078
blackonwoman

Post by blackonwoman »

xman wrote:I have one machine, a slim, that has a "busy" displayed in filemanager. Never has been an issue other than it saying busy. You wouldn't be using a big sata HDD by chance would you?. I ask this because I have had freezing in File manager on another machine and that was as a result of using a 1TB sata HDD with a "non DVD" bios. What I found was it wasn't necessarily the sata HDD or the adapter because when I tried with a 600Gb sata HDD with the same adapter, it worked perfectly however, when I tried the same brand and type sata HDD but it was a 750GB, the problem can back, freezing in file manager. How I cured it, as I wanted the machine to have a 1TB HDD, was to remove the "non DVD" bios, replace it with a standard DVD m8 bios and install just the PC board out of a Thomson DVD, the exact same "trick" you use to make a slim softmod machine and I have this machine working perfectly today. You can use any DVD board, I just used a Thomson because they were the smallest boards I had at the time.
You may find this post interesting....http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... slim#p3078

hmmm, no I'm using IDE HDD about 80GIG (not locked)
btw the my ticket was closed and they ask me set the jumpers

UPDATE
I make jumpers (from picture in this thread) and in XBMC 3.5 file manager works OK now (tray in menu still opened) but in system info menu still freezing and after second restart xbox bios freezing and don't load from HDD

UPDATE 2
if I put TRAYIN signal to HI state(3.3v) then file manager don't work ...
if I put TRAYOUT and CDRDY to LO state (gnd) then file manager don't work and xbox can't do second reboot ...

UPDATE 3

Ok then I'm trying some other jumpers and stiil nothing (freezing), so I guess XBMC 3.5 or may be BIOS need some from DVD ROM DRIVE in some state ...

well I need then to search some DVD ROM drive board in local trash :|