Is what I have good enough or not?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Gino34

Is what I have good enough or not?

Post by Gino34 »

I bought a modded Xbox last year and the dude put Coinops 5 on it and XBMC.

My question is, is XBMC on the original Xbox still upgradable to the newer version? If so, how do I do it? Also, I've noticed that videos in 720p don't run very smooth. I have a 10 mbps download speed and was wondering if buying an OUYA or an Android Box with XBMC would be better?

Is the XBMC on my Xbox the same experience or not? I noticed that there's a new dashboard/skin available. I'm also experiencing alot of errors with scripts and movies/tv shows won't play. How do I fix this or is it easier to just go out and buy new hardware? If so, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks! :D
cashonly

Re: Is what I have good enough or not?

Post by cashonly »

Hello, download XBMC4XBOX-3.5-RC2.zip
Connect trough FTP tho the XBOX and then:
On the pc rename de XBMC folder to XBMC new> FTP-it to the folder where XBMC dashboard is located> On the XBOX use the file manager and go to XBMC new folder and launch default.xbe> Go to XBMC folder and rename it to XBMC old, enter it and lauch default.xbe> Go to XBMC new folder, rename it to XBMC, enter it and launch default.xbe

The best quality of the movies so far, and with best playback, i have found the ones that are called "BRRIP XVID"
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
tim619

Post by tim619 »

The best movie quality without custom reencoding to special 720p profile is DVD. The second best without reencoding is x264 @720 pixel width.

If you want to run hd video with xbmc I would recommend raspberry pi although I didn't test it people say it runs fluent with 1080p and needs very low energy. Of course you would buy an extra sd storage for it to save your movies. xbmc4xbox has a very good all-in-one solution: You can play videos fluently until 480p, play xbox games, play emu games and there is also much homebrew available. Other systems supporting xbmc have most often only support for standard addons...

If you want to have the full experience like on xbmc for windows I would recommend buying some hardware which is official supported by xbmc like raspberry pi or apple tv or similar.
Because xbmc4xbox is not an offical xbmc (anymore) the authors of addons and also xbmc create code which is often not really easy portable to xbmc4xbox and because only Buzz develops it anymore it takes more time and only some requests can be filled.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

tim619 wrote:The best movie quality without custom reencoding to special 720p profile is DVD. The second best without reencoding is x264 @720 pixel width.
Tim, you are almost right, but could express this more clearly (720w x 480h is 480p resolution).

Xbox will do 480p (720 x 480 DVD resolution) or 576i (1024 or 720 x 576 PAL telly resolution) at good bitrates encoded in H.262 (original mpeg2 DVD format), H.263 (divx/xvid) or H.264 (x264).
Xbox will do 720p (1280 x 720 HD) in H.263 at good bitrates and looks great, but can't manage H.264 - it's too computationally demanding for its processor unless it's encoded at very low bitrates, in which case the quality will be rubbish so it's not worth trying.