[solved] Xbox to Xbox direct copy?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Colani1200

[solved] Xbox to Xbox direct copy?

Post by Colani1200 »

Hi all,

is it possible to copy the content from one Xbox to another Xbox directly without a PC? I could add the second Xbox as FTP server in the file manager, however I can't copy anything, the option simply isn't available in the menu. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Colani1200 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
fxmech

Re: Xbox to Xbox direct copy?

Post by fxmech »

Rather than copy FROM the local Xbox TO the remote Xbox, instead "pull" the desired files FROM the remote Xbox TO the local one.

Hope that helps.

Otherwise, there are other dashboards that suit well for file management/FTP. UnleashX and Avalaunch. You may want to try those if your problems persist. You might want to try them anyway if working with really big HDDs. UnleashX and Avalaunch are both much faster with file operations (including FTP) in my experience.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

File Manager > Add source > FTP source pointing to the "other" XBMC4Xbox > navigate to it on one side while keeping the local on the other side.
If you want to copy from this "one" to the "other" one, on the local side select the file/folder you want to copy > context menu > Copy.
From the "other" one to this one, switch to the "other" side and perform the same steps.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Filema ... ntext_Menu

Is this what you did and what option didn't you get?

Huh, I see there is a note "you are unable to copy or move files TO network shares, but you are able to copy (but not move) them FROM the network shares" - I don't know how old that is, everyone knows you can copy things "down", I always thought you could copy things "up" as well, must try and validate that later today. If that's the case, fxmech is right, maybe you could do the above in reverse, as in copy from the other box to this one, this is starting to confuse me too :-)

What version you running, give us a screenshot.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Genera ... ts_of_XBMC
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Settin ... #Debugging

As said, might not be the fastest way to do it cause XBMC4Xbox FTP server is on the slower side compared to other dashboards, but for occasional or small files does the job just fine.
Colani1200

Post by Colani1200 »

I am running 3.5 RC 2 on both boxes, and yes, I was trying to "push", but there was no copy option in the context menu. Will try to pull from the other Xbox as suggested. We're talking about > 100 GB, so I guess using a different dash altogether is recommended?!
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I personally use UnleashX, it has an FTP client in the file manager (start button for menu).

Once again, PULL the files. UnleashX has a bug pushing (personally I see no pattern to replicate it) .. Every so often a new folder on the receiving end will be created as a corrupted empty file. The transfer usually fails at that point.

XBMC should work fine though.

My general results are XBMC is half as fast. 6MB/s vs. 12MB/s
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

You're perfectly right, I just tried it, when on the other side is a remote location in File Manager, the copy from local option is not displayed anymore, it's only available from the remote location, so the notes in the wiki seem to be right. So I guess pull is your option when it comes to XBMC4Xbox as a client.

Most people complain about XBMC4Xbox as the FTP server, since in most cases the FTP client is their PC pushing and pulling files - I found as well that at most I could get on a wired 100 Mbps network is around 4-5 MB (with no change to XBMC4Xbox FileZilla server configuration), while with other dashboards you could get almost 2x that. And it only gets worse with a lot of small files.

Never had two Xboxes, might be interesting to try this "auto-detection" function and see what's it about.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Settin ... -detection

In the end, 100 GB of data will take a while to transfer. If it's Media files, I would recommend to buy or build your own NAS machine (I have a 3 TB Seagate GoFlex Home NAS, I find it very handy as local network storage), that way you can share the same between machines and even copy down if you need to. Even for Games it makes sense to store them on the NAS machine and push them down whenever you need to. Or if you build Xboxes to sell still makes sense to have a central location to store your files and upload as needed. If you need better and faster way to transfer files between the two hard-drives might be a good idea to specifically ask that on the Xbox modding forum.
Colani1200

Post by Colani1200 »

I pulled the files and used UnleashX on the "server" side. Took a couple of hours, but worked fine, thanks! 8-)