[solved]paplayer streaming cache / problem with some streams

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Colani1200

[solved]paplayer streaming cache / problem with some streams

Post by Colani1200 »

Hi all,

first of all, thank you for your efforts to keep the original xbmc alive.

Now to my question: I am having a problem to get a stable audio with paplayer and some very slow internet radio streams, which seem to rely heavily on the client's buffering capabilities. Best example to reproduce is this one: http://www.friskyradio.com/m3u/friskychill.m3u

Is there a way to manipulate the cache size or buffering behaviour of paplayer in any way? Does it cache at all? Mplayer will play the streams just fine, however it does not support gapless ogg and flac, so I can't use it as default audio player. Same goes for DVDplayer. I am running 3.5 RC1 btw.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Colani1200 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dan.h

Re: paplayer streaming cache / problem with some streams

Post by dan.h »

Hey there, this has worked in the past for me with buffering internet video, hopefully will work for radio streams
Colani1200

Post by Colani1200 »

dan.h wrote:Hey there, this has worked in the past for me with buffering internet video, hopefully will work for radio streams
Tried this today, but it doesn't help. Any other suggestions?
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

As usual, a debug log might help show things under the cover - enable DEBUG, start the stream, wait to play then extract Q:\xbmc.log and upload to xbmclogs.com or pastebin.com
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=65

Second, try increasing the Audio Cache - Internet in MPlayer section (can't find the actual name as I'm away from an Xbox) - "cacheaudio.internet" setting seems to be used by paplayer/AudioDecoder.cpp although the default of 256 KB should probably be enough (remember the default to put it back).
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

apart from a from right at the beginning when it started to stream (there was a momentary blip), the friskychill_mp3_high stream plays fine here with paplayer (at least for the 5 mins I listened) - paplayer does use a filecache.
Colani1200

Post by Colani1200 »

BuZz wrote:apart from a from right at the beginning when it started to stream (there was a momentary blip), the friskychill_mp3_high stream plays fine here with paplayer (at least for the 5 mins I listened) - paplayer does use a filecache.
Well, I don't know why, but I am unable to get stable audio with paplayer on this one. I doubt that it's my internet connection, 16 MBit ADSL should be more than enough.

Another stream I have problems with is this one: http://85.17.75.143:80
Paplayer will start playing fine, but after listening to it for quite a while, the audio will start to "stutter" in a very subtle way. It's not easy to hear as it's a very light "hickup" from time to time, like a very light timestretch with a bad algorithm. A bit hard to describe... Again, DVDplayer will play the stream fine.

Some suggestions / questions:
- Would it be possible to make DVDplayer gapless? This would eliminate the need for paplayer alltogether.
- Alternatively, would it be possible to add a menu entry to the audio playback configuration so you can select different default players for streaming content and local files?
- Alternatively something for Dan Dar3: Could you add a "play with" menu item to your Android remote app, like in the file manager of XBMC? As I control XBMC 99% from my phone, this would also fix the problem for me. PS: Yes I bought the premium version.... ;)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Colani1200
Re XBMC4Xbox Remote for Android app (thank you for your support!), I'm afraid the XBMC4Xbox HTTP API is quite limited and it doesn't allow to choose the player, it just tells it to play it.

What you can do is add a rule to have the MP3 stream played through DVD Player.

Code: Select all

16:48:54 M: 56377344  NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://xbmc/system/playercorefactory.xml.
16:48:54 M: 56373248  NOTICE: Loaded playercorefactory configuration
16:48:54 M: 56352768  NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://profile/playercorefactory.xml.
16:48:54 M: 56352768  NOTICE: Loaded playercorefactory configuration
16:49:10 M: 36257792   DEBUG: CCurlFile::GetMimeType - http://chill.friskyradio.com/friskychill_mp3_high -> audio/mpeg
Save the contents below as Q:\UserData\playercorefactory.xml
(based on Q:\system\playercorefactory.xml and the contents of the Q:\xbmc.log file)

Code: Select all

<playercorefactory>
  <rules>
    <!-- Internet streams -->
    <rule name="streams" internetstream="true">
      <rule name="mp3" mimetypes="audio/mpeg" player="DVDPlayer" />
    </rule>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
Colani1200

Post by Colani1200 »

Dan Dar3: Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. I will try this and let you know...
Colani1200

Post by Colani1200 »

Works like a charm! Thanks a lot! 8-)
Dan Dar3

Re: [solved]paplayer streaming cache / problem with some str

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Well done, enjoy :-)