Old XBMC user hole new world.

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
scorpionkong

Old XBMC user hole new world.

Post by scorpionkong »

I'd like to get some answers on a few topics and thought this would be the best place to ask them.

1. XBMC was made and intended for use on XBOX but I have gotten a slap in the face this week as it's on alot of other platforms.
2. XBMC was a easy to use software that could link all my home media servers into one device witch it still does and I love very much.
3. I am willing to learn if I feel it will be worth the time and I think XBMC is and will be the best media center out there......

So my questions :

After installing the newest version I could find and linking up all my data I went online and after watching a few of the youtube videos on how to get repositories and something called hub wizard. Neither the repo downloads and the hub wiz worked everything has script errors. My question is where do I go to find things that work????

Other little problem I have the screen rez set correctly in all my other Emu's and App's but in the XMBC I can adjust the screen and once I leave the setting table it just goes back to the same thing can't read bottom line of info. I can see top's of text going by can't see the letters any idea's?

My last question is more like whats happening in the future for XBOX do you plan to have a hub wiz setup to make things easyier for us or something that would be a full preload of everything we can use because it seems like users can't do much with the XBMC XBOX version even though there are hunderds of other platform Add-ons that work.
Dan Dar3

Re: Old XBMC user hole new world.

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Hey scorpionkong, and welcome back.

Yes, things have changed a little since you've last used XBMC - it evolved from Xbox to all the other platforms and a few years back they had plans too big for the old Xbox, felt it was holding them back so they ditched it. See http://xbmc.org/farewell-xbox/

So now that one is "XBMC" - the main project you can find at http://www.xbmc.org - and is for anything else but Xbox, and this one is now called "XBMC4Xbox".

In terms of developers, Arnova continued to make changes for a while before the split, then he gave up and now this project has only one developer, Buzz. He did a tremendous job in not only keeping the old ticker going, but also hosting this website and sources. You can follow the development on the main page on right side or here (see Development tab at the top) in terms of code changes and opened / closed tickets (that is reported bugs or request for features):
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/development/

There are a few others that help with unofficial builds, adjusting skins or addons to work on XBMC4Xbox, while most contribute their time to support other users on the forums - apparently we all are a bunch of stubborn people fighting the times :-)

XBMC4Xbox is lagging behind in terms of features for the same reason the the project was dropped in the first place (lack of CPU power and amount of RAM) and for that reason not everything can or will be ported to XBMC4Xbox. One of the last efforts (still ongoing) was to update the version of Python and other adjustments as well as including an installer plugin, to allow for XBMC addons to work on XBMC4Xbox - you should try one of the latest 3.5 beta builds (if you haven't already). I don't know what this "hub wiz" is, but maybe others here do and will clarify whether a similar works or if there's any plans for it.

For general Python plugin errors, you need to provide an debug log - from that we can see more about what you're using, the version of it, and what went wrong it it. More details here: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=65
scorpionkong

Post by scorpionkong »

Awe yes thankx for the info and as a electrical tech with a few tricks up my sleve when it comes to hosting sites and files like this one my servers are open to you if you need some space or a friendly helping hand.

I had brought up a title name that was shortened up it is called XBMC HUB WIZARD I used it last night on the windows version of XMBC and it basically reprogramed XMBC for windows with all the add-ons I can use. XBMX HUB WIZARD didn't have XBOX but did have all in one setups for everything else. E.G. streaminig tv, audio, and emu's with just one click. I guess what I was trying to ask is.... Does XBMC4XBOX have a repo out there that holds what we have so far for app's and such or is the new dev of XBMC4XBOX still not have add-ons?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I personally wouldn't recommend using any wizard style addons, they install old versions of addons and then hope that XBMC can auto update them successfully to the newer versions. This is all fine and well in theory but in practice things can go horribly wrong as they also installs old versions of script modules which can overwrite existing newer modules and create a right mess! I've been a member of both the hub and xunity teams over the past few years and Xunity actually dropped their wizard for this very reason. Also addons are continually changing and often break so you'll no doubt end up with a lot of outdated content installed that no longer works.

As the Xbox doesn't have an auto-update mechanism for the addons you'd find a wizard style installer would work for a few days/weeks but soon everything would be outdated and hardly any addon would work.

I've created a Total Installer addon which makes installing addons a breeze but unfortunately it's not yet xbox compatible so for now the easiest way to install your addons is using the Addons4Xbox Installer. Hopefully some clever coder out there can help me with an Xbox version soon (Dan or anyone else if you're reading lol) ;)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@whufclee
Sorry Lee, I know you sent me an email about it, didn't have time to look at it yet, but I will look soon.

Adding the link to Total Installer thread here for reference:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=2930
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

No problem Dan I know you've been busy mate :)

I really should work harder on it myself but I seem to be juggling too many balls all at once. As soon as one project is finished two more seem to pop up in it's place! Any help you can give will be much appreciated cheers.