FTP transfer succeeds but files missing - Cluster problem

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
tim619

FTP transfer succeeds but files missing - Cluster problem

Post by tim619 »

Hey guys,

since a few days I have a strange problem: I transfer files from pc (win7, filezilla) to xbox (xbmc or unleashx same result)
and mostly on games (some music transfer or even xbmc install is working) I get the result that all files are transfered correct, also with normal speed but
when I try to run games or see the files in file manager or on ftp the directory contains no files and even folders are missing...
My first idea was that hdd is full but it says 192gigs are free on f:\ ...

Here is a screenshot:

If I now transfer the files from directory left to ftp directory filezilla says files are already available, but they arent...

e: after reading in about this topic I found out that I have obviously chosen the wrong cluster size.
Last edited by tim619 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spinnersp

Re: FTP transfer succeeds but files missing

Post by spinnersp »

have you tried rebooting
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@tim619
Look at your FilleZilla log panel up at the top - right after connect it will tell you how much free space you have.
Then, in the same panel will highlight in red transfer errors, as well as showing them in the "failed" transfer panel at the bottom.

It's best to configure FileZilla to transfer one file at a time, or otherwise you need to increase the number of connections in FileZilla server on XBMC4Xbox side (FileZilla > Edit > Settings > Transfers > Maximum simultaneus Transfers) - otherwise if too many transfers at the same time, some of them will timeout and fail due to unavailable server connections.

My blogpost here will give you an idea about that.
http://dandar3.blogspot.com/2010/03/xbm ... t-ftp.html
tim619

Post by tim619 »

thx Dan, but I'm sure all is setup correct, I'm using just one connection.

Maybe its because of LBA48 (I formatted drive when having a chipped box and set up with xbpartioner) my box is not custom bios'ed anymore and maybe at this point its done..
I have no other idea since I transfered many files (~200gb) using this settings :|
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

What size partition(s)?
and
Is it partitioned as F only or F+G?
and
Which version of XBPartitioner was used?

It may be the cause, as you suspect.

You can also try limiting simultaneous up/down to 1 each in your global&site settings. Really, the idea behind limiting connections is to avoid simultaneous writes to the FatX filesystem (especially on large files). As you upload, there are periodic downloads of directory listings needing to happen, and you may also encounter an improvement when creating recursive folders on the Xbox.

Also, increase the minimum time between connection attempts. I also lower the # of connection attempts in Filezilla for good measure.

Finally, on the Xbox end, I recommend using UnleashX. It has superior response times and transfer speed.

For overcoming failed connection attempts, increase the maximum allowed connections to 10 in the UnleashX settings.

I've found UnleashX needs a reboot to clear the server's connections count periodically. When doing large transfers that last hours, the connected users count seems to "forget" to remove connections when they close/timeout/reconnect. Or something.

Hope this advice helps many people.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Thx fxmech, I used the latest build of xbpartioner and used the standard sizes and F takes the rest. I did use ux as well but had more errors with this even it was much quicker. Do you think it will work again if I put on custom bios like the one had before? I read the xbtool lba48 warning that it won't...
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

What size partitions, tim? Or even just the size of your HDD?

This is basic information we need to know if you suspect it to be bios/LBA/partition related. I am from Wisconsin and I tend to ask many questions at once. It's a thing we do up here. So you are forgiven for your transgressions and I will still help if you answer the rest of my questions. :D
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

fxmech wrote:What size partitions, tim? Or even just the size of your HDD?

This is basic information we need to know if you suspect it to be bios/LBA/partition related. I am from Wisconsin and I tend to ask many questions at once. It's a thing we do up here. So you are forgiven for your transgressions and I will still help if you answer the rest of my questions. :D
I'm guessing you are alluding to cluster size error ?
Tim619 if the hdd is large which i assume it is by the 192gig free then possibly the cluster size is wrong and you may need to reformat the extended partitions again.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Thx guys, sorry I forgot to mention that the drive is a 500gb. The partitions are than standard by xbpartioner. The f drive has its size correctly shown in xbmc and filezilla but I'm assuming it's a cluster corruption. My problem is that I have a disabled chip inside which I want to hotflash as soon as I'll get some soldering things... So if I now reformat the partition I think it'll only work on my actual softmod. Also it would be great if I don't have to transfer all things again but if that's needed I'll do so
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

You mention the "newest" version was used but make sure you use XBPart 1.3. Everything else requires extra steps and verification. It successfully writes a 128 bit cluster size. Without locking up on huge drives. Yes, you will lose the contents of your F partition.

It's late so good luck with your other plans on this box. In not sure I understand your other plan. Cheers.
restless

Post by restless »

Have u set it to binary transfer?
tim619

Post by tim619 »

yes, tried binary ans ascii mode at 1,2,8 connections nothing helped. Transfer to partion C and E works perfect like normal, but E makes problems
I'm quite sure now that's because of not having lba patched bios, but for now I'm not sure if it's worth reformating the drive and retransfer all files again and
maybe the same if I flash a new bios, what is my plan if I get soldering equipment.
tim619

Re: FTP transfer succeeds but files missing - Cluster proble

Post by tim619 »

I now want to backup my data and reformat my drive.
I found that accurate information:

Code: Select all

8k x 16 = 128gb
16k x 16 = 256gb, thats the maximum partition size
32k x 16 = 512gb, thats the maximum partition size
64k x 16 = 1024gb per partition
So i was wondering if it would be the best choice to use F and G partition instead of only F and split the rest space by half so both (F and G) should have a some less than 250gb (my drive is 500gb) and I could choose the better 16 cluster.

Can somebody say if I interpreted this right?
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

16KB cluster are not better or more reliable than 32KB or 64KB ones.
I would not split them, very bad idea on a storage management point of view. Only use F+G if your HDD is bigger than 1TB.

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 679#p14452
tim619

Post by tim619 »

thanks xphazer, I already splitted to 2x 229gb @16k cluster and FTPing worked great. But when I took a look on growing file size in xbmc filemanager when uploading a movie, the filesize growed by 32mb so I assume it went again wrong although XBPartioner v1.3 highlighted that all went good and it's 16k cluster. I think I will format again only F, 458gb @ 32k but before resize and than resize again. I'm pretty sure that is a bug or not implemented in xbpartitioner.

and btw obviously 16k clusters are better for files which are smaller than 16k because they would take 16k and on 32k they would take 32k and so

Edit: I have now one F partition @ 458gb with 32k clusters manually checked with files smaller than ~10kb and evox. All should work now. Thanks for your help :D