AVI transcoding / playback problems

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
coacharnold

AVI transcoding / playback problems

Post by coacharnold »

Hi Folks .... so I have this enormous video file 2.3g. it came to me as an mp4 ... so I transcoded it to AVI (and 3gigs) ... it plays fine on my computer but across my network to my xbox it plays only the sound, no picture. What am i dong wrong?

Tim
Dan Dar3

Re: AVI transcoding / playback problems

Post by Dan Dar3 »

You're not providing a debug log, that's what you're doing wrong :-)
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=65
coacharnold

Post by coacharnold »

I'm not sure I need a debug log as .... I don't think it's XBMC. IT"S A big mp4 .... that I convert to AVI. I've had this problem in the past .... and again ... i'm pretty sure it's not XBMC other than a limitation.

Sorry ...I'll keep it to myself next time
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

avi is a container format - which can handle a variety of audio/video codecs. By posting a debug log we can see specifically what audio/video codec you are using, and can advise on options - such as using a different codec.

I recommend an mpeg4 part 2 based video codec, such as ffmpeg's mpeg4 codec, xvid or similar. with ffmpeg's mpeg4 codec, you can playback 1280x720p video at up to around 6000kbit/s. if you download the latest ffmpeg for windows (or whatever is your os of choice), I can give you an example commandline to convert a file:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i infile.mkv -scodec copy -acodec copy -vcodec mpeg4 -b:v 4000k -maxrate 5500k -bufsize 8192k -s 1280x720 -f matroska -y outfile.mkv
change infile.mkv to whatever the file you want to transcode is, and outfile.mkv to destination filename. this will transcode an input file, scaling it to 1280x720 (design to take in video that is that resolution or higher), copying the audio, and producing a matroska file with mpeg4 video that xbmc4xbox can play.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I also note that you previously asked for help, and never provided a debug log too (http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=1730) after being asked. We can try and help you, but you need to help us with the requested information too.