Bricked Xbox following XBMC install errors 9 and 12

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
dairug

Bricked Xbox following XBMC install errors 9 and 12

Post by dairug »

Hi Guys

Wondering if someone could kindly shed some light on this issue for me please? It seems an odd coincidence!

This morning I deleted the XBMC folder created by Slayer's V2.6 install disc some time ago and replaced it with the latest build of XBMC in exactly the same location.

Without rebooting the xbox from Evox Dash I clicked on the existing XBMC link on the dashboard presuming the existing shortcut would work..........Disaster!

As soon as I clicked the shortcut, the Xbox went to the black/green error screen stating "error 9"

I switched off and on a few times and this screen came up each time alternating between error 9 and error 12.

On one occasion, the Evox dash was barely visible and was mixed on the screen with the black/green xbox logo as per the normal boot screen so I tried to ftp at that point to remove the folder I had added but it won't connect.

Reading up on these errors it looks like a HDD failure (Loose cables etc) yet this machine hasn't been touched since purchase from Lik-Sang in 2002.

Luckily I backed up the C and E drives yesterday along with the eeeprom so I should be able to install a new drive but I was really curious to see if there was any likelihood of me bricking it by installing a piece of software?

Would anyone have a theory?

Many Thanks
Chris
spicemuseum

Re: Bricked Xbox following XBMC install errors 9 and 12

Post by spicemuseum »

My guess is that you were unlucky. Your hard disc was on its way out and writing to it provoked it to fail. (It's happened to me before.) Well done for being prepared.
dairug

Post by dairug »

Thanks for the advice! The dilemma now is whether its worth keeping my prized possession Lik Sang modded NTSC model and provide it with a new DVD and HDD or to buy a soft modded one pre installed with everything which will probably be cheaper and save me countless hours!!!

Presumably theres no real advantage of a hard modded console any more? Certainly if the Pal consoles can be made to output 720p through a component cable?

Many Thanks
Chris
destronger

Post by destronger »

there is still an advantage to a hard mod. by having a chipped xbox you can put in a new hdd and format it from install disk. you can't do this with a softmod. you can use a unlocked hdd with a hard mod. a hard mod can use modified bios, ie no more flubber, video mods, etc. you can slap in any DVD from any Xbox, install a new hdd, use a Xbox installer of your choice and your old xbox is back.
+ T +: Every time you mention Midway games in Final Burn, iq_132 kills a kitten!
ImageImage
dairug

Post by dairug »

Sounds like good advice. Just bought two old xboxes for £20 to take the parts out of and have a hard drive here ready to swap out. Hopefully I can get a new drive that will boot an install disk! Worked out cheaper than buying a refurbished drive.

Is it just a case of plug and play with the DVD drive then? They're not locked to a console like on the 360 or does my mod chip override that?

Last question - and thanks again guys for the help - is with flashing the bios. I suspect my chip is one of the earliest and as such I doubt the bios will allow me to use the full 320gb of my new drive. Is there an easier way of determining what chip you have without viewing it and comparing it with images online?

Bios checker returns an unknown bios when it's run and it's not stated in evox dash.

I thought Id read somewhere that the evox.ini will have a reference to the chip or bios being used but it needs a tweak to display it in evox. Doesn't sound likely but I thought I'd ask.

Many Thanks
Chris
destronger

Post by destronger »

dvd's are swappable and not coded to the Xbox. if you have an older chip, ie the ones with wires everywhere then your limited to 120g... maybe 200g but don't quote me on that. your gonna have to open your xbox and find out. you gotta replace your hdd & DVD anyways so might as well look under the hood. just use caution as mod chip wires are normally very thin wires. take a picture and post it here. we'll take a look and see if it's upgradable bios wise.
+ T +: Every time you mention Midway games in Final Burn, iq_132 kills a kitten!
ImageImage
dairug

Post by dairug »

That's really helpful. I'll certainly do that. I've just picked up two spare consoles for parts so if it's not possible to utilise my 320gb drive in my modded console I could soft mod another. Thanks for all the advice!
Chris
blighty

Post by blighty »

Sure you can use that drive in that xbox, if you have a more recent mod chip than the old skool 29 wire jobbie you can update it if you have a 29 wire jobbie with a bit of extra work you can disable it and flash the tsop.
dairug

Post by dairug »

Hi Guys

Amazingly - I managed to sort it! My xbox fired up after no use for a few weeks - last time I tried it, it limped into Evox then crashed and then gave me errors 9 and 12 continually.

I got a slayers disc working then quickly changed the hard drive over, booted the disc and formatted the drive. Have now got a more up to date install than I had previously and have had the pleasure of playing around with XBMC for the first time on it.

Weirdly, having removed the hard drive and DVD drive, there is no sign of a mod chip anywhere on the motherboard yet it must have one or I'd have had a tougher time swapping the hard drive out. Luckily, whatever is installed is allowing evox and xbmc to see the full 250gigs on the F Drive which was my worry in terms of not knowing which chip or bios I'm running.

I looped up gen 1 chips and there should be a huge chip on the left of the motherboard with wires going all over the place but nothing at all - weird but irrelevant now.

Thanks for your help on this guys, will have to get my head around the forum now to work out why I can't get inlayer and tv catchup to stream anything.

Thanks
Chris