Poor resolution and Enable 720p disabled

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
devinvisible

Poor resolution and Enable 720p disabled

Post by devinvisible »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have recently taken my hand at running xbmc on my recently acquired v1.2/3 xbox. I used AID v4.53 to install an older version (Built on Apr 4 2011 (SVN:30836, compiler 1310)) and then replaced it soon after with the 3.3.3 release. In both versions the System > Video output > Enable 480p, 720p, and 1080i settings are in a disabled state. In 3.3.3, everything looks zoomed in as well. I know I can use screen calibration but this looks odd.

I read a post on a different forum mentioning switching between NTSC and PAL using Enigmah-x_video_select_v2... but after some laughing, a beer, and 15 minutes of working through a scrambled PAL-rendered dashboard, I realized that I was correctly in NTSC.

Am I missing something here? As I'm writing this I realize that I'm using the VGA cable (yellow/white/red) from the back of my xbox. Do I need to be using component cables for this to work? Something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Component-Ca ... B000E61G4O)?

Any other suggestions for getting the screen to look good and be properly aligned right out of the box? For what it's worth, his is being displayed on an old 50" Panasonic plasma tv.

Any thoughts, comments, critique is welcome. Thanks in advanced.
dan.h

Re: Poor resolution and Enable 720p disabled

Post by dan.h »

Yep you got it right, you'll need component leads for 720p. I've seen some people give negative comments on the cable you've chosen but I think they're in the minority and for the price and availability I'd go for it. If you were interested in digital audio out then you could search for the official MS pack or similar.

To tidy up your current picture, have you calibrated the screen under settings > appearance?
devinvisible

Post by devinvisible »

My initial stop gap was to calibrate the screen under settings > appearance. Since then I've gone back to using the xbmc version that came with AID v4.53. I plan to fool around with the newest beta 2 build of xbmc soon to see if I get any better out of the box behavior -- I won't hold my breathe.

Aside from figuring out what the best version of various emulators are... my biggest burden is that I'm still booting into UnleashX (as per my original Ndure 3.1 softmod). Using XBE Shortcut Maker, I've created a replacement for the evoxdash.xbe in the root of E:\, however, I'm guessing that isn't the default dashboard that is getting run because I still initially boot into UnleashX. This isn't turning into a bit of a thread hijack but heyyyy.... if you know the answer, please do share!! :)
clabs

Post by clabs »

Recalibrating wont solve the problem - do as Dan says and buy a component cable and your picture will be sharp.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

The Kingroach NDURE 3.1 dashboard is E:\Dash\default.xbe. Before you mess with it, make sure you have a working boot / rescue disc.

In passing, the Team XBMC shortcut is easier to configure, as it's simply a text file.
devinvisible

Post by devinvisible »

clabs wrote:Recalibrating wont solve the problem - do as Dan says and buy a component cable and your picture will be sharp.
Thanks. I've got my order in for the link above (or one similar) and my fingers are crossed that I don't get what I paid for. ;-)

Heimdall, I just grabbed the Team XBMC Shortcut and had no trouble deploying it. I'm now booting right into XBMC -- thanks, you're an awesome part of this community!!

I'll try to chime in with how the component cable turns out. I'm now busy collecting and deploy sexy wide images for all of the emulators I use. :geek: