plex to xbmc(xbox)

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
sixties keith

plex to xbmc(xbox)

Post by sixties keith »

my friend is currently setting up a plex server and i was wondering if its xbox compatible?

does any1 else on here use it and if so whats the benefits of it? also is there a plugin to install? thanks

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
skatulskijean

Re: plex to xbmc(xbox)

Post by skatulskijean »

its not posible without creating a compatible bonjour.dll for use on xbmc4xbox .
But i think that is not posible to.

regards jan
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Sorry for the post before i was not uptodate with my information.

plex change from bonjour to gdm and i think it can bring to work on xbmc4xbox.

I think it s with little changes on xbmc4xbox Beta Builds(Python 2.7) working to.

http://repository-plexbmc-addons.google ... -3.1.5.zip

from a fresh look i think only the views for the used skin since to add and under platform the xbmc.getCondVisibility for xbox.

I habe a better look the next days.

This can it do when it works:

3.1 PleXBMC Addon

PleXBMC supports all the standard functions that an official Plex client offers. Such as:

Browse, play and resume media in Plex Media Server sections.
Display all intermediate filter menus (selectable by user)
Search within library sections
Displays full metadata, thumbs, fanart, media flags for all items
Track and display the watched status for all items (start on one device and resume on another)
Automatic subtitle and audio stream support including external subtitle files (such as .srt)
Manually start a rescan of media sections
Delete media from Plex Media Server (where enabled by the media server)
Browse and play Plex Channels (support is currently limited)
myPlex support to allow authenticated access to remote Media Servers.
Support for Plex Online - install, modify or delete Plex Plugins
Wake On LAN - prod those sleeping servers
Transcode media with quality selector (good for remote playback)
Transcoding support for AC3 and DTS audio
Bonjour/zeroconf/GDM support

If have it only tested with musik and it is working without changes on a Beta 2.5 Build Python 2.7.
When we add the Views for confuence Light or your favorite Skins its nicer.
I thin i have on a HD the media Sources for the integration on a skin but i must Look.

GDM access was not working for me so i have give the adress Manual

Have the addon a Little Bit changed so thats its working full with Channel access have to add the Views for Confluence Light and other.
And do a little bit test again before i upload the changed Version

Its not the fastest solution but works (i can not say it is plex or my inet ,i have a look)

More testing Later

Regards Jan
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I would love this on xbmc4xbox too , new to Plex via the 10 pound now TV boxes.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Hmmm I have a Plex server running on my network... I should have a look....
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Geeba wrote:Hmmm I have a Plex server running on my network... I should have a look....
Its working with Channel Support on a 128MB Xbox all Standard Channels like Youtube and Vimeo have i testesd,the instalation from this channels over the xbox on the server works to.
I have only add one MusicAlbum on the server server and its playing fine on the xbox .The only Problem its the Fanart support the Fanarts since to big so that i think i change it on xbmc4xbox to access only one Fanart what is not so Big . I must have a look that i can this change on the standard channels plugins to (not so memory hungry fanart) .
Than i write to the developer from this addon and hope he integrated my changes to make the addon xbox compatible so that it not give two versions one for mainxbmc and one for the xbox i hope he give me the Sources for the media from the Skins what have plex support integrated on main xbmc so that we can this have on xbmc4xbox to.

Geeba have you tested the Libary with more as one ALbum or Movie it is on the xbox usable for you or not.

Regards Jan

Xbmc4xbox Beta 3.5 compatible addon Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/837 ... lexbmc.zip

-I have momently not add the views for Confluence Lite Skin or orthers.
-The Fanart Support on the xbox will not ever works (i must first test it on mainxbmc with a mainxbmc intallation not on the same pc as the plexserver is located do see its is working and what is problem i mean not only that the fanarts since to big)
-But all the others access the Media from your Plexserver and the Channels since working.

so its a verry nice addition for xbmc4xbox to
-I think to make it faster i must rewrite it complete (i do that on the next week)
Kevin G.

Post by Kevin G. »

This looks encouraging...I have PLEX Server installed on my server as well. It is my "go to" streamer, as I do not really like XBMC on PC...there's too much tweaking required. Too convoluted. I like it simple, and PLEX offers that.

If I want to download this and add it via FTP...Which drive and/or folder do I install to?
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Kevin G. wrote:This looks encouraging...I have PLEX Server installed on my server as well. It is my "go to" streamer, as I do not really like XBMC on PC...there's too much tweaking required. Too convoluted. I like it simple, and PLEX offers that.

If I want to download this and add it via FTP...Which drive and/or folder do I install to?
Please Install it over the addon4xbox Installer over xbmc4xbox self.

I writing still my own PlexMusic Addon :
GDM is than not suported it is only to accessing the Music from your Plexserver on xbmc4xbox over the ip from your pc
It access the Fanart and all Information without Problems.
On this i integrate only All artists (with Album,song, Fanart ,thumb description for the Artist) and a Albumsearch and Songsearch .
Not more and on nice way.
when i have this working i write a same solution for Movies and Tvshows !
I have it firstt written only with parsing over re. but that was not faster as over elementree and so i have it rewritten again.
my addon can then queve all abums from a artist or all songs from album what the main xbmc plexxbmc addon can not do.
Per default use it than the view-Types from Confluence Light.
Next week i past it on the addon release Thread as PlexMusic

Its verry bad that i can not develop in Assembler.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

First Picture from my upcomming PlexMusic Addon:

Album search ,Track Search ,Album Name ,Duration ,Rating ,Artist,Track since momently not integrated on the View or Player but since on the First Version next Week!

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Wow Jan , great work on this , it looks excellent , I can't wait for you to finish this :-)
Would this also work on mainline xbmc? I know they already have one for Plex but not like yours .
Keep up the good work
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

jan i have to agree i cant wait to see this finished.

also many thanks for the info you provided regarding the plex server. after abit of tweaking i managed to get it to work on the xbox with little problems. As you mentioned cover-art isn't displayed yet but the playback is great.

I'll do abit more testing and let you know any problems.

thanks again

edit -

ok so ive started testing and am trying to get higher bitrate videos to play on the xbox. ive had some success with .mp4 videos which wouldnt play with just xbmc but they have no sound and others just crash the xbox. Is there any way i can improve on-the-fly transcoding from the pc end? ive been in the advanced end of the transcoder options and changed several things but they didnt help

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Which plug in are you using for the xbox to get videos to play keith?
I need to try this as I have just set up a PMS on a Acer revo using Plex Rarflix sideloaded to a Now Tv box and it works great.
It would be great to have it working on the Xbox
Do the channels work like youtube etc?
:-)
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

@hawsey

im using the Xbmc4xbox Beta 3.5 compatible addon and it seems to be working away nicely. I havent done much testing with channels but i did check a few of the uk live tv channels thru the filmon channel and they seemed to work ok.

still having trouble with the higher quality files and transcoding on the fly but im testing various settings both on the pc end and with the actual settings on the xbox plugin. all of my other standard media for films and tv shows works great.

skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

First .

Thanks for all the kindly words.

The Channels works (Youtube,Vimeo and others have i tested)
But that is not the goal then we can this over own addons located on the xbox faster and better.

That what is nice its accessing the Plex Libary (without Files or Libary on the xbox located).
And what is the best (transcoding Movies on the fly to the remote Drive (xbox)
This mean You have the Files Located on Your Pc (Plex Mediaserver) on a format what the xbox can not play but Plex transcoding this Video on the fly and you can it watch then on the xbox.
This want a fast PC.
But i think this make the xbox usable without transcoding first the File to a Xbox compatible Format and put it then on the xbox. to can it watch on it.

I Found that is on future verry important.
For my situation i found a skin nice what only access the Plex Media (eg PlexMusic,PlexMovies,PlexFoto,PlexTVShows and Games and Emulators).
I think it where nice when we can this integrate on the xbmc4xbox Source developed on C++, so that it is verry fast.

But i think we follow only main xbmc for most it's that ok.
But for own Ways not.

Anyway i put my PlexMusic Addon here to have fun and Make than the same For Movies ,TVshows, Fotos.

Regards Jan
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

@skatulskijean

i agree that the channels work and that the main xbmc plugins would be faster that the channels however its good for addons which dont work(at least for me) like filmon

anyways im having problems with files which require transcoding not playing on the xbox? i used to convert files for xbox playback but was hoping this would remove the need for this. i also have a powerful pc so thats that issue covered.

Is there certain files which simply wont work? or could it be the settings in the plex server or on the xbox plugin? im only testing on 64mb xbox's as well which could possibly be one of the issues?

again thanks for this cant wait to see the next update!!!!

skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

The Plex server handling a Device over a Profile.
When for this device no profile exist he switch to the standard Profile.
I think we must add a profile what since compatile with the best playing videocodecs on the xbox (xbmc4xbox over the dvdplayer.
look here to write your own profile for the xbox(old xbox) or change the default profiles thats works for the xbox to.
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... a-devices/

on linux the differend profiles since located under user/lib/plexmediserver/Resources/Profiles/

I think the Plexmediaserver Looks firstt for the supported device , when the device its suported he can understand what the device can play or not.
With this information ,i think so do plex transcoding to the best format for this device ,so i think we must add aprofile for the used device(xbox,xbmc4xbox).

look here:

https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ding-Media

Regards Jan
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

ok jan great info here. i think eventually creating a profile everyone could use would be great. however until this happens ill try reading up on this and creating myself various profiles to test with.

skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

short Video Running my PlexMusic addon on mainxbmc.

Can it not record on a nice way when i it access on xbmc4xbox but you can here see we it looks on xbmc4xbox .
Viewmodes since not per default added and its npot complete finshed .

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWyBki-a5yM[/youtube]

Regards Jan
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Good stuff guys.

I had always assumed Plex was just the media server via UPnP. Adding it as a UPnP network source on the Xbox was all that needed to happen.

I see plexbmc plugin is intended to be capable off using more plex functions like the plugins. Good to know! I once tried to stream a recorded TV library to a Roku and eventually uninstalled Plex server from the client's HTPC (Their Roku collects dust since I set up XBMC).

I would love to be able to use my Xbox as an excuse to use Plex at my house. Transcoding HDTV recordings is a pretty nice solution for Xbox. A good service to offer to my clients/family, indeed!
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

fxmech wrote:Good stuff guys.

I had always assumed Plex was just the media server via UPnP. Adding it as a UPnP network source on the Xbox was all that needed to happen.

I see plexbmc plugin is intended to be capable off using more plex functions like the plugins. Good to know! I once tried to stream a recorded TV library to a Roku and eventually uninstalled Plex server from the client's HTPC (Their Roku collects dust since I set up XBMC).

I would love to be able to use my Xbox as an excuse to use Plex at my house. Transcoding HDTV recordings is a pretty nice solution for Xbox. A good service to offer to my clients/family, indeed!
Yes ,with the last nightly i can access the PlexMediaServer over UPNP.
Channels works to.
The differend to a addon as example is that i can search on my PlexMusic addon for Artist ,Album or Song on the Plexmediaserver and access all the Fanart and description to this option have i not over the upnp solution.
But yes its nice.

Regards Jan