New here, but not new to XBMC4Xbox...

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Kevin G.

New here, but not new to XBMC4Xbox...

Post by Kevin G. »

Hi guys,

I have been an "XBMC-er" for a while, but have never posted here.
I have had a soft-modded Xbox 1.4 for a few years. (My first...picked up the machine from a friend, and used the 007 exploit, with CASH and using Evo-X as my dash.) Stock HDD, and RAM.
It has never really worked correctly. I am constantly getting "script failed" errors, as well as the normal buffering issues.
For a while, early on, I had Navi-X scripts working "ok", but I had the issue where the movies timed out, and you would only get to stream the first half of a film.
I have updated XBMC several times, and am now on 3.3.3...still, nothing really "works". (other than the fact that I can play a DVD, but I could do that before I modded the machine.)
I have read, and read, and read some more...I have researched unto exhaustion. I gave up, and now just use it to play DVD's in my daughter's room.
Recently, I have been determined to get this going correctly... I have read a few decent post's, and this one by Heimdall intrigues me:
Heimdall wrote:If you want a completely clean system, here's what you do - but you have to be absolutely certain, because this will get rid of all apps, gamesaves, etc. from the hard drive.

Boot with HeXEn. the Xbox boots, the LED turns red, ~40 seconds later the menu appears. Select option 2.2.4. PAL Xbox, SC gamesave, or option 2.2.7. NTSC Xbox, SC gamesave, depending on where in the world you are. Follow the instructions, including removing the HeXEn DVD and rebooting. Confirm that the Xbox will now boot into the softmod normally.

So far your softmod is properly rebuilt, but your E partition still has all of your old apps, gamesaves etc., so now it's time to get rid of them.

Insert the HeXEn DVD again, and reboot. The Xbox boots, LED turns red, menu appears after ~40 seconds. Select option 8. Xbox Admin, then System - Format Menu - Format E Drive. Confirm that you want to proceed. Once that has finished (it only takes a couple of seconds), select option 2.2.4 or 2.2.7 again (whichever you picked previously), and follow the instructions as you did first time around. Once you have followed all of the instructions and rebooted, you have a completely clean Xbox with a new softmod.

Now for the final step. Reboot with HeXEn, and select option 4.1, install XBMC on E. Next, get hold of the latest XBMC, unzip it, and use FTP to delete XBMC from E:\Apps\XBMC\, then copy the new XBMC folder to E:\Apps\ (i.e. you should end up with E:\Apps\XBMC\, under which you will have 12 folders (from "credits" to "web"), plus 3 files (copying.txt, default.xbe and keymapping.txt)).

Congratulations, your Xbox is now back to a clean, vanilla state with XBMC as an application. If you want XBMC as your dashboard, make sure it works first, then select Xbox Admin - Switch Dashboards. The LED will turn red, UnleashX will restart, and you select Switch to XBMC on E. Once it's finished, reboot and you will have XBMC as your dash.
1. I have downloaded the disc, and it boots correctly.
2. I have successfully "re-modded" my machine...(more than a few times...)
3. I can FTP in to the machine successfully.
4. I have done the XBMC install to E:...except I can not boot to XBMC from the initial Unleash-X dash...I have to go in to Xbox Admin/Applications/XBMC, which seems to be counter productive.
5. After the last "re-install" I have noted that my earlier install of XBMC (3.3.3) is still there, and have concluded that I may need to format E: to get back to square one, as it were...
6. In the Format options, I am getting an "Enter Password" directive...(a password I do not have)

So this leads me to today:
1. Is there a working password? (google and local search has not produced one.)
2. Do I need to format E: per Heimdall's post?
3. How in the hell do I get everything to play nice? (Maybe a different thread)

I appreciate any and all assistance, in advance. As with all of the forums I frequent, everyone here seems to be very helpful, and knowledgeable.
Thanks All...
hawsey

Re: New here, but not new to XBMC4Xbox...

Post by hawsey »

Hi Kevin. Passcode AYBX :-) sorry new myself so no good for other help....
sahib12

Post by sahib12 »

Ah i don't think you needed to redo the softmod at all. I don't think it has any difference xbmc at all (i may be wrong). How do you mean nothing works? If you want to be on the latest version, go on xbmc, go to programmes, plugins, addons4xbox, get addons, xbmc4xbox repo, and go to programme addons, from there install xbmc4xbox installer, and download that. Once its done, go onto it by going to programmes and run it, then you should find 3.5 beta 2 on that list, download it and when it asks you to copy previous data over you can if you want to but you dont have to. Once that is done it should ask you if you want to run it, run it and if you wish you can delete the old xbmc 3.3.3 throuh file manager. Now you will have the newest xbmc version where a lot of things work. From there you can go onto programmes, programmes plugins, addons4xbox , get addons, xbmc4xbox addons and install video addons from there, the only working video addons i know of are iplayer, ustvnow, youtube and [removed] (if you are anywhere but the uk). Some of those addns in the repo work but some dont, to find other working ones just look around this forum for .zip files and you can look on google too. Once you've got a zip file you should ftp it to your xbox, then go to programmes, plugins, addons4xbox,install from zip and locate the zip file. It should then install nicely. Here are some good addons you might like that work really well. Credeit goes to jan for the addons

Tvshows: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=2402
Movies: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=2265
Live tvshow.streams: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=2448

Hope this helps, you still can format things if you want but there is seriously no need.
Kevin G.

Post by Kevin G. »

hawsey wrote:Hi Kevin. Passcode AYBX :-) sorry new myself so no good for other help....
Nope...not for this spot. This is not one of the areas for button presses, it's a true password. I actually found it online after searching all day. It is Xbox (capital "X"...I tried "xbox" but apparently case sensitive.) I wrote it on the disc. Thank you anyway...yours worked for the other areas.

sahib12 wrote:Ah i don't think you needed to redo the softmod at all. I don't think it has any difference xbmc at all (i may be wrong). How do you mean nothing works? If you want to be on the latest version, go on xbmc, go to programmes, plugins, addons4xbox, get addons, xbmc4xbox repo, and go to programme addons, from there install xbmc4xbox installer, and download that. Once its done, go onto it by going to programmes and run it, then you should find 3.5 beta 2 on that list, download it and when it asks you to copy previous data over you can if you want to but you dont have to. Once that is done it should ask you if you want to run it, run it and if you wish you can delete the old xbmc 3.3.3 throuh file manager. Now you will have the newest xbmc version where a lot of things work. From there you can go onto programmes, programmes plugins, addons4xbox , get addons, xbmc4xbox addons and install video addons from there, the only working video addons i know of are iplayer, ustvnow, youtube and [removed] (if you are anywhere but the uk). Some of those addns in the repo work but some dont, to find other working ones just look around this forum for .zip files and you can look on google too. Once you've got a zip file you should ftp it to your xbox, then go to programmes, plugins, addons4xbox,install from zip and locate the zip file. It should then install nicely. Here are some good addons you might like that work really well. Credeit goes to jan for the addons

Tvshows: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=2402
Movies: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=2265
Live tvshow.streams: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=2448

Hope this helps, you still can format things if you want but there is seriously no need.
Thank You Sahib. The original build was from xbmc.org before the split, as well as an aged version of EVO-X (with the gears on the dash), Then added XBMC4XBOX's 3.1, and so on, until 3.3.3...so who knows how many things were messed up from the original configuration.
I was able to wipe "E:" and decided to do "F:" as well...anyway, and re-do everything. Now able to load XBMC as the dash...(which is what I've always wanted.)
I am a little nervous about the beta, and think I may let others be the R&D for that.
Stuff still doesn't work....
Navi-X
Free cable TV
Tune In

I will try to download some of those that you have linked to. Thanks for the assist.
sahib12

Post by sahib12 »

Thats fair enough if you want to skip 3.5 beta 2 but it does have a lot more compatability (it has python 2.7 :D). Two of those plugins dont work for me either, some addons on that repo are not being maintained therefore there are still some broken addons on there :( btw for navi x you should go to script addons, amd download navi x from there, then when you open it (from scripts) it will say error cannot open file, click ok and go right (or left) on the dpad and go to set playlist as home, this should fix it.
Kevin G.

Post by Kevin G. »

sahib12 wrote:Thats fair enough if you want to skip 3.5 beta 2 but it does have a lot more compatability (it has python 2.7 :D). Two of those plugins dont work for me either, some addons on that repo are not being maintained therefore there are still some broken addons on there :( btw for navi x you should go to script addons, amd download navi x from there, then when you open it (from scripts) it will say error cannot open file, click ok and go right (or left) on the dpad and go to set playlist as home, this should fix it.

Ok...Thanks for the heads-up on the 3.5.
Navi-X is the latest build, but still does not work. I do get the "cannot open file" error, then I can get in to the menu...but do not have an option to "set playlist as home". (Right on the d-pad gives "add to favorites" and other opptions. Left gives the "home" button, exit, sign in...etc)
The original Navi X site is not reachable, but it appears to be part of XBMCHUB?
I do not have ustvnow in the repo, nor [removed]...
I see iplayer, but I read that it is uk shows?

I have added a custom backdrop, in Confluence Lite, which I like better than the bubbles, but I do not see a way to change the backdrop for each section (Video, Music, Photos...etc...) It stays there the whole time. I have worked with Aeon, which is similar in appearance, and was able to customize each subgroup. I do not see this option here. Any help?
I do have XBMC up and running nicely, other than the streaming.
My server is seen, and I can play music and picture files. I do have a problem, as the server has a login to access via my network. I add the path and, for the immediate session, the server is ok with streaming files. If I back out, or shut down the Xbox...I have to login again, to the server, to access my media. Is it not recognized as a trusted device. It's pretty convoluted to have to login, and password with a controller, or remote upon each setting.
Standard MS smb share over GB network, WHS 2011 (serving PLEX, with another server pushing MB3, and Serviio)
sahib12

Post by sahib12 »

Sorry it was dpad right, more options and set playlist as home, the reason why navi x is not working is because the navi x servers ar. Down so it doesnt work for anybody right now, it will be back up soon, just keep trying, you should still set playlisy as home though cause otherwise it wont work. Hmm i belive you might be in the wrong repo , how.did you get to the repo? And yeah iplayer only is uk shows and only works in uk. Im not really sure about the login issue though, maybe make a new thread and see if someone can help you with that. Did you try those other two addons? They are really good for tv shows and movies