XBMC Removal Problems

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
RedRoseSpeedway

XBMC Removal Problems

Post by RedRoseSpeedway »

Hey everybody,

First off, though I'm pretty tech-literate, I am a clueless noobie when it comes to XBMC, xbox modding, etc. After some research, I have a general idea of how things work, but I have never personally modded an xbox or even knew what XBMC was until a couple of weeks ago. (I've always been a PS2 guy)

I just recently received an XBOX that was bought from a thriftstore, and I concluded now that it appears to have been modded. I didn't have any games to play on it, so I plugged in a DVD. This is when I was introduced to XMBC which automatically opened. Unaware that I needed a remote + sensor to play DVD's, I took the re-appearing "Busy please wait" notification popup as the XBOX having trouble reading DVD's. My theory gained confidence when I than put in an audio CD and, upon automatic load on XBMC, what did end up playing both made XBMC stutter-freeze and uncontrollable with the controller.

Knowing something was wrong, I went into the XBOX Dashboard settings and deleted absolutely everything that was saved (including xbmc) and reset the settings, thinking it would solve the problem. This is where my current problems started:

*Even though XBMC was among the saved I deleted, every time I restart the XBOX, it is there again.When I turn on the XBOX using the power button, the XBOX startup/logo screen appears, followed by a brief "XBMC" logo flash, than it just hangs forever on a black screen. I have to turn the XBOX on using the eject button for my XBOX dashboard to properly show up.

*Putting in an audio CD now works through the XBOX dash, but whenever I put in a DVD, it still loads through XBMC, which means the brief logo flash followed by a hanging black screen. No matter how many times I've deleted it, XBMC keeps trying to automatically load, and as a result, I cannot watch DVD's on my xbox. This also goes for burned ISO DVD's as I have tried to install a burned copy of XBMC to replace the fragmented version that is stuck on it currently.

Another problem I'm unsure if it's related, it also came with an mp3 somebody ripped onto the hard drive. I keep trying to delete that, but it reappears as well. Whenever I try to rip a song from a CD of my own onto the XBOX hard drive, it won't allow me, saying I have reached capacity.

I realize my problems may be bigger than an XBMC issue, but I do recognize XBMC as being at least part of the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly
destronger

Re: XBMC Removal Problems

Post by destronger »

i recommend doing a reformat of the drive. getting a Xbox from thrift shop. it was most likely wasn't taken care of.

couple questions below to help you further:
do you know the drive size? you say you've already used up space quickly, is it the original drive or a bigger drive. the original xbox drive is a little under 10g. is a soft or hard mod? soft mod is an exploit which can alter which dash and add the ability to play emus. if a hard mod then the system would have a modchip (the best of all) which bypasses the original EEPROM. another hard mod is the TSOP. this involves soldering areas on the mobo and inserting new bios into the existing EEPROM. when your xbox loads does it say Microsoft under the Xbox logo? chances are if it doesn't then it's a softmod. If that's not the case your chance of a softmod is likely higher. all in all you may just need to reformat the existing drive.

Off the top of my head I can't remember the name of the various disks that you could use.

oh, and you don't need the remote to play a DVD in xbmc on Xbox. just find the right file and it'll play. but remember that the Xbox is old tech. some newer dvd's may not work.
+ T +: Every time you mention Midway games in Final Burn, iq_132 kills a kitten!
ImageImage
RedRoseSpeedway

Hey destronger, thanks for the reply.

I cannot play a burned disc. I have both experienced an xbox message telling me it couldn't read the iso I burned, and experienced the xbox recognizing/trying to play the iso, but have it run into the XBMC logo flash/back screen hang upon automatic load.

I am unsure how to go about reformatting an XBOX HDD, but I'll definitely do some research on it, so thanks for the suggestion. It says it has 50000+ blocks of memory on it, which is more than enough to copy a single song from CD I'm assuming..but every single time I try it tells me I have reached the number of tracks allowed (the only thing besides the fragmented XBMC saved on it is a single audio track, so that is impossible).

I am assuming the mod is via modchip, since it is the original dash shown and it does say Microsoft under the xbox logo on startup. I say 'assuming' because I have yet to actually physically take apart the xbox and play with it in fear I might destroy it, not having a ton of knowledge about it.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

RedRoseSpeedway wrote:I am assuming the mod is via modchip, since it is the original dash shown and it does say Microsoft under the xbox logo on startup.
That's a poor assumption. A stock Logo and flubber makes it far more likely to be a softmod.

Until you know for certain how the Xbox is modded you should stop deleting things from the Xbox, and you should certainly park any ideas you may have about reformatting the hard drive.

Grab a copy of HeXEn (a quick Google for "Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc" will help), and burn the iso to DVD-R at 4x or slower using image burning software - DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 definitely works, but it's by no means the only one. DVD-R is the only type of disc the Xbox will read reliably, so don't be tempted to try a DVD-RW or a CD-R. Once you have it burned, and your Xbox will cold boot with HeXEn in the drive tray (the LED will turn red, then it will take about 40 seconds for the menu to appear), post back and we can talk you through using the boot disc to help identify the mod type, and get your Xbox back to a working state. Please, don't be tempted to use any of the HeXEn options until you know for certain how your Xbox is modded.
RedRoseSpeedway

That assumption was based on destronger's original reply telling me if it had the Microsoft logo, it probably has a modchip.

And as I stated in my original post, I already long since deleted everything from my XBOX, so to say I stopped would be an understatement.

But it sounds like you are also saying that if it's not modded, the format won't work? I assumed just by the fact it has XBMC on there to begin with, and saved blocks such as a SNES Emulator, that it was in fact modded. Another reminder, I'm a complete noobie to XBOX in general, so to me I'm learning as I go.

Okay great! I'll try your solution Heimdall, thanks for the reply!
RedRoseSpeedway

Well Heimdall, I followed your instructions to a tee, but once I put in the disc containing HeXEn, the XBOX treated the disc just like it treated all of the others. A quick XBMC logo flash than it just hangs on a black screen. Every single time, with every single iso or DVD.

I'm afraid any solution that requires popping an .iso burned disc into the xbox just won't work, as that is part of the problem itself.

That reformatting option destronger suggested seems pretty tempting at this point. For whatever strange reason, XBMC doesn't want to let go of my XBOX, resulting in a fragmented headache.

Can anyone confirm whether or not reformatting would work, or if there would be any repercussions? I have nothing to lose at this point.
destronger

Post by destronger »

@redeosespeedway: you misread my post. if it has Microsoft under the Xbox logo, then chances are higher it is a softmod.

majority of hard mods alter the Microsoft logo in some way. mine for example is not there. my hard mod xboxes only show the 'X' and 'XBOX'. I set them up that way due to preference.

heimdell knows what he's talking about. he's very respected amongst the Xbox community.

xbmc is your default dash. it's loading to where it's directed.

have you put a actual Xbox game into the Xbox? what does it do? if not, is there a retro type game store near you that you can try a actual Xbox game.

@heimdell: the reason I mentioned the whole reformatting is because,

1) at a thrift shop. we've all been to second hand stores. not exactly handle with care written on things.

2) when he mentioned the hanging of load time.

then again, redrosespeedway could have just started deleting things assuming he knew what he was doing.
+ T +: Every time you mention Midway games in Final Burn, iq_132 kills a kitten!
ImageImage
RedRoseSpeedway

My apologies destronger, I did misread your post.

I don't doubt Heimdall is respected and knows what he's talking about, I gathered that when the HeXEn installer had his name on it. That being said, his solution unfortunately just didn't work, but I definitely thank him for trying, and if he has any other solutions I am all ears.

I did finally put a couple of xbox games in last night, and they work perfectly fine, they also both save perfect, so it tells me the problem definitely must be restricted to DVD's./the XBMC issue.
RedRoseSpeedway

destronger wrote:@redeosespeedway: then again, redrosespeedway could have just started deleting things assuming he knew what he was doing.
Completely true. Usually when a clean sweep/reset is done to anything, it should be just that. Instead, I now have a broken XBMC that wants to automatically load and hang on a black screen every time I turn on the BOX using the power button or insert a DVD.

Keep in mind though that before I deleted or reset anything, XBMC was already having problems. Whenever I inserted an actual (not burned) audio CD, XBMC would freeze up, stutter, jumble the track listing and become uncontrollable whilst having the "Busy Please Wait" pop-up reappearing when it was playing. So removing & resetting everything just seemed like the logical thing to do.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

Can you play a genuine game disc? It sounds as though your DVD drive might be flaky (or it might just need cleaning), but a genuine game disc will help work that out i.e. if it plays then the DVD drive is probably OK.

How did you burn HeXEn? More specifically, can you read the DVD in your PC? If you can then you haven't burned it properly!

Unfortunately I'm off on holiday now for a fortnight, but I'm sure destronger and others will help you get your Xbox sorted! :)
RedRoseSpeedway

Yes, I am able to play games and save them perfectly fine, and the HeXEn boots on my PC great--I burned it correctly.

It seems to be specific to XBMC as it tries to load every time I put in a DVD, but because it's partially deleted, just hangs on a black screen after the logo flash. If I could just get XBMC completely off somehow, I'm confident the DVD's will play perfectly

Thanks for your help Heimdall, have fun!

Can anyone else confirm or deny if a reformat of the XBOX HDD could work in restoring the XBOX to it's former glory?
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

If HeXEn boots on your PC then it ISN'T burned properly! Your PC can't read properly burned Xbox discs. What can you see when you put it in your PC? If you can see anything at all then you need to burn a new DVD-R using an image burner, like DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0.

Reformatting will only work AFTER you're sure how your Xbox is modded. Reformatting a softmodded Xbox removes the softmod. You really don't want to do that, because it sounds as though your Xbox is softmodded.

Try pressing white + Y while XBMC is starting. Does that give you the FTP console? If so then you can use that to see what is on your Xbox hard drive.
RedRoseSpeedway

My mistake--by 'booting on my pc' I meant it recognizes it as an XBOX ISO, not that it actually boots on my PC. Should have chosen better wording there, my apologies.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

It shouldn't recognise it at all. On my Windows 7 machine, when I try to open the HeXEn DVD it says "D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." If yours says anything different then your DVD isn't burned properly. Sorry to keep labouring the point, but once you have a working boot disc you are a potentially only a few button presses away from repairing your Xbox and getting XBMC up and running, so it's worth persevering!
RedRoseSpeedway

When i put the disc into my windows vista, it recognizes there is a DVD in the drive, but it doesn't list any files in the folder.
If It shouldn't be like that, I'm not sure what to tell you, since I know I followed the directions to a tee, even using the same DVD Decryper program, burning at 4x speed..everything.

Pressing white + Y also does nothing. Just the usual, quick XBMC logo flash than a hanging black screen, like it's trying to load an XBMC that isn't there.

No worries, my apologies for making things difficult on my end. Not exactly sure what my next step should be,
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

No need to apologise, you definitely aren't making things difficult - quite the reverse. :)

I'm not sure what to suggest next... You either need a working boot disc, or you need FTP access, or you have to hotswap the hard drive (boot the Xbox then connect the hard drive to the IDE port on a PC at exactly the right moment - fraught with potential problems.)
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

I'm not doubting you, but just to be absolutely clear before I head off to the airport:

Fire up DVD Decrypter
Select Mode - ISO - Write
Under "Source", where it says "please select a file", click on the Explorer folder icon, and select the HeXEn iso.
Set the write speed to 4x in the lower right pane
Insert a blank DVD-R
Click on the DVD icon to write the image file to the DVD

I'm sure that's what you are doing, but I'd hate to think that you were only one minor setting away from getting this sorted, and it's better to check than to leave any doubt. :)
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

You could also try pressing and holding white + Y all the way through the Xbox boot sequence until the XBMC logo has appeared and gone, just to be certain...... :0
RedRoseSpeedway

Check, check & check! Your instructions were spot on with what I did, but still no dice unfortunately.

I also held onto the white + Y from startup just to be sure, still comes up empty.

I will definitely follow up on the other possible solutions you have mentioned, so thanks for that, and once again thanks for the help!

Have a safe trip Heimdall! All the best for now :)
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

I have two final suggestions for you. Xbox DVD drives are fully interchangeable, regardless of the make of DVD drive or the model of the Xbox. If you have access to another Xbox with a known working DVD drive, temporarily swap the DVD drive over and try booting with HeXEn.

You could also try another brand of DVD-R. I've never yet found a brand that didn't work, but you may have been unlucky, or you may just have a bad batch (or at the very least a batch that the rather picky Xbox DVD drive doesn't like!).