xbmc for xbox wont play my mp4 videos

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
eagledust23

xbmc for xbox wont play my mp4 videos

Post by eagledust23 »

my xbmc for xbox will not play mp4 files and i cant figure out why. my xbmc version is 3.3.3 i have a bata version 3.5 bata 2. ive looked up on how to make it play them and cant figure it out. it play the sound ok but the mplayer or dvdplayer wont show the video and when it does show the video its slow or frezzes sometimes. is there a new media player for the xbox that would play the mp4s or is there something that i need to do to xbmc so it will play them please le me know. ps i moded the xbox my self with out a game and replaced the unleashx dash with xbmc using ftp software.
bigkidoz

Re: xbmc for xbox wont play my mp4 videos

Post by bigkidoz »

Mine plays mp4's just fine but not if they are a 720P HD rip, no xbox will play those.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
eagledust23

Post by eagledust23 »

what type of mp4 do u use cause ive tryed the 1080p and 720p and neither work how do i get ride of the 720p or the 1080p thing and converte it to an mp4 that it will read.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
eagledust23

Post by eagledust23 »

i cant figure out that program u gave me and i still cant figure out how to get it to play mp4s that are 720 or 1080pthe sounds fine its the video that isnt working right and idk how to change the file from a 720p to somthing the xbmc will play.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

eagledust23 wrote:i cant figure out that program u gave me and i still cant figure out how to get it to play mp4s that are 720 or 1080p
The XBOX cannot play high bit rate or high resolution H.264 (x264) encoded video, it simply does not have the processing power to decode.
.mp4 files typically contain H.264 encoded video, so you will not be able to play them on XBOX at resolutions much above DVD grade (720x480, AKA 480p).
If you want to play 720p the only video coding scheme to reliably work is H.263 (DIVX/XVID) and you typically (but not always) find that in .avi file containers.

Caveat emptor, YMMV.
eagledust23

Post by eagledust23 »

ok how do i change the resolutions of an mp4 to one the xbox will play cause ive got them to play on surtain ones but the movie ones i download dont work just the sound does.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

please start by posting a debug log

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=65

which will give more specific information regarding the files you are trying to play, and why they don't. we can then advise on options (such as transcoding etc)
tx3000

Post by tx3000 »

I do not care about reviving an old thread because people on this forum should not be saying XBOX doesn't play H.264, while in the same exact sentence saying use MP4.
Regardless of the codec used, MP4 formatting is still in H.264 format. I can't get any .mp4 to work. So mp4's are horrible for the original XBOX regardless.

You cannot use WMV to retain any form of quality. the format must either be .avi or .mov with the xvid codec.