Playback Issues On Different Xbox's

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
shady7

Playback Issues On Different Xbox's

Post by shady7 »

Hi everyone, have 2 Xbox's one is v1.4 and the other is v1.6. Now when playing a 1280x720.avi movie on the v1.6 using dvd player it runs fine cpu running about 70-90% but playing the exact same movie on v1.4 and cpu ups to 100% straight away causing dropped frames. Both Xbox's are hard modded and running xbmc 3.3.3, I have tried playing around with settings with no luck. The only way to play 1280.avi movie is using mplayer on v1.4 xbox. Has anyone else have this issue. Thanks in advance
spicemuseum

Re: Playback Issues On Different Xbox's

Post by spicemuseum »

I reported a similar finding on the previous forum. I have one specific softmodded v1.6 which seems to outperform all my other boxes on HD playback. It can manage a low bit rate 720p rip of a feature film encoded H.264 / AAC / Matroska (the sort that comes out at about 600~700MB) with minimal frame drop. It has had no hardware modifications.
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

Just to be certain, have you tried swapping hard disks between the v1.4 and v1.6?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

nayparm wrote:Just to be certain, have you tried swapping hard disks between the v1.4 and v1.6?
Who, me or Shady?
My box is softmodded and has never been opened - it's got a standard Seagate in it.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Apparently Xbox 1.6 has a different video chip (Xcalibur?), although somehow I would expect the performance from either the CPU or the memory bus (chipset) or maybe memory itself (?), I didn't think the video decoding uses much of the GPU, or maybe I'm wrong...

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 52&t=42971
http://www.capn13.net/it/xbox/

We could probably write a small .XBE to do some CPU / memory benchmarking, and that will prove it for definite, XBMC4Xbox aside.
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

Sorry Spicemuseum, that was aimed at Shady7
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Thanks guys for the replies I see v1.4 video encoder is focus and v1.6 is xcalibur. Do you think hard drives have something to do with it v1.4 is 1tb and v1.6 is 320gb. Any other settings I can play around with? Thanks for your time
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

The video encoder chip is unlikely to have anything to do with this - it won't affect CPU loading. You can try swapping the hard drives (presumably your 1TB is SATA with an adaptor) - of course that's only likely to have meaningful impact if you're trying to play video off the hard drive.
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Thanks spice I think I will just let it be and use mplayer for playback of 1280xXXX it is not as good quality as dvd player