Music Thumb nail renaming(.tbn)

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
sealeysonic

Music Thumb nail renaming(.tbn)

Post by sealeysonic »

Just a quick question....do you all Change the names of your MP3 album covers/CD covers one by one.....eg:- cd1.jpg to cd1.tbn.......Front.jpg to Album name.tbn

The reason i ask is all my music comes with CD cover Jpeg`s etc and i have to rename them form .jpeg to .tbn file extension so they show up right.
sealeysonic

Re: Music Thumb nail renaming(.tbn)

Post by sealeysonic »

BTTT.....some one must know how to do it better...?
denimjeans

Post by denimjeans »

I think I might be able to help you on this one sealeysonic as I have recently been manually adding new pics and album art to my media. It is a time consuming process indeed but its cool to add custom pics to your library that a scraper may not pick up.

I had first started out by renaming album art from .jpg or .png to insertalbumname.tbn as you talk about. I soon realized that once the file extenstion was .tbn I could no longer preview the art on my computer, so I began to end up with a bunch of pictures specifically named, and a file extension that I would most likely only open with xbmc. After some searching on the wiki I discovered that you can add custom thumbnails to folders. All you have to do is rename your album art to "folder.jpg", and place it in your album folder. The nice thing about this is that once you are in the album folder, the album art, or "folder.jpg", also shows up as you hover over each music file. So, I began to restructure my music and for an example here is how I now have my music folder system setup:

NAS:\MUSIC\#123 & A-Z\Artist\Album\song.mp3

Inside each Artist folder I have placed a picture "folder.jpg" of the artist, and inside each Album folder I have placed a picture "folder.jpg" of the album cover or album art. Now when I navigate the folders in xbmc4xbox I get a thumbnail of the artist when I hover over the artist folder, and thumbnail of the album cover whenever I hover over the album folder. Then once I am in the album folder, as I hover over each song, the thumbnail of the album cover is displayed.

As I said before the process is VERY time consuming, and I am sure the same kind of result could be achieved with the library mode enabled, but then again I have come across some cool artwork for my music that I may not have found with a standard media scraper. Hope this helps.
1. xbox v1.6/softmod/WD 160HDD/XBMC4XBOX-3.3.3-STABLE/Confluence Light/M$ HD AV Pack
2. xbox v1.6/softmod/WD 80HDD/XBMC4XBOX-3.3.3-STABLE/Confluence Light/80mm Fan Mod
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

That's actually very nicely explained, thanks for that.

Btw, you can preview .tbns on Windows, see this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81319
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

I thought that everybody put folder.jpg in all music and video folders.... I must admit I was struggling to understand why sealeysonic was having the problem described, because mine just works - but now I reread the post, see no mention of folder.jpg, and I understand why. :)
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

ahh ok i will give this a try..thanks Guys :D