Clock keeps reverting back to factory setting

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Ash123

Clock keeps reverting back to factory setting

Post by Ash123 »

Whenever I start the XBOX the clock goes back to 12:00 Jan 5th 2004. I've set the clock in XBMC. As long as I don't turn power off at the wall it will keep the current clock but once the power has been switched off it will go back to Jan 5th 2004 next time I turn it back on. I've gone into the m$ dash and set the date/time there but the same thing happens. I know it must go back to the m$ dash clock so why doesn't it keep the current clock? It's always been like this ever since I've bought this XBOX (Crystal v1.6) back in 2004. I've just ignored it in the past but now that I've switched to the Confluence skin it's become very noticeable and very annoying.
fxmech

Re: Clock keeps reverting back to factory setting

Post by fxmech »

As far as I know there isn't a way to get the time to stick when you remove the power cord.

Maybe there's a way to put a battery in it or something, like a PC's CMOS battery.
nidge

Post by nidge »

Isn't there an option in XBMC to set the time from the internet at boot?
http://www.theoriginalxboxshoppe.weebly.com
http://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/Computers-and-Consoles

Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 500gb sata hard disk, 1ghz CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p, blue LED's.
Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 320gb sata hard disk, stock CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

It has "always been like this" because the Xbox doesn't have a battery-backed clock like your PC. It has a capacitor that holds enough charge to keep the clock running for a couple of hours once the mains has been disconnected, but on an old Xbox that may by now have failed.

The only way to solve this is to have your Xbox connected to the Internet, so that it can automatically retrieve the correct time from the Internet when it boots.
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Thanks for the quick reply ( I like this forum ;) . Unfortunately I don't have it connected to the net. You'd think for the price of a lithium battery an XBOX would support such a function. It couldn't have been that expensive to have one seated on the motherboard.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

As with all games consoles, the hardware sells at a loss, and the actual profit is in the games and on-line services. On that basis, every penny they can save is a penny less in loss! Also, it's not just the price of the battery, it's the circuitry around it to manage the charging. Further, adding a battery means that there is now something with a relatively short life in the Xbox that then needs to be replaced, which completely changes the support model, and drives up costs even further. :)
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

I just wanted to add that it's actually advised to remove the clock capacitor because it will eventually start leaking if it hasn't already started doing so. If your clock doesn't hold the time for at least a few hours once it's been disconnected from power, then it's a sign that the capacitor has failed.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Can you just snip the cap out? Sorry being lazy here :$
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

hawsey wrote:Can you just snip the cap out? Sorry being lazy here :$

yep that's what I do, just squeeze a pair of snips under. I did once manage to cause the cap to leak by squeezing snips underneath but it beats taking out the mobo and desoldering!
Mord_Lustang

Post by Mord_Lustang »

I just boot up UnleashX which allows you to manually change the clock (System > Settings > Date & Time). It will still keep that time when you go back into XBMC, obviously.