Using scraper with rared movies?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
dacore84

Using scraper with rared movies?

Post by dacore84 »

Hey guys.

For all the years I´ve always used the "list" view since I thought it was more complex.
But when looking at newer versions of XBMC and screenshots it looks pretty nice with covers/thumbnails for all movies.
Updated to both 3.3.3. and 3.5b but I can´t get it to work.
Tried alot of different scrapers in the settings but it scans and then nothing.
I´m streaming everything from my computer. So no movies are on the actual XBOX. They are all in .rar-format and release name folder.
So what can I do? I tried to read the threads but can´t figure it out. Is it a problem with the scraper function?
Or is it a problem that my movies are rared? I reallty don´t want to "unrar" every movie just to get a cover =/

Thanks guys!
Dan Dar3

Re: Using scraper with rared movies?

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@dacore84
I don't know whether your problem is specific to your movies being .rar(ed) (??) - which should be easy to test, uncompress one of the movies and see if that one scans correctly, as opposed to the other compressed ones.

I believe TMBD scraper was fixed in 3.3.3 so maybe try with that (http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/2013/10/xbm ... -released/).

You also mention they are in their own folder named correctly, in the Set Content dialog you can try checking the box that says something like "use folder name for lookup" instead of the name of the movie file.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Set_co ... g_Contents

Probably best solution though, as you mention you have your movies on your PC, is to use a media manager for XBMC like:

* http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Su ... y_managers
* Ember Media Manager
* Media Companion

which allow you to scrape and download all that information next to your movie file, making the scraping even faster from the XBMC4Xbox (especially if you are going at some point to install a "clean" copy and re-scrape your content).
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Ultimately, if you want to pursue this further, you need to produce a debug log to show the scraping in action (one movie is fine, doesn't have to be all of them - as in "right-click" a movie, "Movie Information" > "Refresh").

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=65
dacore84

Post by dacore84 »

Thank you very much. I will check into this suggestions. Take care man.
Spongy

Post by Spongy »

I just want to add, if each movie is in it's own folder you must select "scan recursively" in the set content dialog.
dacore84

Post by dacore84 »

Spongy wrote:I just want to add, if each movie is in it's own folder you must select "scan recursively" in the set content dialog.
Thanks for that!

What "view" should I use? I guess "thumbnail"? I think there was a "DVD" view or similar also..
spinnersp

Post by spinnersp »

also,when streaming, I believe you can only scrape if your using a SMB share and not upnp
dacore84

Post by dacore84 »

spinnersp wrote:also,when streaming, I believe you can only scrape if your using a SMB share and not upnp
Yeah I use SMB. But thanks for the tip! Tried to unrar one movie to a single folder and named it after the IMDB title and year (i.e. "Gladiator 2000"). Still no luck. Just the boring standard icon. But I will try some more. Thanks for all help!

Also.. Let say I got all the movies in a folder called "movies" (I´m Swedish so it´s easier if we go with the english words).
I then assume I should use the "set content" on that "movies" folder? And then all the folders/movies within that folder would be affected by the settings made?

Sorry for bad english. I hope you understand.. =/
spinnersp

Post by spinnersp »

dacore84 wrote:
spinnersp wrote:also,when streaming, I believe you can only scrape if your using a SMB share and not upnp

Also.. Let say I got all the movies in a folder called "movies" (I´m Swedish so it´s easier if we go with the english words).
I then assume I should use the "set content" on that "movies" folder? And then all the folders/movies within that folder would be affected by the settings made?
Yes I think thats how it works. Also make sure date and time are right on XBMC, Also look at DanDar3 first post, there is a scraper called Media Companion that will keep movie info,artwork with the movie file and it will scape way faster.
dacore84

Post by dacore84 »

spinnersp wrote:
dacore84 wrote:

Yes I think thats how it works. Also make sure date and time are right on XBMC, Also look at DanDar3 first post, there is a scraper called Media Companion that will keep movie info,artwork with the movie file and it will scape way faster.
I´ve got everything to work except for movies with two cds. For some reason those movies got no cover on the "main folder" but instead they got the correct movie cover on cd1 thats inside the "main folder". I checked all settings on XBMC but I can´t seem to find an option where I can change cover myself. Isn´t it possible to copy the cover image from cd1 and use in on the main folder (that contains the cd1 folder)?

Also I tried Media Companion but it downloaded a shit load of covers that didn´t belong to my collection. For example. I got some folders starting with: "[SS]" for swesub. Then it downloaded some old Hitler movie called "Waffen SS: Hitler's Elite Fighting Force (1990)" :P
Also almost every movie got a folder called "subs". Then it downloaded a cover for the movie "Subs". But I understand it´s hard to come around since it goes for all the folder names. It will require some manual editing before working correctly. But it was a really cool application so I will try it out a bit more since it was like you sad a hell of a lot faster.

When I got it to work on the Xbox I actually used the IMDB scraper. Should that be working? I read in other threads that the IMDB scraper shouldn´t work atm.

Thanks again guys for all the tips!
spinnersp

Post by spinnersp »

If you select "Stack" that should hide the second cd, but allow it to play as one. Ya media companion did that to me as well, but it is easy(maybe a little time consuming) to fix but once its all set up properly its easy to scan to XBMC library. I have 4 xboxs so this is the way to go. I have my media ,"Movies,Kid Movies,Tv Shows" etc so I can scan only what I want on each Xbox. So for the kids I only scan Kid Movies and certain Tv Shows,so they don't get any adult content.
dacore84

Post by dacore84 »

spinnersp wrote:If you select "Stack" that should hide the second cd, but allow it to play as one. Ya media companion did that to me as well, but it is easy(maybe a little time consuming) to fix but once its all set up properly its easy to scan to XBMC library. I have 4 xboxs so this is the way to go. I have my media ,"Movies,Kid Movies,Tv Shows" etc so I can scan only what I want on each Xbox. So for the kids I only scan Kid Movies and certain Tv Shows,so they don't get any adult content.
Yeah, didn´t think about that. Thanks will try that also!

I found a temporary workaround. I manually downloaded each cover from IMDB (or other pages) and named each cover to the exact movie folder name with the extension .tbn.
Then I put all those cover/thumbnail files in the "movie" folder where all the movies folders are placed. Worked like a charm. Or at least kind of..
The movies that had already scraped IMDB and found a cover (which I for different reasons (wrong movie, screenshots from movie) didn't like) wasn´t able to show the new manually added cover.
The solution was to add a symbol or similar at the end of that movies folder. Like "Gladiator 2000-" instead of "Gladiator 2000". Of course I did the same with the .tbm file.

So my "Movies"-folder would include:
"[SS]Gladiator_2000-" (folder) which includes two subfolders called cd1 and cd2 (I use SS for SweSub, ES for EngSub and so on..)
and:
"[SS]Gladiator_2000-.tbn"

A fresh scan showed the new manually added covers perfectly. So right now I got covers for all movies even though they I got strange folder names, movies are .rar(ed) and some got 2 cds.

Does anyone know where scraped info are stored? So I can delete some unused stuff...
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Settings > Videos > Clean library
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Settin ... os#Library

The system creates a unique id from the path to media file (movie, tv episode, song, album etc) - what you found is that if you alter the path in any way, it will break the link with what it has in the library. So yes, cleaning is a good idea after doing a lot of these.

Although if you want to do that per entry, I believe an easier way is you can choose Information from the contextual menu and I believe you can choose Refresh and that might do it, instead of renaming the file/folder.
Or alternatively as you did, add some marker or move away outside of the scanned folders the entries you want to "remove", clean library, then add back and scan / update library.
dacore84

Post by dacore84 »

Dan Dar3 wrote:Settings > Videos > Clean library
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Settin ... os#Library

The system creates a unique id from the path to media file (movie, tv episode, song, album etc) - what you found is that if you alter the path in any way, it will break the link with what it has in the library. So yes, cleaning is a good idea after doing a lot of these.

Although if you want to do that per entry, I believe an easier way is you can choose Information from the contextual menu and I believe you can choose Refresh and that might do it, instead of renaming the file/folder.
Or alternatively as you did, add some marker or move away outside of the scanned folders the entries you want to "remove", clean library, then add back and scan / update library.
Yeah I found the "Clean Library" option. I thought that would remove all scraped material.. Since I got over 100 movies and 95% works perfectly I didn´t want to remove all those working covers since it took forever to download them with the scraper.. But after reading that info you linked to, it actually just removes the data not being used? So no risk of have to download every cover again?

I guess this is a temporary problem since most movies nowadays are in x264 format (1 cd only) and not like to good old days with xvid (often 2 cds).

I will try your second tip, to remove those folders and do a cleanup, then put them back and do a new scan..

Thanks man!
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

Don't mean to hijack this thread but if using Media Center Master to generate .nfo files I notice there are 3 versions of XBMC to generate metadata for - pre-Dharma, Dharma/Eden or Frodo.

For XBMC4XBOX 3.5 can somebody recomend which 'version' of XBMC MediaCenterMaster should generate .nfo files for? Cheers