Xbox HD upgrade

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
VanZan

Xbox HD upgrade

Post by VanZan »

My cousin's very young son paid a visit today and to keep him occupied I turned on my one remaining xbox. Turns out he loves The Hulk and is enthralled by Ultimate Destruction. So I'm faced with the headache of tracking down an xbox (after I had given a couple away to charity for nowt) and putting Hulk Ultimate Destruction on it. Although I'm hoping it would fit on a stock HD I do have a 200GB IDE lying around. So is the process of upgrading the HDD still dependent on me having a desktop pc (which I don't)?

Thanks for any help and Merry Xmas!
mrmajikbus45

Re: Xbox HD upgrade

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Check out my chimp guide in the tutorials section, or click on the link in my signature. Happy hunting!
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
2 Bunny

upgrade solution

Post by 2 Bunny »

Absolutely not! The computer based solutions of the past are now practically obsolete thanks to this.
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

If the xbox isnt a v1.6 I would do a tsop flash, chuck in the new hard drive and prepare it from Hexen - assuming the xbox is a pre 1.6 you could also remove the clock capacitor as well while you have the lid off
Mr_You

Post by Mr_You »

Confirmed success story! :D

Recently I successfully completed 2 Bunnys HD upgrade video tutorial on my softmod Xbox v1.0. I did use an old PC for the power supply to the new HD during the cloning process.

I upgraded to a used 2010 Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB PATA/IDE HD, model number WD5000AAKB-00H8A0, bought off Amazon.

I was thoroughly confused if I needed an LBA48 compatible BIOS, but mrmajikbus45 set me straight and I used Xphazers XBpartitioner instructions to properly format the F partition (partition 6) from 120GB (16KB clusters) to 458GB (32KB clusters) of usable space.

So far everything is working great and I'd be surprised if I ever end up running out of space for the games that I want to play.

The only other mod I will probably do is replacing the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU or other cooling improvements without upgrading the fan.
Xbox v1.0, softmod, WD Caviar Blue 500GB, Xbox HD AV Pack, Xbox DVD Kit
2 Bunny

TIME Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

dan.h wrote:If the xbox isnt a v1.6 I would do a tsop flash, chuck in the new hard drive and prepare it from Hexen - assuming the xbox is a pre 1.6 you could also remove the clock capacitor as well while you have the lid off
If you do that, the time will be lost any time power is lost. You're better off leaving it on there IMO.
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

But with a custom BIOS it won't care about that and boot straight into xbmc etc? Plus xbmc updates time over internet
Evertonman67

Post by Evertonman67 »

Get Slayers Evo-x version 2.9 from www.isozone.com.Burn it to disk.This version has Chimp preinstalled with other lots of goodies.I actually used this to upgrade my official 10gb HDD to a 300gb HDD IDE with no problem at all.