XBMC4Xbox Remote - Android app

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
freestile

Re: XBMC4Xbox Remote - Android app

Post by freestile »

Hey DanDar3 thanks for the help. Fortunately I was able to get it to connnect. I think it was due to my connection.
I was running the ethernet cable from the xbox to the laptop and getting connnection like that. It was online but for some reason I think
this had to do with the remote not being able to connect. I picked up one of those powerline ethernet adapters and the remote connected instantly. Definitely thinking there was some kind of network issue with that sort of piggybacking I was doing from the xbox to the laptop(not sure if thats the right term), but things seem to be going great. Thanks for the responses and keep up the good work DanDar3.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Very good freestile, enjoy :-)
bulgarianchopstick

Post by bulgarianchopstick »

Which was the last xbmc (xbox) version that is compatible with the official xbmc remote? I recently updated to the latest stable after a couple years of the trusty old xbox gathering dust and it seems the official xbmc remote no longer works. Unless it happens to be the newer xbmc remote is not compatible with the older xbox core? The webserver looks different than the old xbmc build I had and the remote errors out looking for a url that doesn't exist it seems so I assumed something has changed with the remote control interface. Thanks for the help!
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@bulgarianchopstick
Sorry, this is not a support thread for XBMC Remote Android app, I can't really say which was the last version to work with XBMC4Xbox.

If you want to use this one, I'd start with reading these (first post), see if they help:
https://sites.google.com/site/xbmc4xboxremoteandroid/

Don't confuse the Web interface with the HTTP API, they are separate things - the web interface you see it actually uses the HTTP API commands to do things, just like this remote app or the old one used to do, but that's under the covers. I believe the main XBMC Remote and the others you find in the Google Store have moved on to using the new JSON API interface, which XBMC4Xbox doesn't have.
bulgarianchopstick

Post by bulgarianchopstick »

Dan Dar3 wrote:@bulgarianchopstick
Sorry, this is not a support thread for XBMC Remote Android app, I can't really say which was the last version to work with XBMC4Xbox.

If you want to use this one, I'd start with reading these (first post), see if they help:
https://sites.google.com/site/xbmc4xboxremoteandroid/

Don't confuse the Web interface with the HTTP API, they are separate things - the web interface you see it actually uses the HTTP API commands to do things, just like this remote app or the old one used to do, but that's under the covers. I believe the main XBMC Remote and the others you find in the Google Store have moved on to using the new JSON API interface, which XBMC4Xbox doesn't have.
Gotcha. Yes the new remote looks for a /jsonrpc url, so perhaps I should try to locate an older version of the official remote. Just thought someone might know when support (either way) stopped. Thanks
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Well, anything you'd like to know about that remote app should be here:

http://code.google.com/p/android-xbmcremote/
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=129
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

v2.8 is out (see first post)
Genblacky

Post by Genblacky »

I cant find my XBMC4Xbox with XBMC4Xbox 2.8 android app.

Web server is on and working on port 8080.

My phone and pc can access the web server via web browser.

Other programs are allowed to control xbmc,

Xbox is using dhcp

XBMC is revision 31793

Xbox version 1.6

No mod chip, Soft Modded.

Stock Bios.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Genblacky
I believe the default port for XBMC4Xbox Web Server is 80 (mainline XBMC might be 8080) - the network scan works on that basis.
Second potential cause is custom web server user/password - you can manually enter those values in the XBMC4XBox entry yourself otherwise.

See Main > Help context menu or
https://sites.google.com/site/xbmc4xbox ... web-server
https://sites.google.com/site/xbmc4xbox ... nual-entry
Genblacky

Post by Genblacky »

Got it working so that's how you add manual entry kept looking in settings.

Awesome work on the phone app Dan!
chunk1982

Post by chunk1982 »

very very nice app dan, awesome gui and really well laid out!

many thanks

paull
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Thank you for your comments guys! We'll try and continue working and adding more features based on your feedback (and obviously the possibilities of the HTTP API :-)).
Working on a new release soon to improve feeds performance, change sound with hardware volume from DVD Remote activity and themes (dark, light, green - this last one for premium only).
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

v2.8.5 is out!
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Dan I've just rooted my nook ebook reader and have installed this so I can use it to control the music playback while I'm in the garden. It works a treat, I'm loving this thanks. I do have a couple of requests though...

I like to use it as a kind of jukebox and when I click a song I like it to be added to the queue. If I click songs in xbmc they are added to the queue as I have this setting enabled in xbmc4xbox but if I use the remote there doesn't seem to be anyway of adding to queue - the remote just stops whatever is currently playing and starts the new selection. Any chance of a fix?

The other thing I'd like to see and I'm not even sure how possible it is on xbox but here goes... I'd like to see an option in the music library section for "All Songs" under the artist name. At the moment it just shows the album titles but I'm never sure what album the songs I'm after are on! If there was an option for it could display every song listed alphabetically that would be immense.

Once I get some funds I'll be donating mate and updating to the full version :)

Oh and one other thing, is there a way to turn off the RSS ticker? It's absolutely no use on the nook ebook reader - the text is too garbled as the nook can't process the it quick enough. Cheers, keep up the great work.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Thanks whufclee.

I must look for this setting, but from what you're saying it controlls in XBMC4Xbox what to do when you choose a song, play or queue. Currently in remote if you click a song / file it will add it to the playlist (Music > Playlist ) and start playing it. You can hold (long press) to choose Play or Queue - I'll see if I can change the default behaviour per XBMC4Xbox setting you mention, this way you won't have to long press. Ideally I'll look into possibly using the contextual actionbar multi-selection so you actually see what you're selecting and choose a single action for all (like here http://developer.android.com/design/pat ... ction.html)

Music > Library only shows artists + albums. I'll see if I can add a separate mode for artists + songs, so you can not only browse but search (filter) as well if you need to.

No, no way to disable the ticker, I could make a setting for that (preferences). Out of curiosity though, as this might still be useful (the ticker is clickable to take you to the full listing), how does it garbled, can you send me a screenshot maybe?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Basically I'm using an ebook reader with e-ink and they aren't designed to act as android tablets - I just rooted it because I could :). As such any scrolling is jittery and flickers a bit, it's a fairly small screen too so you can make out it's an rss feed but the fonts are garbled and unreadable. I'm sure if I install on my proper tablet it will be fine but I got this cheap £29 Nook so I could use it outside to control my music in the garden while I'm sat on the decking with a beer and not worry about glare on the screen. To be honest the RSS feed is a very minor issue, it doesn't really bother me but I would switch it off if there was an option. Thanks mate.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Oh I get it now - because of the refresh rate, it's flashing on screen updates, that must be fairly annoying :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pBPsyno5PY#at=51

I'll see if I can detect the Nook from the code (or maybe the display refresh rate), and not make it scroll, but you still get to click it or scroll it yourself (actually this last part works even now to a certain extent).
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Gasman
You can choose a playlist in 2.8.8 now, see Music > Playlist > Open (top)
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

Dan Dar3 wrote:@Gasman
You can choose a playlist in 2.8.8 now, see Music > Playlist > Open (top)
Great. Thank you.:D
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

2.8.9 is out!

@Gasman
I hope it solves your feeds ticker issue on Nook.