XBMC4Xbox Remote - Android app

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Dan Dar3

Re: XBMC4Xbox Remote - Android app

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@sahib12
I just gave it a shot, didn't work very well, I'm afraid it'll be quite a bit of work for very little gain, sorry...
http://jakewharton.com/actionbarsherloc ... ry-part-1/
sahib12

Post by sahib12 »

Hey no problem dude, thank you very much for trying though. It was only for my mums phone anyway so no worries. :)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Sorry Sahib12, I tried again for a couple of hours with an older ActionBarSherlock 3.5.1, which is supposed to supposed to support Android 1.6, hitting all sorts of problems...
I might try again later, but this stuff is so frustrating - a lot of things have been fixed / changed since and cannot find solutions on the web anymore for these versions.

Say sorry to your mom, and maybe the good son could buy her a new phone for her birthday? ;-)
sahib12

Post by sahib12 »

hey if it's frustrating then just leave if it you want, like I said it's not very important. I know that people don't really have 1.6 anymore and any forums are probably outdated. lol yeah I suppose i'll have to get her a phone up to at least 2.1, thank you though for trying
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Hello! This is my first post in the forum. I have an old beloved XBOX in my room and thanks to your fantastic job it's the killer entertaining device of the whole house. Your's a great job! :D

I just tried the xbmc remote for android, and it feels really really great! I don't even have to point it towards the xbox to use it now...
Here's my turn now to give a small hint: I think it would be very very practical to make the keyboard input dialog on the phone screen disappear automatically once you press "done", so you get back to the usual remote buttons without pressing the back key on your phone. Actually i don't see the point of pressing firstly "done" and then the "back" key on the phone, since once we gave the input text we should be able to move around in the menu again. Wouldn't it be much more practical to press just the "done" button and automatically get back to the dvd remote dialog?

Big thanks!

Michele
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Wingman
Thanks Michele, that's a perfectly valid point, I'll include that in tonight's release.

The reason behind is that Keyboard used to be initially only accessible from the main screen, maybe even before I added the DVD Remote, so it was more of a helper for the controller or the actual dvd remote, and staying in the screen would've allowed you to create or rename multiple files / folders. Then DVD Remote screen appeared later and then made the Keyboard available from in there. But you're perfectly right, since you can bring the Keyboard up from the DVD Remote screen whenever you need to, it makes sense to close it once "done".
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

v2.7.5 is out...
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

Hey Dan how do I unlock the Premium features and support the developer on this one ? ;)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Hey Kozz,

It is hidden away in the Preferences / Settings in the Main activity (top right, first button) - thank you!

I'll use the opportunity to first thank 13 people for your direct contribution, and everyone else for using it!
You keep using it, I'll think of new features to add in - as a heads up, "Addons" are next...
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Well, I am a proud fan of open source software and i believe that since developing this kind of app is just a hobby rather than a job, any kind of deleoper support must be provided through donations.
If instead it's a full time (or even part time) job, i believe that the best compromise among users and developer is to build an ADS free app, with basic features for free and advanced features available after payment. Moreover, that additional features can be made available for free to users who actually give code or active contributions (like good and accepted ideas) to the project itself, in order to stimulate project growth and community contribution.

In such case i would deliver a full-featured ads free remote, while providing access to library and playlist in the full-featured version.

Today i also used it quite often, so i brainstormed some usability improvement i may tell you as soon as it becomes a well-defined idea :)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Wingman
I'd love to talk about all this at length, see the first post on the thread for TeamSpeak or email details - I'm on TeamSpeak every other night.

Over the years I've used and contributed back to a number of Open Source projects - including this one - so I'm sure we can put both our experiences together to a good use.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Perfect timing for some project stats at 1 year (since release on 2nd June 2012):
  • Number of releases: 19
  • Active installs (Google Play): 810
  • Other installs (direct download): ~30
  • Cost:
    • Google Play account: 25 $
    • Work hours (rough estimate) : ~300 h
  • Revenue:
    • Donations: 0 $
    • Google Play (after fees): 49.12 $
    • Ads: 5.43 $
foresto

Missing images. No watched indicator.

Post by foresto »

After months of frustration with the other xmbc remote apps, I just discovered this one. Thanks, Dan!

A couple problems I notice right off:

It isn't displaying images for my "stacked" movies (those that are split across two or more files) even though xbmc4xbox displays them just fine in both file view and library view.

It doesn't seem to have a "watched" indicator. This makes it difficult to know which TV episode to play if I don't remember the episode number of the last one I watched.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Thanks foresto, will look at these two next.
weinerschnitzel

Post by weinerschnitzel »

Thanks, Dan.

I'll make suggestions wherever I find necessary. I couldn't find a donate button for the project, do you have a public way to receive payment?
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Thanks weinerschnitzel,

I had a donate (PayPal) link in the Help page (Google Sites) for a while but removed the other day - I might bring it back, appreciated.
freestile

Post by freestile »

Hey DanDar good job on this it looks great, but for some reason I cant get a connection. The scan dont find my network as it says "noxbmc4xbox found" when I enter my network manually the little circle keeps spinning like its trying to look for a network but never connects and doesnt go green . The web server works so I dont think that has anything to do with it. The ethernet cable from the xbox hooked up to a laptop which is hooked up on wifi. Sharing that way I guess you could say. The xbox is online and everything else works , but for some reason I cant get the remote to connect. I think I entered in all my info right but it still wont connect. Not sure what I'm missing here, but I am online with the box as I can browse all my files and folders with no problem. I am also able to access the web server as well so I'm no sure whats up. Could you please let me know whats up? Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@freestile
Thanks! I would try to access the web server URL from the browser on your phone, what's the reply in there?
https://sites.google.com/site/xbmc4xbox ... web-server

One reason why it might fail is due to HTTP credentials, you should be able to set those in the XBMC4Xbox entry in the application.

I would also install a Ping application on the phone / tablet and try to ping the Xbox, is that stable, what is the average response time?

If you think everything is configured correctly, what happens if you try to browse movies of music from the application, does it work or it shows an error message? The message would be helpful cause it could say whether it timed-out (5s) or whether bad credentials etc.
freestile

Post by freestile »

Hey DanDar3 thanks for the response. I'm actually trying this on a polaroid pmid 702. Unfortunatle it was unsuccessful when trying to connect to as I get the "webpage not availiable screen" So not sure whats up. I think the http credentials as I just matched those to whats on the xbox. I'll try to get to instaling a ping applicationwhen I can get a chance. If I tried to browse music it said

"SocketTimeoutException:failed to connect to /10.42.0.26(port80) after 5000ms

so not sure wats up DanDar3. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@freestile
From what you're saying that looks like a network issue - the message says that the phone could not connect to that IP on port 80 after 5 seconds - and from your previous post you're connecting your Xbox to the internet through your laptop, probably using Internet Connection Sharing / NAT; which means that the Xbox has access out to the internet, but your phone won't access it as it's behind the laptop (sort of like your laptop is protected from outside by the router).

As this is becoming quite specific to your case, let's continue this on PM or email please and send me some more information about the laptop OS and how did you do the sharing (is it ICS or is it connection bridging etc).