XBMC4Xbox Remote - Android app

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
AwesomeNurd

Re: XBMC4Xbox Remote - Android app

Post by AwesomeNurd »

I tried the app on my new Android phone today, brilliant! I wanted to say that the premium button is broke for me, I also wanted to ask if possible to include a programs button like for videos, music etc.. I would love to have an interface to launch my games and emulators via the app with the thumbnails etc...

Keep the good work Dan!
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Thanks AwesomeNurd. That's is an interesting request, as tabs in Addons screen or maybe even a separate Programs button at the top... Didn't think a lot of people still used them, but sure. As heads up though, thinking to add some quick screen shortcuts into DVD Remote and Touch Pad screens so you jump screens much easily, maybe that'll do it for you, although I guess if you got a lot of them might be easier to scroll on your phone than on TV, ah we'll see.

I might have my Halo disc around to rip on hdd :-), but I don't use emulators - can you send me an email at dan.dar33 at gmail.com with some more details about your emulators, where you store them and things like that, maybe with what's inside one of the folders or how can I get one. I'm thinking about problems like listing them, retrieving and showing thumbnails for them and stuff like that.
Cissoubaka

Post by Cissoubaka »

Hello,

I have a suggestion for your app.

I gave an xbox modded to my parent-in-law, but the dvd remote is an unofficial model and i have to admit, it's nor fully fonctionnal, so I'll install your app on their android tablet next time I go their place.
But they're nor english natural speaker, and I think they only know "hello" and "goodbye" :lol: even if the text are minimal in the remote, i'm pretty sure they'll complain about langage.

So is it possible to localize it? I propose my help for the french.

I also have some other idea but as I didn't test your app I don't know if it already implemented or not.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Cissoubaka
I was expecting this to come up eventually :-) although most users seem to use English, I can see well behind that a few other languages: Dutch, Spanish, German and French.
There's very little text in it really, but sure, I can try to give an initial rough automated translation for these languages first, and then you and others can send me an email with corrections and improvements, sure.

Another issue around that area, that I would need to test is terms of content - say you got your XBMC4Xbox configure for French, do the movie details come across in French or English? That would be a bigger problem, but maybe it will just work if you scrape the movie / albums data in the database in your language (French).

There's still a lot of room for improvements and things I'd like to do, but sure any feedback or suggestions is more than welcome. You can find my email address in the first post here or in the About menu in the application.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Thanks for letting me store multiple boxes, that feature is making my life a lot easier.

The next thing I'd like to see - a DVD-remote homescreen app (or a number of different configurations). I like to fly over a couple screens and reach the XBMC controls.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@fxmech
You're welcome.

Yes, AwesomeNurd mentioned that as well, a new widget with DVD Remote functionality / buttons (as opposed to current one which is more like "Currently playing").
Widgets are a bit of pain in the arse, they don't layout nor behave like normal screens (internally), and the resizing capability (to see more content) is a bit limiting in terms of what it allows you to do.
I'll put it on the list though.
AwesomeNurd

Post by AwesomeNurd »

I've bought Premium yesterday to support your good work Dan :)
I have another suggestion if you don't mind :P: Adding the possibility to take a screenshot (not the for the app but for XBMC of course)

Cheers
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@AwesomeNurd
Thank you!

Yes, I had that in mind as well, will probably put it in Commands section.
There was an issue with TakeScreenshot functionality, which is not fixed in any 3.3.x release, you might need to update to a nightly if you find is not always working.
http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/issues/262

Working on a release as we speak, hope to have it soon over the next couple of days.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Dan Dar3 wrote:@fxmech
You're welcome.

Yes, AwesomeNurd mentioned that as well, a new widget with DVD Remote functionality / buttons (as opposed to current one which is more like "Currently playing").
Widgets are a bit of pain in the arse, they don't layout nor behave like normal screens (internally), and the resizing capability (to see more content) is a bit limiting in terms of what it allows you to do.
I'll put it on the list though.
Yatse widgets are pretty neat...

But so far in as XBOX is concerned, the keyboard is a really nice thing to have. If we have keyboard shortcut from the remote in the first place it would also help my life out a lot. :) If that were also included on a widget, boy, would I be a happy camper.

P.S., you speak of a widget already included in the remote. I must have overlooked it! I will move the app to phone storage if it isnt already, as I've noticed widgets aren't available from apps that are stored on the SD card.

Thanks again Dan, I hope to chat or write you on gmail if and when I have a few moments between the holidays.
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Is there a way to remove stored consoles that I'm not seeing? I didn't initially set up static DHCP for my Xbox when I installed a new router, so I have multiple auto detected IPs for the same Xbox that I would like to delete.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@AZImmortal
No, not yet - I'll add a way of deleting entries, as well as maybe when auto-detecting to store the MAC so that if auto-detected again with a different IP, it will overwrite the previous entry rather than create a new one.
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

The MAC idea sounds great. I never really liked IP-based identification in any program (not specifically this app) since IPs can change, so being able to store the MAC and have the IP automatically update would be awesome.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Sorry guys, I thought I would have an update before I left for holidays tomorrow, but it appears I won't (reworking some of the internals took longer than expected).
I'll have an update when I come back on 1st, till then, Happy New Year everyone!
AwesomeNurd

Post by AwesomeNurd »

No worries, enjoy your holidays and happy new year 2014 :D
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I loaded this up on my mom's Transformer tablet, and was wondering if you are working towards a way to display the main screen in the app to scale the screen? As it is the buttons for addons, TV, etc are all tiny and use very little real estate.

I don't own a tablet myself but figured I'd bug you about it anyway.
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

FWIW Dan, the buttons are plenty big enough for me, and my eyes are not great. :D

I see you have added quite a few since 2.6, so they can only get smaller if you add more. My tablet is a 7" Ziio.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@fxmech
Which Asus Transformer model exactly? screen size / resolution.

~~~~

@fxmech / Gasman

I know on a tablet in landscape mode it's too tall, it doesn't change in any way to use the horizontal space, especially on a 10" tablet, should be possible to make a change specific to 10" landscape where it puts more on a row so they fit entirely on screen.

~~~~

I appreciate the feedback, the more information I have about what you use and how and maybe what you'd like to change, even if I might not agree entirely, it's all good to know and I'll try to compile into a compromise that'll work for everyone, I like that part of the challenge.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

v2.9.5 is out!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Thanks Dan :)
radman1

Post by radman1 »

Thanks for this app
Downloaded it converted it for my playbook and installed it works really well other than the premium function