Weather showing as 'busy' on 3.3.3 NOW WORKING!

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Bingowings

Weather showing as 'busy' on 3.3.3 NOW WORKING!

Post by Bingowings »

Hello a newbie to these forums here.

I've installed previous versions of XBMC4XBOX and I've even upgraded a friends xbox to 3.3.3 before.

I tried to do it with my machine and it works pretty much as fine as all the other later installs but for some reason Weather is in a perpetual state of busy and never actually delivers the goods so to speak.

Uniquely this build wouldn't FTP (some of the file-names must be too long or something) so I installed it on the other machine via a DVD-RW and because my drive isn't as groovey I installed it via CD on my machine.

It's not showing an error (I'm not sure how to gather an error report if that is possible) and I've uninstalled the build completely and erased the cache and then reinstalled to no effect.

I downloaded the most recent nightly build and ran it separately and it too was hanging on the weather.
Do you think it might be a hidden file somewhere throwing a spanner in the works?

Any assistance here would be great because I love the player and it's great that it's being kept alive.

Many Thanks.
Last edited by Bingowings on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Weather showing as 'busy' on 3.3.3

Post by BuZz »

generaljewel

Post by generaljewel »

I noticed if you wait it does so up eventually or at times restarting xbmc. Seen it working for me.
Bingowings

Post by Bingowings »

Thanks for the replies.

I noticed that the time on the clock was wrong and after I adjusted it the Weather sprang to life.

Now it's working like a dream.
It probably was just a matter of time but at least it got me onto the forum.

Cheers again.
xbones

Re: Weather showing as 'busy' on 3.3.3 NOW WORKING!

Post by xbones »

I think I've got to the bottom of the random weather issues, also covered on this thread:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=7&t=1847

It looks like the returned xml from the weather site has been optimised and the 3.3.x releases can't cope. The reason it seems to come and go is that it depends on a few things:
  • The actual time according to weather site;
    The time according to your xbox;
    The location you're going for;
The xml change would appear to be that the first future day entry "dayf" no longer contains both day "d" and night "n" nodes IF the time according to weather site is now non-daytime - instead it just contains the "n" node. The existing xbmc code has a check based on local time to skip the first node assuming it to be "d" when it's after 7pm and tries to get the remaining "n" info. However, as the "d" info may not exist depending on the factors above, the code can end up with a null pDayTimeElement that causes it to hang and show busy.

Given the optimised xml it's now unnecessary to anything clever in xbmc and just use the first day/night "part", so the code in weather.cppcan be fixed by removing these two lines:
if (i == 0 && (time.wHour < 7 || time.wHour >= 19)) //weather.com works on a 7am to 7pm basis so grab night if its late in the day
pDayTimeElement = pDayTimeElement->NextSiblingElement("part");
You can check this yourself with existing 3.3.x as say it's evening UK and your first weather location is Auckland, NZ all is fine, but going to London will cause a busy and you'll need to restart.

I can put the change back into the SVN, but rather someone else did to avoid confusion, just let me know. I've only tested it based on 3.3.3 stable code base and could probably find a torrent of a fixed xbe if pushed in the meantime ;)

Thanks must go to the missus for spotting the time aspect of the busy feature :roll:
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

weather has been officially dead for some time. we are living off an api they for some reason never closed despite the mailouts - we are clinging onto something that should already be discontinued. it's lucky it works at all. if they change the api, I am not going to update as we should switch to something else.

Feel free to open a ticket on bugtracker though.
byron

Post by byron »

@ BuZz...I spent a fair amount of time trying to port wunderground a few months ago but had no success. Even if someone was able to get it working wouldn't we need our own key? I often thought about that while I was attempting to adapt and wondered if that might have been the reason it ultimately did not work...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

What is the question? Would each person need their own key for a weather underground script ? check their API rules/instructions.
byron

Post by byron »

Sorry, would it be fair for us to piggyback on mainline's key or would we need our own for x4x was my question. Wunderground will give anyone a key I think, accuweather and twc are more particular who they'll hand one out to. I wish I could figure out how to make the script work, and I was kind of hoping the upcoming python update would make it easier to adapt so I've just been patiently waiting :)
Mangraviti

Post by Mangraviti »

Anyone?

I have the exact same problem. Tried to change all things mentioned here, rebooting, doing everything I read everywhere with no success at all.

Should I create a new topic and hope that someone will look into it or just wait here for a good samaritan to answer clearly?
xbones

Post by xbones »

I've been using my modded weather.cpp fix as described in
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 931#p16704
for a month now and all seems ok.

I've added bug report as
http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/issues/277

I realise it may be a short term fix, but it's easy to implement and should help others until something else comes along.

@Mangraviti - you won't be able to resolve this issue with any setting changes -you'll need a new build with the mod described above.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@see 3.5-DEV
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 530#p17530
#32660 | 01/04/2014 03:05 pm | buzz | fixed: blank weather data under certain conditions - thanks to xbones for the fix - #277