[solved] installing xbmc on my xbox went wrong

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
satterdam

[solved] installing xbmc on my xbox went wrong

Post by satterdam »

I have a hardmodded xbox. when copying xbmc4xbox 3.1 to my xbox through ftp i accidently closed the ftp ptogram (filezilla) before the copying was finished. At that moment i didnt realise that. now at starting up the xbox only the red x logo appears and xbmc doesnt start up anymore. when i turn the box on by pressing the eject button for the cd player the xbox starts up with the original xbox screen tho. that works fine. I tried to connect to ftp on the original xbox screens to fix xbmc, but it i couldnt connect to ftp. So opened the xbox to get out the hd and connect to pc as slave. after i did that bios detected the hd but windows doesnt. now i'm stuck. does any1 know how i can i fix this?
Last edited by satterdam on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Dar3

Re: installing xbmc on my xbox went wrong

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@sattedram
I don't know what the red X logo is (might be coming from your modchip) or whether XBMC4Xbox actually runs after, but it goes blank, but you can try this:

Error Recovery Mode - press White+Y during startup
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Error_Recovery_Mode

That might give you FTP access where you can re-upload XBMC4Xbox - also, I don't know whether 3.1 is a typo, but you want 3.3.1 (search forums for community builds).
satterdam

Post by satterdam »

yes i meant 3.3.1 version. that red x logo appears when i turn on my xbox. it's probably from the modchip. after that screens comes, nothing happens anymore. i'll try that error recovey mode.
satterdam

Post by satterdam »

unfortunately recovery mode didnt work. the xbox sticks on the red xbox logo screen.
trogggy

Post by trogggy »

Download a recovery disc (Hexen or Slayers), burn it, stick it in the drive and re-boot the xbox. It should boot from the disc, which will give you FTP access.
satterdam

Post by satterdam »

so i dloaded some recovery disk iso's and burnt them on both cd-r and dvd+r, but both don't work. guess the xbox doesnt read them. i read somewhere the xbox is picky on the discs it reads and mostly dont read cd-r or dvd+r or dvd-r but cd-rw or dvd-rw should work. so now i will try with one of those.
trogggy

Post by trogggy »

Hexen on dvd-r boots fine on my box. Never tried it on anything else.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

If you want the best success rate, use Verbatim one.
satterdam

Post by satterdam »

i tried cd-rw and that didnt work too. had to buy a 10-pack of them since they aint sold per one. :p
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

CD-RW work, but go with quality brand names. Or identify your Xbox's DVD drive and search for what works best with yours.
http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox ... arison.htm
zx6r6

Post by zx6r6 »

Has your modchip got a config screen? Some have an ftp server and you can ftp direct to you hard drive. On an x3 you hold the white button on boot, another one i've got you hit eject when the light turns red briefly.
satterdam

Post by satterdam »

i don't see any config screen on my xbox. I took it to a repair shop but they couldnt fix it.
satterdam

Post by satterdam »

so i found out the xbox has a Philips dvd-drive. can't seem to find many brands of cd's or dvd that can be read by this one.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Verbatim DVD-R works on all makes and models, however as a general rule if you can't get hold of any verbatims I find if you try using a generic DVD-R doesn't work try a CD-R and you'll usually find you're in luck.
satterdam

Post by satterdam »

would verbatim dvd+r work as well?
spinnersp

Post by spinnersp »

also note that heXen takes a while to load, can take a couple of minutes. Be patient
xman

Post by xman »

Might be a silly question but have you tried a standard Xbox game disc to see if the DVDrive actually works?. If it does then you just need to find a brand of disc that will read for you and copy your install disc of choice to it. Might be wise to see what your actual modchip is, never know, it may be a twin bios modchip and the other bios path is active when selected. Never know you luck but either way, you will then know what type of modchip you actually have.
satterdam

Post by satterdam »

xman wrote:Might be a silly question but have you tried a standard Xbox game disc to see if the DVDrive actually works?. If it does then you just need to find a brand of disc that will read for you and copy your install disc of choice to it. Might be wise to see what your actual modchip is, never know, it may be a twin bios modchip and the other bios path is active when selected. Never know you luck but either way, you will then know what type of modchip you actually have.
yeah i tried that. dvdplayer works
satterdam

Post by satterdam »

i finally managed to create a boot disk that works. i burned the hexen iso on a philips dvd+r. It worked and i could reinstall xbmc.
Last edited by satterdam on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Well done. Please mark the thread as solved by editing the first post and prepending the tag [SOLVED] to the title in the "Subject" field.