Xbox 1.0 gpu fan replacement

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
anthonyp555

Xbox 1.0 gpu fan replacement

Post by anthonyp555 »

Hello, my gpu fan in my xbox is getting noisy and I was wondering what the voltage of this fan is and if any 40x40x10mm fan will work, if anyone has replaced the fan before could you link me to one that would work on ebay, and I don't want to replace the heat sink I would rather just swap the fans
Thanks
coacharnold

Re: Xbox 1.0 gpu fan replacement

Post by coacharnold »

(I thought the version 1.0 didn't have a gpu fan?)

I had the exact same problem and got fans from LLAMMA.....

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/

the noise didn't go away.... I finally removed the gpu completely. works perfect I only use my xbox for xbmc so there's no major graphics going on.

it's also very quiet now.. :-)

T
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

just any 4*40*10 fan wont work as the xbox one has offset tags to mount it some of the older nividia riva tnt graphics cards have the same mounting arangment and plug aragnment.

the fan is 12vdc and runs at aprox 5v supplied from the xbox fan output.

I would suggest replacing it with a modern heatsink and removing the fan as finding a fan with low miles on it may be hard and a few weeks down the track it might happen again with a 2nd hand one.

1.1 and above do not have fans the original 1.0 did.
anthonyp555

Post by anthonyp555 »

Thanks, can someone link me to a good heatsink?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

pick up a dead xbox of ebay or something and pilage the heat sink then you have spare bits like cd rom possibly cables etc...
anthonyp555

Post by anthonyp555 »

update on this, i took the gpu fan apart and added a drop of 10w-30 motor oil on it and its been working great for about 2 months :lol: no more noisy fan
infinity8x3

Post by infinity8x3 »

I really don't understand why ppl want to replace them fans. Passively cooled is the way to go if you can get away with it and in the xbox you absolutely can. It only took them one revision to find this out.... Fans have a 100% fail rate No fan ever invented will last forever in fact they are usually rated 30,00 to 50,000 hours. seems like a long time right? Well how old is a v1.0 xbox and who had it before you. You never know. Long story short If I ever got my hands on a v1.0 xbox the first thing i would do is replace that actively cooled heat sink with a passive one. And re apply thermal paste to both of the heat sinks.

Actively cooled heatsinks are not the future in fact they are getting obsolete. Look at tablets and phones, no fans on them and that's a good thing. In a perfect world even my pc wouldn't have a fan in it. One day tech will catch up and cpu/gpu's will use less energy, be smaller, and create less heat, while holding the same or higher clock speeds.
Got a pit bull?
http://mypitbullpro.com