Swap HDD to other Xbox

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Maza

Swap HDD to other Xbox

Post by Maza »

Because of the improved 128MB Ram support on the new build, I decided to get myself an Xbox motherboard with 128MB RAM in a month or so. The thing is I want to use the the HDD (Hexen & lxhdm method) which is installed in an Xbox 1.6, my question is what right course of action to use this HDD in the upgraded board? I just want to format it back to it's original state and perform the softmod again, but I'd rather have the answer from someone with more experience than to try and reinvent the wheel myself.
Xbox 1.4, softmod, 250 GB HDD, Monster Gamelink 400 X Component Video & Monster LightWave 100 X, silent fan mod, Confluence Lite 720p
trogggy

Re: Swap HDD to other Xbox

Post by trogggy »

If you're using xboxhdm just unlock the drive with that in your pc and you can do what you want with it afterwards.

Edit: sorry, misread - I'm not familiar with lxhdm. The above still holds though. Whatever method, you just need to unlock the drive.
lightcycle

Post by lightcycle »

once new motherboard is in you will need to perform a new softmod as existing hdd wont work on it till you do.
all the softmod info is held in the bios chip on the board itself and not on the hdd.same as the eeprom.
just use hexens disc to do it for you.problem is you will lose anything thats on your existing hdd.
trogggy

Post by trogggy »

You can use Hexen to perform a softmod???
How do you boot it in an unmodded box?
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

lightcycle wrote:once new motherboard is in you will need to perform a new softmod as existing hdd wont work on it till you do.
all the softmod info is held in the bios chip on the board itself and not on the hdd.same as the eeprom.
just use hexens disc to do it for you.problem is you will lose anything thats on your existing hdd.
This is 100% wrong.

@Maza:
As trogggy said, you just need to unlock the HDD from the 1st Xbox before to put it in the second one. (EvolutionX, HeXEn, lxhdm)
Your 128MB motherboard is most likely going to be TSOP'ed... You cannot use full 128MB on a softmoded (Stock BIOS) Xbox..
So no worry about that.. its just going to be a direct drop-in. You will even be able to format the HDD directly from your Xbox with just with HeXEn or whatever you like if you want.
Ideally if you where using a softmod on the 1st machine, just clean the softmod (remove) from it... (I think HeXEn got an option for that.)
Maza

Post by Maza »

So if i'm right I need to use the Hexen disc, unlock the HDD and after unlocking it remove the softmod. After this i can put it in the new board, which is probably TSOP'ed so no softmod is necessary?
Xbox 1.4, softmod, 250 GB HDD, Monster Gamelink 400 X Component Video & Monster LightWave 100 X, silent fan mod, Confluence Lite 720p